Carbon emission reduction: News and technology

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Carbon emission reduction: News and technology

Post by macdoc » Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:00 am

I think we are well past bau...electrification rocks on
Renewable energy passes 30% of world's electricity supply
The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com › article › may › renewab...
One good reason aside from environment...
hellish savings
Fellow rider bought a hybrid EV in 2017. 26k Cdn plus tax made it a no brainer instead of a Cruise... still driving it... not a single issue so far at 160,000km now. Has probably had 15 tanks of gas total.
Call it 500 km in an average ICE car per tank.
So 7500km in average car and he got 160,000km for the same 15 tanks
Plus far less maintenance cost.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> Yamaha MT-03 • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:04 am

He sounds like a communist.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:32 am

ur obsessed :smoke:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> Yamaha MT-03 • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:55 pm

macdoc wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2024 10:38 pm
The article is quite detailed enough and the take away is terrific. I'm quite confident in the inventor
"I am excited about it because there's nothing like it out there in terms of performance. It breaks new ground in our efforts to address the climate problem," he added.

According to Yaghi, the new material could be substituted easily into carbon capture systems already deployed or being piloted to remove CO2 from refinery emissions and capture atmospheric CO2 for storage underground.

UC Berkeley graduate student Zihui Zhou, the paper's first author, said that a mere 200 grams of the material, a bit less than half a pound, can take up as much CO2 in a year — 20 kilograms (44 pounds) — as a tree. :shock:
I'd be most interested in the physical transformation of 200 gm of the material into 20kg of end product...captured carbon.
It releases the carbon at a relatively low temp so the material can be recycled
When 400 ppm CO2 air is pumped through the COF at room temperature (25 °C) and 50% humidity, it reaches half capacity in about 18 minutes and is filled in about two hours. However, this depends on the sample form and could be speeded up to a fraction a minute when optimized. Heating to a relatively low temperature -- 60 °C, or 140 °F -- releases the CO2, and the COF is ready to adsorb CO2 again. It can hold up to 2 millimoles of CO2 per gram, standing out from other solid sorbents.
The article may be 'quite detailed', but it doesn't answer the questions does it?

===

UN Report Warns: Climate Crunch Time Is Here

Annual greenhouse gas emissions are at an all-time high, and urgent action must be taken to prevent catastrophic spikes in temperature and avoid the worst impact of climate change, according to a new report released on Thursday by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP).

In short, countries must start curbing emissions immediately, according to the UN Emissions Gap Report 2024.

"Climate crunch time is here," said UNEP Executive Director Inger Andersen.

"We need global mobilisation on a scale and pace never seen before, starting right now before the next round of climate pledges."

If not, she warned, the 1.5°C goal to cap rising temperatures set in the Paris Agreement on climate change "will soon be dead, and well below two degrees Celsius will take its place in the intensive care unit"...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:27 pm

Neither will the paper which will address the underlying chemistry not implementation.
Why repeat your doom and gloom prognostications without offering any solution. Gets old. :lou:
1.5 is long past and 2.0 is near term....reality is effective carbon capture /sequestration is required...not international agency nattering about unenforceable commitments.

This post addresses News and Technology ....not doomsaying as you are wont to offer.
This MOF development, based on a solid history can be the foundation for meeting that requirement
This is not vapourware...pardon the pun.
https://novomof.com/partner-for-co2-capture/

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:31 pm

macdoc wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:27 pm
Why repeat your doom and gloom prognostications without offering any solution. Gets old. :lou: ...
I'm quoting an article which reports on what UNFCCC scientists have said today in a press release. Take it up with them. And besides, I have offered solutions over in the climate science thread - many times in fact. I just don't think you ever read those posts - probably too long and challenging for you, eh?
macdoc wrote:
1.5 is long past and 2.0 is near term....reality is effective carbon capture /sequestration is required...not international agency nattering about unenforceable commitments.
You need to have a good hard think about what makes something an "unenforceable commitment", and why - and probably examine why you're now pretty keen to dismiss what UN scientists are saying about exceeding planetary boundaries, concerns about tipping points, the impacts of biodiversity loss, global mean temps, and the impacts thereof that will fall disproportionately harder on those least responsible. Perhaps you think you're being 'pragmatic', or something?
macdoc wrote:
This post addresses News and Technology ....not doomsaying as you are wont to offer.
Any maybe you need to recognise that 2-3°C above pre-industrial is effectively doomsday for our economies, our societies, and our ways of living.
macdoc wrote:
This MOF development, based on a solid history can be the foundation for meeting that requirement
This is not vapourware...pardon the pun.
https://novomof.com/partner-for-co2-capture/
You've said the same thing about Small Modular Reactors, Solar Radiation Management, Carbon Capture and Storage, Liquid Hydrogen, high-albedo paint, and fusion power in the past. The tech isn't the issue here - and I think you know it.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:13 pm

I told you Brian wouldn't like it.. :hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:56 pm

OK I found the paper on Professor Yaghi's site, which provides an electronic token to open it--first article in the "2024" section, click the "Full Article" link. As we expected it covers the chemistry, with mention of scalability/practicality at the very end.
Our studies demonstrate that this application in the open air is a marked advance towards achieving clean air. It is also clear that the present COF-999 is perhaps one of the first members of what we believe will be a large class of materials with a robust framework backbone that we expect will serve the general purpose of carbon capture very well. By applying this strategy, other reticular structures will have to be designed, examined and compared with COF-999 to further improve the capacity and performance. In the meantime, the scalability of this COF and the design of a practical device will be an important priority for future implementation of these materials.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:36 am

Thanks for that L'Emmy :tup:
ibid wrote:In the meantime, the scalability of this COF and the design of a practical device will be an important priority for future implementation of these materials.
No shit Sherlock!

Frank Zappa