Global Climate Change Science News

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:00 am

An excellent, authoritative article from ABC news comprehensively debunking the common myths propagated by climate change deniers: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/201 ... d/11291724

Some extracts:
We may as well start at the top, with this wretched creature — the CO2-doesn't-cause-warming zombie.

Your defence? Yes. Yes it does.

The first scientist to show the link between CO2 and warming was Irish physicist and atmospheric scientist John Tyndall in 1859.

He found that water vapour, carbon dioxide and ozone were the best absorbers of atmospheric heat.

Then in 1896, another man with facial hair and a science degree called Svante Arrhenius showed just how much warming we could expect from burning fossil fuels.

But CO2 was below 300 parts per million at the time, and his findings were more of a scientific interest than cause for concern.

Now, more than 100 years later, there's been plenty of research into CO2, but as far as its effect on atmospheric warming goes not much has changed, according to Mark Howden, director of the Climate Change Institute and a vice chair of the IPCC.

"Anyone who says that this doesn't happen has to catch up with 150 years worth of science," Professor Howden said.

"The argument that small concentrations don't matter is an absolutely ridiculous one.

"You wouldn't propose that anyone take half a teaspoon of potassium cyanide — it's a small concentration in your body but we know it's fatal."

"[And] the scale of the increase [of CO2] is huge. In my lifetime it's gone up 100 parts per million."

And while we're on the topic, volcanoes — sometimes blamed for releasing more CO2 than humans — release only about 1 per cent of the CO2 that we do.
Unlike the end-Permian, volcanic activity on Earth right now is pretty low by geological standards, yet CO2 is rising faster and higher than it has been for as far back as our ice cores can show — about 800,000 years.

And we know that's because we're burning fossil fuels, according to Professor Howden.

"CO2 concentrations were 280ppm in the pre-industrial era, and they're now at 415ppm," he said.

"It's definitely due to humans because the isotopic signature of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has changed and it reflects the fact that additional carbon dioxide is being added from fossil fuels."

"Carbon dioxide from fossil fuels has a different isotopic signature from carbon dioxide from say, decomposing trees or grass."
Climate science is a conspiracy of the 'elites'

This one has many guises but basically says that there's a group of governments and global elites that stand to benefit from hoaxing the world into believing the climate is changing.

It's not that we should inherently trust governments, but instead that we should have a healthy scepticism of their competence.

To pull off this feat, so the conspiracy goes, they've conscripted groups including NASA, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, the UK Met Office, the CIA, thousands of climate scientists and universities wordwide, among a raft of others.

A well-known internet meme summarises it thusly:

"The plot: 97 per cent of the world's scientists contrive an environmental crisis, only to be exposed by a plucky band of billionaires and oil companies."
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:22 am

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:12 am

Cunt wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:55 pm
Anthropogenic climate change? I'm not a scientist, so claiming I 'believe in it' would be believing in some theory I haven't examined.
Encouraging uncertainty and doubt is an important strategy the fossil fuel industry has copied from the tobacco industry. Both have argued something like "the jury is out" or "there is no evidence" decades after they knew the truth.

Take Exxon, for example In 1977 its own senior scientist, James Black, told Exxon’s management committee “In the first place, there is general scientific agreement that the most likely manner in which mankind is influencing the global climate is through carbon dioxide release from the burning of fossil fuels," A year later he warned Exxon that doubling CO2 gases in the atmosphere would increase average global temperatures by two or three degrees (Link)

In 2017, two Harvard researchers examined 183 documents related to Exxon Mobil’s climate change communications. They found - to nobody's surprise - a marked discrepancy between what the company actually knew about climate change and what they said about it in public.
The discrepancy, the researchers said, was staggering. About 80 percent of Exxon Mobil’s research and internal memos acknowledged that climate change was real and caused by humans. However, 80 percent of the company’s newspaper ads regarding climate change questioned this fact, the study found.
(Link)

You can read the full, peer reviewed report here.

