Even more problematic stuff

Locked
User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:29 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:00 pm
Actually, I'm not greatly in favour of harassing individuals whose politics you detest in their private lives. If they're speaking at a rally, for example, then have at them!
Sure, public protest is as American as apple pie, even if the protester is protesting against something good and in favor of something evil.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:28 pm
well unless you carefully scan the crowd before getting in, you're all too likely to notice the horrible people dining there only after being seated, would you stop everything and go away?
It's also possible that "you" are the horrible person, at least in the eyes of those others. So, if you grant yourself license to hurl expletives at Tucker Carlson, that same license belongs to Tucker. Shall our restaurants devolve into profane shouting matches?

Well, anyway, the surest way to lose support of the general public is to act like an ass to someone in a restaurant or at their home, or the like. Even Rush Limbaugh would garner sympathy if he were dining in a restaurant quietly, minding his own business, and a group of dickheads starting heckling and hounding him. If he sat quietly and filmed it, it would make him stronger, and it would make most people want to distance themselves from the dickhead hecklers.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 24095
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 am
I must've missed the memo. When did calling out white supremacists and ardent nationalists become being racists against whites?
When, for example, it's a bunch of Black Israelites yelling "white cracker faggots!" at a bunch of white teenagers minding their own business, and then the event being sold as some sort of offense committed by the white teenagers. That kind of thing.

The euphemism "calling out..." is often used to describe things that aren't actually calling anyone out on any actual wrongdoing.
For "calling out" you can read "criticism and/or rebuke; expressions of opposition to or disapproval of". Now, given the context of my remark (following the earlier exchange in which it was implied that we should 'single out for criticism or rebuke' those who 'call out' white supremacists and ardent nationalist in public, while advoiding focusing on the white supremacists or ardent nationalists themselves), would you care to address the question I posted and which you quoted above? The example of race-hatred given, while deplorable, does not represent any form of counter to my implied point - that 'calling out' race-obsessed bigots on there bigotry is not racism just because they happen to define themselves and their views by certain kinds of exclusionary terms. I 'call out' racist bigots for reasons that have nothing to do with whatever they think their race-group membership is, might, or should be.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:09 pm

I'd really ask you to identify the race obsessed bigots you're referring to. If it's Tucker Carlson, I'd certainly not support "calling him out" on his supposed race-obsessed bigotry. If it was a grand poobah of the KKK, I'd be inclined to sympathize with calling him out.

I find the streak of moralizing that has entered the group of folks who used to call themselves "liberal" to be rather distasteful. It's never been my practice to consider it my obligation to rebuke people who hold distasteful opinions. I don't find that to be a moral obligation, or even a moral action. Generally, it's an exercise in self-righteous narcissism done by people who in a previous era would likely have been carrying crosses, and who have now grasped for some other means of making themselves feel superior.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
trdsf
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:44 am
About me: High functioning sociopath. With your number.
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by trdsf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:23 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:24 pm
trdsf wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 am
And *that* said, I don't think I'd be able to resist if it were Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh. I need that scale of horrible before I become a dick.
Not sure I'd even go there. If I saw the horrid Hillary Clinton or some miserable Young Turk at a restaurant, I'd not be inclined to yell at them.
Yes, well, I know my limits. ;)

It's also very easy for me to say, also knowing the fact that the odds of such an encounter happening are almost, but not quite, zero.
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Cunt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:03 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 am
I must've missed the memo. When did calling out white supremacists and ardent nationalists become being racists against whites?
You misread. He said 'white nationalists'.

As I understand, nationalist is just a different political position from globalist.

And ardent means loving, right? So a loving nationalist is a problem for you why?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists


Hermit aka Seraph wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm
placed himself within a swinging arm's distance from said antifas

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50248
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:17 am

Because they are xenophobes.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Cunt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:30 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:17 am
Because they are xenophobes.
Who is?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists


Hermit aka Seraph wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm
placed himself within a swinging arm's distance from said antifas

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 61945
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:44 am

Many nationalist groups have a strong tinge of racism and xenophobia. This is not an outside judgement, but is self admitted, at least by the more extreme nationalist groups.

Nationalism as a broad definition may be relatively harmless, but in practice, political groups that embrace the term do so on the basis of defending an in-group from dangerous "others" - they play on human emotions very effectively...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Cunt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:03 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:44 am
Many nationalist groups have a strong tinge of racism and xenophobia. This is not an outside judgement, but is self admitted, at least by the more extreme nationalist groups.

Nationalism as a broad definition may be relatively harmless, but in practice, political groups that embrace the term do so on the basis of defending an in-group from dangerous "others" - they play on human emotions very effectively...
So harmless, unless you vaguely accuse the group of something...I get it. The 'other political groups' are racist.

Sounds like dogshit logic to me. Globalists are the real racists...they MUCH more often seem to be focused no the race of people.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists


Hermit aka Seraph wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm
placed himself within a swinging arm's distance from said antifas

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50248
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 am

Cunt wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:17 am
Because they are xenophobes.
Who is?
Nationalists. By definition.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Cunt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:31 am

Globalists are the real xenophobes. They fear discrete cultures and nations.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists


Hermit aka Seraph wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm
placed himself within a swinging arm's distance from said antifas

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50248
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:33 am

That's dumb, even by your standards.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by Cunt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 am

Painting groups is pretty dumb. Lets both try to stop, and see if you can maintain our respective positions.

I'm going to stop thinking pilots are trained to be self-important assholes. Where will you start?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists


Hermit aka Seraph wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm
placed himself within a swinging arm's distance from said antifas

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50248
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:39 am

What are babbling on about now?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest