Quantum Supremacy?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Quantum Supremacy?

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:14 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Re: Quantum Supremacy?

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:18 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 am

I've read an article in NewScientist about this competition between tech companies. When the technology emerges in mature form, it could be amazing...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:11 am

Imagine the Windoze updates. Updating Windows 1% Completed................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:45 am

There'd be a superposition of updates so that Windows would be both updated and not updated all the time, and you'd only find out what state it was in by collapsing the wave-function and trying to open an Excel document - so no change there then. :)

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:59 pm

:lol:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:56 pm

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Click this link to jump straight to the explanation.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:03 pm

Quantum device performs 2.6 billion years of computation in 4 minutes
The researchers have demonstrated something called a Gaussian boson sampling system. This is essentially a device designed to solve a single type of problem. It's based on devices called "beam splitters," so let's start with a closer look at how those work.

If you shine light on a mirror that is 50 percent reflective, called a beam splitter, then half the light will be transmitted and half reflected. If the light intensity is low enough that only a single photon is present, it is either reflected or transmitted with the same randomness as a fair coin toss. This is the idea behind a beam splitter, which can take an incoming stream of photons from a laser beam and divide it into two beams traveling in different directions.

A beam splitter at 45 degrees can be thought of as a four-port device (see picture). In that picture, you can see that if two identical photons are incident on the same beam splitter from two different ports, then the result is not entirely random. They will both exit the same port, though which port they exit is random...

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm

Physicists Find New State of Matter in a One-Dimensional Quantum Gas

As the story goes, the Greek mathematician and tinkerer Archimedes came across an invention while traveling through ancient Egypt that would later bear his name. It was a machine consisting of a screw housed inside a hollow tube that trapped and drew water upon rotation. Now, researchers led by Stanford University physicist Benjamin Lev have developed a quantum version of Archimedes’ screw that, instead of water, hauls fragile collections of gas atoms to higher and higher energy states without collapsing. Their discovery is detailed in a paper published today (January 14, 2021) in Science.

Experimental physicists have made a unique, one-dimensional quantum gas system that remains unusually stable as it’s pumped up to higher energy states. The researchers compare it to water being transported up an Archimedes’ screw.

“My expectation for our system was that the stability of the gas would only shift a little,” said Lev, who is an associate professor of applied physics and of physics in the School of Humanities and Sciences at Stanford. “I did not expect that I would see a dramatic, complete stabilization of it. That was beyond my wildest conception.”

Along the way, the researchers also observed the development of scar states – extremely rare trajectories of particles in an otherwise chaotic quantum system in which the particles repeatedly retrace their steps like tracks overlapping in the woods. Scar states are of particular interest because they may offer a protected refuge for information encoded in a quantum system. The existence of scar states within a quantum system with many interacting particles – known as a quantum many-body system – has only recently been confirmed. The Stanford experiment is the first example of the scar state in a many-body quantum gas and only the second ever real-world sighting of the phenomenon....

Frank Zappa