Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

Post by Cunt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:07 am
The difficult things about getting and staying fit is first understanding that we're hardwired to stoke calories for a coming famine that hasn't arrive where we live for the last few generations, and second, and probably more important, is accepting the reality of our own bodies.
If you, the average hard-working dude, were to learn those facts you mentioned, that alone would solve the problem.

No, your suggestion is that people could fix it by just 'working harder'. That would follow, I mean. The problem is (the big one) that there is so much conflicting information available (much of it quite factual) and it is corrosive to the committment.

Reality helps a lot, too. Realistic goals prevent a lot of disappointment. After you select them, I mean. In a lot of ways, it is all disappointment all the way along.

Since learning to enjoy fitness in my forties, I've been focused on the fact that I will run slower and slower, for decades, then die.

If I'm lucky.

On the other hand, I dropped the intended 15 lbs since late last year, gotten to where I can do a few pullups (at 195lbs) and run an hour or two a day. I'm sure I'm in WAY better shape than most of my peers, and it's all based on boring, realistic expectations.

Like the fact that all the excess skin I had 100+ pounds ago, is still there, it just all...collects. My ass looks like it ate a lemon. 7-cheeks.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:49 am

Cunt wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:04 am
When you say 'you need a sceptical mindset', that is what has led me to be so suspicious of the claims made about Trump.
Yeah, well, in my previous post I provided a grossly simplified outline. In the real world distinguishing between false and accurate news is a lot more complicated. For starters, how you read what you read is an initial filter, and it is difficult to deal with. Then there is confirmation bias. And need I mention that some people are simply not very good at reading attentively or critically. Others are deficient in the analytical department. These and yet more complicating factors make it easier for some people to be misled without even realising it. It happens despite their best and honest efforts to avoid exactly that. No I don't exclude myself from getting trapped by the pitfalls.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:13 pm

There's Scepticism, and then there's the kind of Galaxian-level radical falliblism which places any and all claims on essentially the same footing as any imaginable alternative to those claims.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:13 pm
There's Scepticism, and then there's the kind of Galaxian-level radical falliblism which places any and all claims on essentially the same footing as any imaginable alternative to those claims.
:prof: Post-modernist intellectual alienation resulting in an existential crisis. :prof:

More common than you may realise.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 pm

Indubitably :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm

All narratives are true, none are privileged! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:05 pm

I'll believe facebook about 'fake news' when they take clear steps against the (possibly lucrative) health hoax businesses that advertise there.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 am

Cunt wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:05 pm
I'll believe facebook about 'fake news' when they take clear steps against the (possibly lucrative) health hoax businesses that advertise there.
There was one that claimed their product had 'undiscovered sodium clusters'. I asked how they would know if they were undiscovered?
Aparently a method unknown to Science.

That cleared that for me and I rushed out to buy 0 bottles.
If you’re worried that the sodium in celery is a problem because you’ve heard that “salt is salt,” know that the sodium in celery is not just salt or the basic mineral sodium. Medical research and science have not yet discovered the different varieties of sodium in celery, nor how beneficial they are. Celery’s naturally occurring sodium actually helps stabilize blood pressure, bringing it down when it’s too high and up when it’s too low. Further, it won’t dehydrate your organs—instead, it clings to toxic, dangerous salts from poor-quality foods and helps draw them out of your body while replacing them with undiscovered cluster salts.

These subgroups of sodium bond together as one and are infused with celery’s other critical chemical compounds and information that’s highly active in healing the body. Science has not yet deconstructed or studied these cluster salts. Eventually, research will reveal that these cluster salts work symbiotically and systematically to flush out toxins, dead pathogens such as viruses and bacteria, and pathogenic neurotoxins and debris from every crevice of the body.
https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/celery-juice
BArF−4

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 am

rainbow wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 am
Cunt wrote:
There was one that claimed their product had 'undiscovered sodium clusters'. I asked how they would know if they were undiscovered?

If you’re worried that the sodium in celery is a problem because you’ve heard that “salt is salt,” know that the sodium in celery is not just salt or the basic mineral sodium. Medical research and science have not yet discovered the different varieties of sodium in celery, nor how beneficial they are. Celery’s naturally occurring sodium actually helps stabilize blood pressure, bringing it down when it’s too high and up when it’s too low. Further, it won’t dehydrate your organs—instead, it clings to toxic, dangerous salts from poor-quality foods and helps draw them out of your body while replacing them with undiscovered cluster salts.

These subgroups of sodium bond together as one and are infused with celery’s other critical chemical compounds and information that’s highly active in healing the body. Science has not yet deconstructed or studied these cluster salts. Eventually, research will reveal that these cluster salts work symbiotically and systematically to flush out toxins, dead pathogens such as viruses and bacteria, and pathogenic neurotoxins and debris from every crevice of the body.
Every time I hear the mention of flushing or purging toxins from a human body I reach for JimC's gin bottle. :drunk:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 am
rainbow wrote:
Cunt wrote:

Every time I hear the mention of flushing or purging toxins from a human body I reach for JimC's gin bottle. :drunk:
Tequila purges even better :drunk:
BArF−4

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:42 am

rainbow wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am
Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 am
rainbow wrote:
Cunt wrote:

I must confess now, that I lied. Gin is actually a toxin itself. FACT! More harmful than corona. FACT! I wouldn't go within cooee of it.

Right now I'm swallowing the content of this as an antidote just in case. :drunk:

You could conceivably be poisoned by gin by just mentioning the name.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:42 am
I must confess now, that I lied. Gin is actually a toxin itself. FACT! More harmful than corona. FACT! I wouldn't go within cooee of it.

Right now I'm swallowing the content of this as an antidote just in case. :drunk:

You could conceivably be poisoned by gin by just mentioning the name.
Improving the human is basically a process of breaking it down, then allowing it to (during recovery) rebuild itself.

Today I'll work my legs hard, damaging the muscle fibers, then the natural rebuilding will take place, giving me better legs.

The same can be done for the heart, indirectly. Provide hard effort for it (intense cardio) and recover. Over time, recovery will happen quicker.

It's not rocket science people - to strengthen your bodies chances at 'de-toxing', you HAVE to tox it up. Not once, either. A BUNCH of times. Tox (grain alcohol has been improved over decades to serve) yourself with alcohol again and again - each time improves your 'de-toxifying' strength.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:03 pm

That suggest that one should steadily increase one's consumption of alcohol in order to boost the benefit of sobriety.

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:15 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:03 pm
That suggest that one should steadily increase one's consumption of alcohol in order to boost the benefit of sobriety.
it's like a cleanse, really.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:53 am

Facebook is out of control. If it were a country it would be North Korea

There is no power on this earth that is capable of holding Facebook to account. No legislature, no law enforcement agency, no regulator. Congress has failed. The EU has failed. When the Federal Trade Commission fined it a record $5bn for its role in the Cambridge Analytica scandal, its stock price actually went up.

Which is what makes this moment so interesting and, possibly, epochal. If the boycott of Facebook by some of the world’s biggest brands – Unilever, Coca-Cola, Starbucks – succeeds, it will be because it has targeted the only thing that Facebook understands: its bottom line. And if it fails, that will be another sort of landmark.

Because this is a company that facilitated an attack on a US election by a foreign power, that live-streamed a massacre then broadcast it to millions around the world, and helped incite a genocide.

I’ll say that again. It helped incite a genocide. A United Nations report says the use of Facebook played a “determining role” in inciting hate and violence against Myanmar’s Rohingya, which has seen tens of thousands die and hundreds of thousands flee for their lives...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... orth-korea

Frank Zappa