The Long Read

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: The Long Read

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:28 pm

frag; on the way to the new posts, I stumbled on rum's, and I miss him, bad.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:07 am

Aye, and many others long past review.

Here's a look at the contrast between anti-war military veterans in the US and the chickenhawk culture of the Trumpists.

'Undercover Patriots: Trump, Tulsa, and the Rise of Military Dissent'
It was June 20th and we antiwar vets had traveled all the way to Tulsa, Oklahoma, in the midst of a pandemic to protest President Trump’s latest folly, an election 2020 rally where he was to parade his goods and pretend all was well with this country.

We never planned to go inside the cavernous arena where that rally was to be held. I was part of our impromptu reconnaissance team that called an audible at the last moment. We suddenly decided to infiltrate not just the perimeter of that Tulsa rally, but the BOK Center itself. That meant I got a long, close look at the MAGA crowd there in what turned out to be a more than half-empty arena.

Our boots-on-the-ground coalition of two national antiwar veteran organizations -- About Face and Veterans for Peace (VFP) -- had thrown together a rather risky direct action event in coordination with the local activists who invited us.

We planned to climb the three main flagpoles around that center and replace an Old Glory, an Oklahoma state flag, and a Tulsa one with Black Lives-themed banners. Only on arrival, we found ourselves stymied by an eleventh-hour change in the security picture: new gates and unexpected police deployments. Hopping metal barriers and penetrating a sizable line of cops and National Guardsmen seemed to ensure a fruitless trip to jail, so into the under-attended indoor rally we went, to -- successfully it turned out -- find a backdoor route to those flagpoles.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:30 pm

The Unraveling of America.

Anthropologist Wade Davis on how COVID-19 signals the end of the American era

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... dlg98jgkl4
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.