Upon release of the report Exxon maintained full lying mode. Company spokesman, Allan Jeffers, could not deny the existence of the internal memos and documents, so he flatout lied about their import. "We didn’t reach those conclusions" Yeah. Right. Misrepresentation through "loaded language and the selective use of material", he suggested. He said it shocked him. :roll:

So, not only are 97% of climate scientists in agreement about the reality of anthropogenic global warming, so is the fossil fuel industry, although it obviously keeps that one under its hat, but do keep singing the uncertainty and doubt tune. It's sung by the choir the fossil fuel industry wants everybody to join in, just like the uncertainty about lung cancer tune the tobacco industry kept going for years after it knew the actual truth.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 am

I'd love to give a physics exam, around first year university level, to climate change deniers...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:24 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:24 am
Cunt wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:55 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:15 am
Cunt wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 am
If you invoke Bill Nye the Actor Guy, or David Suzuki, I'll just laugh at their carbon emmissions.
The question is fucking simple. Do you believe in serious climate change? If so, do you believe in anthropogenic climate change? Why are you afraid to answer? :ask:
Do I believe in serious climate change? Yes, Asimov covered the changing climate in the 70's, in a piece of writing. I've found it to be reasonable to suppose that it is still changing, 40 years later.

Anthropogenic climate change? I'm not a scientist, so claiming I 'believe in it' would be believing in some theory I haven't examined.

Do humans have an effect? Yes. Do I believe it's been assessed clearly? Nope.
So you don't trust science, but you trust Big Oil propaganda.
So you trust the Government/Hollywood 'science agrees with globalists' message?

But you don't trust the company you buy oil from.

OK, but my guess is that if you had to make your own movies, they would be quirky fun and shitty. If you had to collect your own oil, you would simply stop using machines.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:02 am

I trust the science.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:22 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:02 am
I trust the science.
What does the science tell you about predicting the future of climate, with varying compliance from industrialized nations?

Still rock-solid on the predictions? I've kind of stopped trusting them after so many failures...
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:27 am

What failures?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:28 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:27 am
So you trust Big Oil propaganda instead.
Why are you trying to get me to agree with broad-brush strokes which are a cartoon of reality?

Do you assume I want to 'save the earth'? Do you?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:29 pm

Gonna be hot. Get an RV and drive to Finland or Canada!

More than the three and half years after negotiators ironed out the Paris Climate Agreement, the temperature in Paris this week soared to an all-time high, 108.7 degrees Fahrenheit, smashing the old record by 4 degrees. At the same time, all-time national highs were set in Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands. As most businesses and residences in these countries are not equipped with air conditioning, government authorities in Paris and elsewhere issued red alerts.

More energy-efficient air conditioning could help heat-stricken populations cope with rising temperatures, but will likely exacerbate the challenge posed by climate change.

Bloggers for the Paris-based International Energy Agency (IEA), plotted our energy scenarios this week in which "air conditioning is assumed to increase significantly over the next 30 years, with as much as 75 percent of the total population living in hot countries potentially having an air conditioner by 2050." That's a significant increase, as they estimate less than 10 percent of people in hot countries own an air conditioner today.

https://www.newsweek.com/global-warming ... ou-1451563
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 pm

Stinky bastards. Jesus, get ac.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:49 pm

Them Europeans? They could just all walk around in string bikinis! Shower at each street corner.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:50 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:49 pm
Them Europeans? They could just all walk around in string bikinis! Shower at each street corner.
I'm pretty sure they already do.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:13 am

Those dumbasses. Even if they had it they wouldn't turn it on.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:20 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:13 am
Those dumbasses. Even if they had it they wouldn't turn it on.
Lots of environmentalists talk about giving up their cars, but how many will give up their washers and dryers?

Fast fashion is destroying our oceans. Anyone not going nude whenever possible hates earth, hates oceans, and probably has unsightly genitals.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: