Capitalism, The Best Solution to Poverty

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Capitalism, The Best Solution to Poverty

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 am

Forty Two wrote:This is not a thread about who's better, The Netherlands or the US. This is about whether capitalism is the best solution for poverty. US gun policy is not relevant to that discussion. The only person claiming some sort of superiority here is Dutchy, on behalf of the country he says is "exceptional" in relation to every other country in the world.

The US has its problems, and there are people who need help, as there are in all countries. But, by and large, the US poor are not poor by world standards. That's a reality. The people in the Netherlands, Belgium, England, Denmark, etc. - they too are not poor by world standards. It's the reality. The argument I was opposing was the one that said the US sucked so bad in this regard that it was an "outlier" compared to the "rest of the world."
You see I beg to differ. Gun policy is very important in the way it affects society and the general environment that people live and their attitude to other people. America's gun policy is typical of a sort of capitalism that I dont want to know. It is also the way American society deals with its poor and homeless. It is brutal and egoistic. Everyman for himself. Walking over bodies is a favourite way to reach the top. These are all symptoms of a greedy and selfish society. Your state of inequality is obvious proof. I am not against people having money but the amount that some have is just sick and symptomatic of American society. A prime example is the Walton family and the way their staff of Walmart is treated.
The Waltons have these riches thanks to the hard work of their own employees and all of us taxpayers. Based on recent estimates, Walmart receives $6.2 billion annually in taxpayer subsidies to make up for the low wages it pays its workers. Instead of paying workers enough to survive, the Waltons take billions from Walmart every year, while driving their workers on to food stamps and other public assistance.

This year, the Waltons will receive an estimated $3.2 billion in Walmart dividends. If they actually worked for their dividend checks, they would be handed $1.56 million every hour. Meanwhile, Walmart workers start at $9/hour and are routinely denied full-time work.
Now is that a fair society? People's taxes are paid to this rich family! This is how stupid things have become.

http://changewalmart.org/how-rich-are-the-waltons/
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:26 am

But imagine earning $9 an hour in Bangladesh? These employees are technically rich. :prof:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 am

I'm personally not against shareholders taking big bucks, so long as they earned the dosh in the first place.

It's when they inherited it that unfairness gets entrenched. When you die, the state should take the lot to give everyone a fair start in life.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 pm

pErvinalia wrote:But imagine earning $9 an hour in Bangladesh? These employees are technically rich. :prof:
Could you buy a car there earning that amount? Or a house?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:38 pm

You could have 7 of each!
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Small cars?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Forty Two wrote:This is not a thread about who's better, The Netherlands or the US. This is about whether capitalism is the best solution for poverty. US gun policy is not relevant to that discussion. The only person claiming some sort of superiority here is Dutchy, on behalf of the country he says is "exceptional" in relation to every other country in the world.

The US has its problems, and there are people who need help, as there are in all countries. But, by and large, the US poor are not poor by world standards. That's a reality. The people in the Netherlands, Belgium, England, Denmark, etc. - they too are not poor by world standards. It's the reality. The argument I was opposing was the one that said the US sucked so bad in this regard that it was an "outlier" compared to the "rest of the world."
You see I beg to differ. Gun policy is very important in the way it affects society and the general environment that people live and their attitude to other people. America's gun policy is typical of a sort of capitalism that I dont want to know. It is also the way American society deals with its poor and homeless. It is brutal and egoistic. Everyman for himself. Walking over bodies is a favourite way to reach the top. These are all symptoms of a greedy and selfish society. Your state of inequality is obvious proof. I am not against people having money but the amount that some have is just sick and symptomatic of American society. A prime example is the Walton family and the way their staff of Walmart is treated.
If the discussion was about which country is overall better, or which country's policies/laws are better, then you'd be right. However, US gun policy is not relevant to whether capitalism is the best solution to poverty. Gun policy is not a feature of capitalism per se, unless you are saying that gun regulation is anti-capitalist.

You argue that America deals with hits poor and homeless in a brutal and egoistic fashion - in this way, you, again, make this a pissing contest. Who is better? That's what you think is the issue. Capitalism remains the best solution to poverty, even if we were to assume, for the sake of argument, that the US is brutal and egoistic.

Now, to address your nonsense, it's just not true -- and it's a product of your own ignorance -- to say that the US deals with poor and homeless in a brutal and egoistic fashion. That's just ridiculous. In the US, the homeless can receive housing, food, and clothing for free. If a person in my town is homeless, they can get taken to a homeless shelter, receive welfare, food and funds, apply for housing, and get the aid they need to get off the streets. That's neither brutal, nor egoistic.

Look at what you really care about. You focus on the fact that some people have more money than you think is right. You don't say "look at X, they don't have enough." You focus on the Walton family, and that they have too much. Take away what they have, is what you would do. That's not a solution to poverty, though. That's a solution to wealth. And, that's what you're concerned about.

Did you see the state that there are actually more homeless per capita in the Netherregions than in the US? Slightly more. Almost equal, but the edge goes to the Netherlands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... population

Scot Dutchy wrote:
The Waltons have these riches thanks to the hard work of their own employees and all of us taxpayers. Based on recent estimates, Walmart receives $6.2 billion annually in taxpayer subsidies to make up for the low wages it pays its workers. Instead of paying workers enough to survive, the Waltons take billions from Walmart every year, while driving their workers on to food stamps and other public assistance.
They don't receive "subsidies." That's a misrepresented statistic, because what they are saying, really, is that people on minimum wage or work part time can apply for government benefits and not be denied. So, people making minimum wage are receiving food stamps. That's very likely true, but it's not a bad thing. If you have a social safety net, it doesn't have to be a net that only subsidizes those who have no job or work part time. The safety net is based on income and family size, so a guy working 20 hours per week at Wal-mart because he takes care of two kids at home the rest of the time, would still be able to receive government aid. That's not brutal or egoistic. That's a safety net.

Scot Dutchy wrote: This year, the Waltons will receive an estimated $3.2 billion in Walmart dividends. If they actually worked for their dividend checks, they would be handed $1.56 million every hour. Meanwhile, Walmart workers start at $9/hour and are routinely denied full-time work.
Well, you see, this is what happens when you start and own a company. Walmart is just about the most successful retailer in world history, and has managed to do great things for the consumer by virtue of its business. Walmart's food prices are about 1/2 or a 1/3 less of what one spends at other competing supermarkets. Food prices are very, very low there. The rest of the store sells everything else a household might need, and prices are almost invariably lower than the competition. That's a good thing.

Walmart workers start at $9 an hour, which is above the minimum wage. And, what that means is a young person can get a job at Walmart starting at age 16 or 17, and college students can work at Walmart, and spouses who need a part time job while the kids are in school, or just to defray some expenses can get a job there too. The elderly and handicapped also can work at Walmart, and do in droves. So, they start at $9 an hour, and they can work their way up over time. In 2018, Walmart is raising the starting salary for department managers to $15 an hour, which is $30k per year. That's almost the median income in Europe. To become a department manager, you just need to work a year or two as a line worker and get a promotion. So, 18, 19 and 20 year olds can be that. It's not a skill position.

Median per capita income in the Netherregions is $14,450 per year. That's working full time at $7.50 an hour in the US. Median HOUSEHOLD income in the Netherlands is $38k. That's $20 an hour. So, you're pissed off about Walmart paying workers $9 an hour TO START. If a husband and wife work there, they're making roughly the median income in the Netherlands -- $18 an hour. That's about $38k per year.

In the US, the median income is about $50k, because we have a system that pays its workers more than in the Netherlands.

In the US, the NATIONAL minimum is $7.25, but 1/2 the States have higher minimum wages than that, to reflect the different costs of living. North Dakota is different than New York.

I'm really sort of tired of your moralizing on this issue. You have just as much or more homeless in the Netherlands as in the US. You have about 20-25% lower median income. And, if you want talk about what you pay cashiers at supermarkets and stores? Here https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/neth ... O12,19.htm Looks like you pay workers 6 euros to 8 euros an hour to be a cashier in many retailers.

The Netherlands minimum wage of 8.95 euros per hour only applies to people 23 years and older. Younger workers, from 15 to 22 are paid from 30% to 80% of that.

So, spare me the crying about how bad the US is. Hour minimum wage is comparable, when we take into account cost of living. We don't pay as high taxes here, and local purchasing power in the Netherlands is about 25% lower than in the the US, and generally speaking cost of living is much lower in the US than the Netherlands.

You are just way off the mark with your understanding of the US. You bitch and moan about the $9 starting pay at Walmart -- for an unskilled checkout person, or greeter at the door, or someone bagging groceries or putting stock on a shelf -- and yet that is roughly the minimum wage in the Netherlands, which has a higher cost of living than the US. And, you bitch that the evil and uncaring nonexistent social welfare safety net doesn't take care of the people, but then when you post explicitly that the US social safety net actually pays welfare subsidies to people who are employed on the low end of the wage spectrum, you bitch at that and call it a "subsidy" to walmart.

Apparently, you ignore what your own country does, and you suggest that in the US, to be a good, kind country, we have to mandate a minimum wage nationwide that will make sure that any person with any job must make more than what would qualify them for government benefits. Otherwise, it's a subsidy to the employer.

Do you hold the Netherlands to the same standard? A minimum wage worker in the Netherlands, making 8.95 euro per year with 3 kids, would he be entitled to any government benefits? Yes, or no? If not, why not? Do you not have a generous social safety net? If so, why are you giving subsidies to employer who refuse to pay workers 20 euros per hour?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 pm

No more free Obamaphones for the poor! Veterans can keep homeless centers!
President Donald Trump’s approval rating increased to the highest mark in months, according to a new Politico/Morning Consult poll, but in his daughter-in-law Lara Trump’s opinion, the numbers don’t fully reflect the real story.

“I think you’re seeing the numbers tick up because people can’t deny what is happening in this country,” Trump told FOX Business’ Maria Bartiromo on “Mornings with Maria.”
http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/201 ... trump.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:56 pm

mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:Note that poverty is defined as 60% of median income.
That's not a measure of poverty, it's a measure of equality. You can be in the top ten percent in Afghanistan, and still be dirt poor. But not by that measure.
Precisely.

That's the nature of the comparison in the OECD's Better Life Index, where the bottom 10% in the US, Australia and Canada, live better than the average person in all but a few other countries.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Small cars?
No no. These people live better than the top 10%, nay, 1% in Bangladesh. Therefore they would have a fleet of Mercedes!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The poor in Germany 16.7% -- the poor in France 14%. United Kingdom 15%

Percentage below the poverty line in Italy - 29.9%
Orly? Let's see your sources. And the criteria used.
https://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=69 (Germany 15, UK 16.2, France 7.9, Italy 29.9) and https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... /2046.html (Germany 16.7, France 14, UK 15, and Italy 29.9) - difference depends on the year.

So, those are the ballparks.

I'll re-address the rest of your post in detail when I get a chance.
Last edited by Forty Two on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Forty Two wrote:
That's the nature of the comparison in the OECD's Better Life Index, where the bottom 10% in the US, Australia and Canada, live better than the average person in all but a few other countries.
Still bullshitting. I hope for your sake you have me on ignore and have missed my posts pointing out why this is all bullshit.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Another load of garbage noted 42. Get your facts right will you. As in every post you post your facts are way off the mark. Our cost of living is nowhere as high as America.
New York is 6th world wide and Amsterdam 34th.

Expatistan Cost of Living Index
Cost of Living Index 2017 Mid-Year

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The poor in Germany 16.7% -- the poor in France 14%. United Kingdom 15%

Percentage below the poverty line in Italy - 29.9%
Orly? Let's see your sources. And the criteria used.
https://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=69 (Germany 15, UK 16.2, France 7.9, Italy 29.9) and https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... /2046.html (Germany 16.7, France 14, UK 15, and Italy 29.9) - difference depends on the year.

So, those are the ballparks.

Now, on to your measure of poverty. In 2016, the median household income was $59,000 per year. Sixty percent of $59,000 is $35,000. So, the "poverty line" is the higher than the median household income in Germany, and almost as high as the median household income in the Netherlands. http://news.gallup.com/poll/166211/worl ... e-000.aspx

So, you see the issue there. If people are making $30,000 to $35,000 a year in the US, they meet the definition of "poverty." Whereas, in Germany, 60% of household income is $19,800 and in the Netherlands it's $22,800. In both Germany and Netherlands the cost of living is higher, purchasing power is lower.

That should illustrate why the US is shown to have a lot more "below the poverty line." $30,000 a year in the US is $15 an hour. $35,000 is $17.50 an hour. Someone making $40,000 a year in the US is only slightly above the poverty line.
Again, you show you don't understand PPP dollars. Median household income in US vs Germany is $43k vs $33k. 60% of 43k is 26k.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_in ... old_income

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote:.

I am not a right winger, and it is you who don't post facts. You posted one article from clickbait Slate, and it did not contradict the OECD data or the US government data, and did not contradict the Pew Research data. You ignore all that, preferring to go with your "everything is better in the Netherlands" routine.

You have not posted any OECD data. Stop saying you have.
I linked to the OECD website, which contained data.
pErvinalia wrote:
In a first world country like the US, people who are low income still tend to own houses, cars, and have disposable income.

You've been asked to back this up multiple times by multiple people. What's wrong with you?
I did - Posted the stats on the US, where it gave the percentage of the poor who owned various items. You are not bothering to look at the data and just going into insult mode again.

You claim you refuted something, when you did not. Your own conclusory declarations that what I said was wrong is neither an explanation nor a refutation. You're just hand-waving as usual, and I note you are just trying to get other people to ignore the links and sources that I've provided, which provide explanations in greater detail, on some trumped up charge that I'm lying.

Fuck off, pErvinalia. I do have you on ignore. And, when I noticed that you claimed you had posted some take-down of my info that I supposedly ignored, I clicked through your posts, and noted insult after insult and claim after claim that I'm lying. And, in one post, you said the Better Life Index is an average and says nothing about the poor - that right there is horseshit, because the data presented show the level of the bottom 10% vs the top 10% of given populations in given countries. So, yest, it's an average, but it's an average OF THE BOTTOM 10%, and and average OF THE TOP 10%. That's how the numbers can be compared. When you compare the bottom 10% in the US vs the bottom 10% in Italy, Germany or France, you are comparing the average of that bottom 10% in each country, which is a perfectly relevant statistic.

Now, this all I'm going to say about your nonsense posts, because you never cite sources, and you never post specifics - you just make general hand-waving denials, declarations that I've lied or been disingenuous and then you try your darndest to get other people to stop reading the links and sites that I've provided. You even poo-poo The Economist's presentation of the OECD Data, with the economist hardly being a pro-US, right wing source. And, then you say I never posted to any OECD data, when I absolutely did - both directly throough links to the OECD website, and to wikipedia summaries of that data, and to Forbes interpretation of that data, and other sources interpretation of that data, like the Economist and others.

So, I'm not going to get back into a back and forth with you. You are just a friggin' troll who tries to disrupt threads with your insults and constant bullshit, trying to get other people to stop talking about an issue that doesn't jibe with your preferred "narrative."