Yet more problematic stuff

Post Reply
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
Posts: 12740
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm
About me: Dijk beschermer
Location: 's-Gravenhage, Nederland
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Never mind. Reading skills are lacking by some.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

User avatar
Animavore
Nasty Hombre
Posts: 38488
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:26 am
Location: Ire Land.
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Animavore » Sun May 05, 2019 10:33 pm

The real problematic stuff.

This much is clear: the Arctic is warming fast, and frozen soils are starting to thaw, often for the first time in thousands of years. But how this happens is as murky as the mud that oozes from permafrost when ice melts.

As the temperature of the ground rises above freezing, microorganisms break down organic matter in the soil. Greenhouse gases — including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide — are released into the atmosphere, accelerating global warming. Soils in the permafrost region hold twice as much carbon as the atmosphere does — almost 1,600 billion tonnes1.

What fraction of that will decompose? Will it be released suddenly, or seep out slowly? We need to find out.

Current models of greenhouse-gas release and climate assume that permafrost thaws gradually from the surface downwards. Deeper layers of organic matter are exposed over decades or even centuries, and some models are beginning to track these slow changes.

But models are ignoring an even more troubling problem. Frozen soil doesn’t just lock up carbon — it physically holds the landscape together. Across the Arctic and Boreal regions, permafrost is collapsing suddenly as pockets of ice within it melt. Instead of a few centimetres of soil thawing each year, several metres of soil can become destabilized within days or weeks. The land can sink and be inundated by swelling lakes and wetlands.

Abrupt thawing of permafrost is dramatic to watch. Returning to field sites in Alaska, for example, we often find that lands that were forested a year ago are now covered with lakes2. Rivers that once ran clear are thick with sediment. Hillsides can liquefy, sometimes taking sensitive scientific equipment with them.

This type of thawing is a serious problem for communities living around the Arctic (see ‘Arctic permafrost’). Roads buckle, houses become unstable. Access to traditional foods is changing, because it is becoming dangerous to travel across the land to hunt. Families cannot reach lines of game traps that have supported them for generations.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586- ... M6ImOjf0pg


Climate change isn't some far off thing. It's here. Now. It's affecting communities and lifestyles. Reshaping our planet and affecting everything we've known about our planet for millennia.

And yet we have a whole right-wing in some of the World's biggest polluting countries living in denial and deliberately exasperating the problem. Callous scumbags without empathy or feeling for the millions of lives and livelihoods destroyed running the show.

I'm finding it harder and harder to see the petit squabbles between left and right over irrelevancies and countries withdrawing into themselves in a nationalistic furore at a time when we need to make a global effort to combat our suffocating atmosphere as anything but deeply short-sighted and stupid.

I'm trying not to fall into the nihilism of believing we are deservedly doomed for our incredible stupidity. But with each day I see less hope. I read a study the other day that over 50% of Brits refuse to change their lifestyle, even in principle, to help reduce CO2. I don't think we are going to change fast enough.

We need leadership and will and it's no where to be seen. Instead we have raging populists springing up everywhere, like a Captain on the Titanic inciting a class riot while the ship sinks.
"[Donald Trump] a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose".
- New Zealand mosque shooter.

User avatar
Seabass
Posts: 4709
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm
About me: Natural instinct for science
Location: DPRNA
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Seabass » Mon May 06, 2019 12:15 am

Image
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. ―H.L. Mencken

Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad. —Thomas Frank

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. —Einstein
I’m a nationalist. —Trump

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. —Hermann Göring

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:45 pm
Wait, something doesn't sound right.

[snipped irrelevant quibbling]
Your self-gratifying critique of the article doesn't detract from the fact that the administration instituted a policy of intentional cruelty to the families of asylum seekers, traumatizing innocent children with the idea of deterring people from finding refuge in the US who were desperate to escape deadly violence in their home countries. That it instituted this policy without proper arrangements for how to reunify the families it had separated, and had to cobble together something on the fly when the policy was stopped due to intense backlash from the US public. You assiduously ignore a couple of relevant sentences: 'The shortage of data has also complicated efforts to find many other children, potentially thousands, separated prior to zero tolerance. The administration's lawyers have said in court filings that reunification could take years.'

The statement that there was 'no way to link [parents] to their children' is not press hyperbole, it's taken from an email from one government official to another. You do your best to downplay the incompetence with which the administration went about its cruel and unnecessary policy of traumatizing children, but the article relates damning facts.
How did it not have "proper arrangements for how to reunify families" when 98.2% of the families were reunified, leaving 55 children still in HHS care? (That's according to the article).

Nothing in the article says that ANY children could not be found, or that it was complicated to find them. Rather, the article points out that ORR system could be used to find ANY child in a "few keystrokes." The kids were in HHS custody. HHS had a computer system which specified that information, and still has it.

The statement that there is "no way to link" is hyperbole, because there obviously WAS a way to link 98.2% of them. What the emails are referring to is the ability to merge two sets of data by two different government agencies that are not easily linked. It does not in the least say that you couldn't look up the location of the adults in the immigration system, and the kids in the HHS system.

Look - when the people are detained, they're asked for their identities, and that information is entered into the system. If kids were separated from adults, the kids when to HHS care, and their locations are known and in the HHS system. The adults are put in detention, so their location are known. When the adults are released, they and anyone from HHS could log into the ORR system and find the location of the kids. Further, when the adults were released, they were in almost all cases immediately reunited with the kids, either to deport them, or release them into US general population.

55 out of 3,000 remain. The article provides no explanation about these specific kids are adults involved, and why they haven't yet been reunited, if they can be at all. The article does not state that these 55 cannot be found. The article does not state that the adults associated with them cannot be found, or where they might be, if they are still in detention or if they were released. No example of a parent in search of a child is provided.

That's a pregnant omission. If you had 3,000 people separated from their children, and there was "no way to link" them -- thus causing them not to be reunited with their children - wouldn't there be some good footage for the nightly news, mothers and fathers in (justifiable) agony over waiting for their children who are in HHS custody, but unfortunately nobody can find them? Nobody can link them? Where is that? Where is the article "Undocumented Immigrant Released from Detention, Children Lost." Please don't tell me you think that CNN or MSNBC would hesitate for a second to put that right in Trump's lap. The reality is, that if we're left with 55 (at most) when the article was written, and 98.2% have been reunited, you' really do not have a problem. All you have is internal emails about computer record compatibility of different government agencies blown out of proportion.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 am

Seabass wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm
Seabass wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 am
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm
Tucker Carlson isn't racist
:read:
Ex-White Nationalist Says Tucker Carlson Hits Far-Right Messaging “Better Than They Have”

By family history and his own early bona fides, Derek Black was slated to have a successful career in white nationalism, as far as those things go. Black’s father, Don, is the founder of the oldest neo-Nazi website, the now-shuttered Stormfront; and was a grand wizard in the KKK; a member of the American Nazi Party; and was convicted in 1981 for attempting to overthrow the government of the Caribbean island of Dominica, part of a long dream for white nationalists to establish their own government. Derek Black’s mother, Chloe, was once married to David Duke.

As a child, Black, gifted as a coder, created a version of Stormfront for kids, and as a young man, hosted a talk show on the website. In 2008, as a 19-year-old, Black won a seat on the Palm Beach County Republican Executive Committee, although he was ultimately denied the position after the party learned of his background. According to reporter Eli Saslow, who wrote the book Rising Out of Hatred about Black, the young white nationalist had a serious influence on his father:

“One of Derek’s most lasting and damaging impacts on this white nationalist movement is that he convinced his father to scrub Stormfront of all racial slurs, all Nazi insignia … Derek thought the way [they were] going to reach more people is, instead of of using this kind of language, [they] need to play to this false, but unfortunately, very widely spread sense of white grievance that still exists in big parts of this country.”

But at the age of 24, Black disavowed white nationalism, writing in a letter to the Southern Poverty Law Center that he had abandoned the movement, citing experiences in college and extended conversations with Jewish friends as factors that led him from his former beliefs: “I acknowledge that things I have said as well as my actions have been harmful to people of color, people of Jewish descent, activists striving for opportunity and fairness for all, and others affected.”

All this to say, Black knows a thing or two about the rhetoric and long-term planning of the white-nationalist movement in America. And in a segment on The Van Jones Show this weekend, Black claimed that Fox News host Tucker Carlson is doing a better job at promoting whitenationalist rhetoric than SPLC–bona fide white nationalists are:

“It’s really, really alarming that my family watches Tucker Carlson show once and then watches it on the replay because they feel that he is making the white nationalist talking points better than they have and they’re trying to get some tips on how to advance it.”


http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/ ... rlson.html
LOL, you think that says Tucker Carlson is a racist? How about quoting Tucker Carlson saying something racist? I'm more than willing to call him a racist if he says or does something racist. However, I am not going to hold people to what a former white Nationalist says is the reason his family watches Tucker Carlson.

"The fundamental belief that drove my dad, drove my parents and my family, over decades, was that race was the defining feature of humanity ." Derek Black.

"... people should never be punished or rewarded on the basis of their skin color. Unlike the Left, we don't believe your DNA is the most important thing about you. Each of us is an individual, not a faceless member of a herd. We abhor defining people by race." - Tucker Carlson.
:funny: :funny: :funny:

Well then, you should explain to all the white supremacists who love Tucker Carlson that they've got him all wrong. I'm sure they'll all let out a sigh of disappointment and move on to someone else once you've set them straight.
White Supremacists say a lot of things -- https://www.jpost.com/American-Politics ... mar-582821

What are your thoughts on David Duke lauding Ilhan Omar?

Have they "got her all wrong?" I'm sure they'll let out a sigh of disappointment and ove on to someone else once you've set them straight, right?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 06, 2019 11:34 am

BarnettNewman wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:04 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm

LOL, you think that says Tucker Carlson is a racist? How about quoting Tucker Carlson saying something racist? I'm more than willing to call him a racist if he says or does something racist.
Quote? How about his own words.

Ah, yes, quotes from Carlson's old appearances on the "Bubba the Love Sponge" shock-jock radio show.
In his opinion piece, [Bubba The Love Sponge] hearkened back to the days of famed comedian Lenny Bruce. Bruce broke the comedic barriers of his time, being arrested and jailed on obscenity charges in 1964. [The Love Sponge] compared Carlson to the Bruce, writing that he “is being smeared by a new generation of speech police for a new crime — refusing to give in to a small group of political activists who love all forms of ‘diversity except of political thought.”

“In the marketplace of ideas, these guys are shoplifters,”[The Love Sponge] adds.
The Love Sponge went on to say -
“I host a comedy-driven radio show for guys. Until Sunday, no one confused it with something that should be taken seriously,” Clem wrote. “ … We are rude, sometimes profane.”

[Bubba the Love Sponge] wrote that Carlson “like all my guests, adopted an edgy comic persona” and said really “naughty things” for laughs. He noted that the roughly 100 episodes on which Carlson was a guest were never a secret.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-speech ... 1552518354
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
BarnettNewman
extemporaneous
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by BarnettNewman » Mon May 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Oh, you want his current racist quotes, not ones from eight years ago. Because he has clearly changed his worldview since then, I’m sure nothing he said applies.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25335
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 06, 2019 6:39 pm

:hehe: Contemporary racism trumps historical racism by a ratio of 5:2 - which means you have to find at least two and a half recent racist quotes from Tucker Carlson for every single past racist quote. Them's the rules bro'.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
Posts: 11883
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm
About me: philobarbaros
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon May 06, 2019 7:02 pm

--Moral Maths--

:hairfire:
"The world is nonsense bro"

User avatar
Seabass
Posts: 4709
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm
About me: Natural instinct for science
Location: DPRNA
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Seabass » Mon May 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 am
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Seabass wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm
Seabass wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 am
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm
Tucker Carlson isn't racist
:read:
Ex-White Nationalist Says Tucker Carlson Hits Far-Right Messaging “Better Than They Have”

By family history and his own early bona fides, Derek Black was slated to have a successful career in white nationalism, as far as those things go. Black’s father, Don, is the founder of the oldest neo-Nazi website, the now-shuttered Stormfront; and was a grand wizard in the KKK; a member of the American Nazi Party; and was convicted in 1981 for attempting to overthrow the government of the Caribbean island of Dominica, part of a long dream for white nationalists to establish their own government. Derek Black’s mother, Chloe, was once married to David Duke.

As a child, Black, gifted as a coder, created a version of Stormfront for kids, and as a young man, hosted a talk show on the website. In 2008, as a 19-year-old, Black won a seat on the Palm Beach County Republican Executive Committee, although he was ultimately denied the position after the party learned of his background. According to reporter Eli Saslow, who wrote the book Rising Out of Hatred about Black, the young white nationalist had a serious influence on his father:

“One of Derek’s most lasting and damaging impacts on this white nationalist movement is that he convinced his father to scrub Stormfront of all racial slurs, all Nazi insignia … Derek thought the way [they were] going to reach more people is, instead of of using this kind of language, [they] need to play to this false, but unfortunately, very widely spread sense of white grievance that still exists in big parts of this country.”

But at the age of 24, Black disavowed white nationalism, writing in a letter to the Southern Poverty Law Center that he had abandoned the movement, citing experiences in college and extended conversations with Jewish friends as factors that led him from his former beliefs: “I acknowledge that things I have said as well as my actions have been harmful to people of color, people of Jewish descent, activists striving for opportunity and fairness for all, and others affected.”

All this to say, Black knows a thing or two about the rhetoric and long-term planning of the white-nationalist movement in America. And in a segment on The Van Jones Show this weekend, Black claimed that Fox News host Tucker Carlson is doing a better job at promoting whitenationalist rhetoric than SPLC–bona fide white nationalists are:

“It’s really, really alarming that my family watches Tucker Carlson show once and then watches it on the replay because they feel that he is making the white nationalist talking points better than they have and they’re trying to get some tips on how to advance it.”


http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/ ... rlson.html
LOL, you think that says Tucker Carlson is a racist? How about quoting Tucker Carlson saying something racist? I'm more than willing to call him a racist if he says or does something racist. However, I am not going to hold people to what a former white Nationalist says is the reason his family watches Tucker Carlson.

"The fundamental belief that drove my dad, drove my parents and my family, over decades, was that race was the defining feature of humanity ." Derek Black.

"... people should never be punished or rewarded on the basis of their skin color. Unlike the Left, we don't believe your DNA is the most important thing about you. Each of us is an individual, not a faceless member of a herd. We abhor defining people by race." - Tucker Carlson.
:funny: :funny: :funny:

Well then, you should explain to all the white supremacists who love Tucker Carlson that they've got him all wrong. I'm sure they'll all let out a sigh of disappointment and move on to someone else once you've set them straight.
White Supremacists say a lot of things -- https://www.jpost.com/American-Politics ... mar-582821

What are your thoughts on David Duke lauding Ilhan Omar?

Have they "got her all wrong?" I'm sure they'll let out a sigh of disappointment and ove on to someone else once you've set them straight, right?
My thoughts are that he's trolling, obviously.
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. ―H.L. Mencken

Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad. —Thomas Frank

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. —Einstein
I’m a nationalist. —Trump

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. —Hermann Göring

User avatar
L'Emmerdeur
Posts: 2596
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:04 pm
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am

Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am
How did it not have "proper arrangements for how to reunify families" when 98.2% of the families were reunified, leaving 55 children still in HHS care? (That's according to the article).
There was no system in place, and at that time the UAC portal you tout listed 'about 60' links to parents out of nearly 3,000 children separated from their parents. Previous to the order being rescinded, the Trump administration hadn't bothered to effectively document family relationships for 98.2% of the separated children. The whole point of the article is that the Trump administration instituted the zero tolerance policy but didn't set up an effective means of reuniting families. Your attempted denial of this plain fact, while not surprising, is ridiculous.

It was only in response to the public outcry that the president rescinded the policy, and it was only then that the federal agencies began to cobble together a way to reunite families. Then a judge ordered children to be returned to their families in 30 days, but the agencies were unable to comply with that order in a timely manner. This was because it was only when they realized that they might actually be forced to reunify families that they began to manually populate spreadsheets.
Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am
The statement that there is "no way to link" is hyperbole, because there obviously WAS a way to link 98.2% of them. What the emails are referring to is the ability to merge two sets of data by two different government agencies that are not easily linked. It does not in the least say that you couldn't look up the location of the adults in the immigration system, and the kids in the HHS system.
That email from one government official to another wasn't hyperbole, it stated facts on the ground and has a date. What the government official was saying is that when the zero tolerance policy was rescinded a few days previous to the email the agencies were caught flat-footed; they didn't have a plan in place to reunite the families. That they were able to eventually succeed in reuniting most of the families once they were forced to doesn't negate the fact that they hadn't bothered to set up a system for reuniting them. It's transparently disingenuous to point to the fact that eventually most of the children were reunited with their parents. In no way does that excuse the Trump administration separating families with no system in place to reunite them.

I think it's reasonable to suspect that if the policy had not been rescinded and there had been no court order, most of those families would still be separated, the children being sent to sponsors. The government would be dragging its feet, claiming the task of reuniting families was 'onerous,' just as it has claimed regarding children separated from their parents previous to the zero tolerance policy.

The article makes clear that the Trump administration was ready and willing to separate families and traumatize children to further its agenda, but until it was forced to it didn't bother to put a system in place to reunite them with their parents. It isn't just NBC that is making this claim. The US Department of Health & Human Services Office of the Inspector General report says the same thing (page 5 of the report):
In June of 2018, no centralized system existed to identify, track, or connect families separated by DHS. Compliance with the Ms.L v.ICE court order therefore required HHS and DHS to undertake a significant new effort to rapidly identify children in ORR care who had been separated from their parents and reunify them. To facilitate this effort, the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) led a reunification Incident Management Team within HHS, drawing on ASPR’s experience in crisis response and data management and analysis, to assist ORR in identifying and reunifying separated children. Under ASPR’s direction, HHS coordinated closely with DHS and DOJ to develop a Tri-Department Plan, submitted to the Court on July 18, 2018, which describes ongoing processes to reunify Ms. L v.ICE class members with their children.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51043
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 07, 2019 3:50 am

Absolutely barbaric separating children from their parents for that long.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am
Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am
How did it not have "proper arrangements for how to reunify families" when 98.2% of the families were reunified, leaving 55 children still in HHS care? (That's according to the article).
There was no system in place, and at that time the UAC portal you tout listed 'about 60' links to parents out of nearly 3,000 children separated from their parents. Previous to the order being rescinded, the Trump administration hadn't bothered to effectively document family relationships for 98.2% of the separated children. The whole point of the article is that the Trump administration instituted the zero tolerance policy but didn't set up an effective means of reuniting families. Your attempted denial of this plain fact, while not surprising, is ridiculous.
Your claim is that there wasn't an effective means of reuniting families, despite the fact that 98.2% were reunited. Leaving 55 kids, says the article, in custody, and the article provides no explanation as to why the kids remain in custody (for example, that the adult did not want to be reunited, that the child was not the child of the adult, or that the person is still in custody for one reason or another). IN your view, 98.2% reunification rate is "no effective means" of reuniting.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am

It was only in response to the public outcry that the president rescinded the policy, and it was only then that the federal agencies began to cobble together a way to reunite families.
If by "cobble together" you mean "look up the parent in DHS data" and "look up the child in HHS data" then sure. The reality that you are ignoring is that DHS knew exactly where the adult was, because the adult was in custody, and HHS knew exactly where the children were, because they were in HHS care. The trouble identified in the email was in printing out a merged report. However, there were no missing people, and there was no trouble reuniting people. The article itself shows that - All the article is doing is bleating on about an email talking about merging multiple data sets. It does NOT say that they couldn't reunite people. They DID reunite people. It happened.

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am

Then a judge ordered children to be returned to their families in 30 days, but the agencies were unable to comply with that order in a timely manner. This was because it was only when they realized that they might actually be forced to reunify families that they began to manually populate spreadsheets.
manually populating spreadsheets was not necessary for reunificaiton. As an adult was released from custody, they looked up the child on the ORR system for HHS and said "oh, there the kid is" - release. Unification.

This horseshit nonsense is typical CNN type reporting. Create a maelstrom of controversy over nothing. 98.2% were reunified. Not a single adult is claiming to not be able to get their kid back. Not one. The best news reporters on the planet, reporting on a case where they say there was no way to link parents and children - only no parent says they can't get linked to their kid, and 98.2% of all parents were reunited with their kids. Let the outrage ensue.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am

The article makes clear that the Trump administration was ready and willing to separate families and traumatize children to further its agenda,
Traumatize children whom adults charged with their care had dragged hundreds and even thousands of miles through dangerous country, across open desert and grasslands, crossing an international border without inspection, led by coyotes in a knowingly illegal process, threatening their own children's very lives - and sometimes dragging other people's children across in order to take advantage of a system that does not, like European countries do, allow families to be detained together. And, the agenda being to get people to stop fucking doing that.

Right. Your own political agenda is showing.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am

but until it was forced to it didn't bother to put a system in place to reunite them with their parents.
There was a system in place. That's the system that did reunite them. As adults were released, they were reunited with the kids. There was no delay. If there was no system in place, then they would not have been able to be reunited.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am

It isn't just NBC that is making this claim. The US Department of Health & Human Services Office of the Inspector General report says the same thing (page 5 of the report):
In June of 2018, no centralized system existed to identify, track, or connect families separated by DHS. Compliance with the Ms.L v.ICE court order therefore required HHS and DHS to undertake a significant new effort to rapidly identify children in ORR care who had been separated from their parents and reunify them. To facilitate this effort, the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) led a reunification Incident Management Team within HHS, drawing on ASPR’s experience in crisis response and data management and analysis, to assist ORR in identifying and reunifying separated children. Under ASPR’s direction, HHS coordinated closely with DHS and DOJ to develop a Tri-Department Plan, submitted to the Court on July 18, 2018, which describes ongoing processes to reunify Ms. L v.ICE class members with their children.
All that paragraph says is that the systems of HHS and DHS were not integrated, and they weren't. However, the whereabouts of the adults were known to DHS/DOJ, and the whereabouts of the kids were known to HHS. So, they "coordinated closely to develop a tri-department plan to process reunifications. I.e. who and how looks up the names and locations of the adults, who and how they look up the names and locations of the kids, and then they transport them to the same place. That's it.

The article - and you - make it sound as if this was some mystery that just couldn't be solved - that the admnistration had no idea where anybody was and "couldn't" reunify them -- they were reunified. Will you admit that 98.2% were reunified, by your own article's own terms? So they were successful, and you are bitching about a non-issue?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Animavore
Nasty Hombre
Posts: 38488
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:26 am
Location: Ire Land.
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Animavore » Tue May 07, 2019 7:40 pm

How anyone can defend that scumbag in the Whitehouse and the evil Republican party at this point is beyond me. I guess the Trump supporters must see non-whites as subhumans or something.
"[Donald Trump] a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose".
- New Zealand mosque shooter.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Seabass wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:43 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 am
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Seabass wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm
Seabass wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 am


:read:

LOL, you think that says Tucker Carlson is a racist? How about quoting Tucker Carlson saying something racist? I'm more than willing to call him a racist if he says or does something racist. However, I am not going to hold people to what a former white Nationalist says is the reason his family watches Tucker Carlson.

"The fundamental belief that drove my dad, drove my parents and my family, over decades, was that race was the defining feature of humanity ." Derek Black.

"... people should never be punished or rewarded on the basis of their skin color. Unlike the Left, we don't believe your DNA is the most important thing about you. Each of us is an individual, not a faceless member of a herd. We abhor defining people by race." - Tucker Carlson.
:funny: :funny: :funny:

Well then, you should explain to all the white supremacists who love Tucker Carlson that they've got him all wrong. I'm sure they'll all let out a sigh of disappointment and move on to someone else once you've set them straight.
White Supremacists say a lot of things -- https://www.jpost.com/American-Politics ... mar-582821

What are your thoughts on David Duke lauding Ilhan Omar?

Have they "got her all wrong?" I'm sure they'll let out a sigh of disappointment and ove on to someone else once you've set them straight, right?
My thoughts are that he's trolling, obviously.
LOL - white supremacists and Nazis have traditionally gotten along with antisemitic Muslims. That's why the Arabs were allied with Germany in World War 2. Both groups hate Jews. The reason white supremacists like David Duke like Omar is they hear her anti-semitism loud and clear, and they David Duke crowd hate Jews the most. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 3ff009558a

Shit, that scumbag Omar defending the launching of 600 rockets into Israel. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ilhan- ... epublicans

And,
In 2012, as huge numbers of rockets rained down on Israel, Omar took to Twitter to make the disgusting, repulsive claim that “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.” This year, she made it clear that the America-Israel alliance was motivated not by shared interests and values but by Jewish money which buys politicians. She singled out AIPAC in particular as being guilty of a Jewish money conspiracy. And notice, she didn’t say that the America-Israel alliance is in part “about the Benjamins.” No, she said it was “all [my emphasis] about the Benjamins.” By doing so, she not only vilified Jews with a charge straight out of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, but impugned the integrity of her colleagues in the United States Congress by implying that they were all bought off and bribed. Then, during a discussion about American support for Israel, she stewed over a certain group of Americans who were “pushing for allegiance to a foreign country.”

Put yourself in our shoes. How would you feel if someone said you were a traitor to America because you’re a Jew?
“The most exciting things happen when people are extremely uncomfortable,” Rep. Omar said in an article headlined by the herculean photograph you took of her. I don’t know what “exciting things” Omar has planned, and I hope I never do. But I do know that she’s unleashed this crusade of making people “extremely uncomfortable” mostly on American Jews. She’s also making us Jews feel uncommon, unwelcome — even un-American.

Worse than being an antisemite (we’re used to those), Omar has become a celebrity antisemite.

Despite the fact that leaders from all sides of the political spectrum have come together to condemn her, there are those who can’t stop celebrating Omar, regardless of her irrepressible antisemitism. Omar has graced the front covers of Time, Rolling Stone and even the latest edition of Newsweek. She’s the subject of a documentary that premiered at Tribeca, and even made a cameo in the music video for the Maroon 5’s hit “Girls Like You,” which has two billion views on YouTube. Rolling Stone even listed her, along with Nancy Pelosi, as one of their four “Women Shaping America’s Future.”
https://www.jpost.com/Opinion/No-Holds- ... -us-588989

Of course white supremacists like her - she makes antisemitism cool in the media -and she can be bigoted and Jew-baiter and make the cover of magazines, and be considered the wave of the future - just what David Duke wants.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests