The lynching of Harvey Weinstein

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The lynching of Harvey Weinstein

Post by JimC » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Well, that's the "gold-digger" bit, which is a constant refrain of his when historical sexual misdeeds by powerful men come to light...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 pm

JimC wrote:Well, that's the "gold-digger" bit, which is a constant refrain of his when historical sexual misdeeds by powerful men come to light...
Which is why I referred to it as one of his routines. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Oh, it's all so confusing for us men - even when they're gagging for it they don't want us to touch them!!! We're all so bloody emasculated, boo hoo, wail, gnash teeth, rent robes etc.

How many more times are we going to be treated to hand-wringing excuses and interminable red-herring debates about 'mixed-signals' and 'gold-diggers' when some predatory celeb hits the headlines?

:|
Who is doing this?
mistermack, for one...
No. At least not in this thread. He did get on to his "women are manipulative", "women do it for the money" and "women make false accusations" routines, though.
Well, in all fairness, they, like men, are manipulative, do it for money, and make false accusations - well, at least some men and women do all of those things, sometimes. Women are no less likely, as far as I've seen, to do that than men would.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 pm

The danger of course is that with that attitude as a starting point we will do what we did in the past - dismiss genuine complaints about abuse of all sorts perpetrated over the generations, essentially to excuse and defend the status quo. I was talking to my 91 year old mother earlier today as we were out walking (she keeps up too!) about this story and she commented that when she was young in the late 20s, 30s and 40s men ruled the roost completely. Children and often wives were kept in 'place' with violence or the threat of it - certainly with fear. Education was delivered with punishment for failure to remember your stuff verbatim.

I am not responsible for the misdeeds of me gender thank god, but we (and Weinstein) deserve a damned good sorting out.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Agreed, Rum. We need to keep a careful eye out for those occasions where false accusations are made (some feminists might deny that ever happens, but that would be a bit absurd...), but there is no doubt that a lot of damage was done by powerful men using their influence for their own gratification, relying on a code of silence. I do think that this is at least less likely to occur now than in the past...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm

JimC wrote:Agreed, Rum. We need to keep a careful eye out for those occasions where false accusations are made (some feminists might deny that ever happens, but that would be a bit absurd...), but there is no doubt that a lot of damage was done by powerful men using their influence for their own gratification, relying on a code of silence. I do think that this is at least less likely to occur now than in the past...
I hope and think you are right. And of course a case like Weinstein's is likely to bring out the bandwagoners for the purposes of publicity or potential monetary gain. The likes of Mistermack however seem to me to look down the wrong and of the telescope and assume ulterior motive as the most common motivating factor. Not only is that cynical, it is as I say, supportive of 'the way things are' - the status quo.

In my decade and a half as a child protection social worker the balance between truth, fiction, fantasy and reality was often tricky and we sometimes got it wrong, but listening to the victim was usually the right way to go.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Oh, it's all so confusing for us men - even when they're gagging for it they don't want us to touch them!!! We're all so bloody emasculated, boo hoo, wail, gnash teeth, rent robes etc.

How many more times are we going to be treated to hand-wringing excuses and interminable red-herring debates about 'mixed-signals' and 'gold-diggers' when some predatory celeb hits the headlines?

Who is doing this?
mistermack, for one...
No. At least not in this thread. He did get on to his "women are manipulative", "women do it for the money" and "women make false accusations" routines, though.
Well, in all fairness, they, like men, are manipulative, do it for money, and make false accusations - well, at least some men and women do all of those things, sometimes. Women are no less likely, as far as I've seen, to do that than men would.
Yes, but Mistermack never mentions that men do that as well as women. In fact, he singles out women to slap that kind of behaviour on. It's innate to them, he says: "Most women make those calculations without even thinking about it. They evolved it as an innate ability." And he does that routine every fucking time we discuss news about a sexual predator or an alleged sexual predator. Says more about mm than women. I really wonder if he has been burnt by a goldminer some time in the past, and the realisation that she was after his money rather than attracted to his looks, charm, wit, and sexual prowess has done some serious and lasting damage to his psyche.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 am

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

Who is doing this?
mistermack, for one...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:13 am

pErvin wrote:
Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

Who is doing this?
mistermack, for one...
Every gold-digger does it for the money, but few who do it for the money are gold-diggers.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 am

:think:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:55 am

devogue wrote:It really is horrifying to witness the extrajudicial downfall of Harvey Weinstein.
In a sophisticated civilisation, is it not a fundamental tenet that issues of criminality be treated with the utmost rigour ad seriousness within the framework of a legal system?
While it seems that there may be plenty of fire creating this smoke, Weinstein's right to defend himself is being destroyed by a media clamour fuelled by Hollywood stars.
If Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie were assaulted by him then they should press charges against him. They should not get a free pass to make such serious claims in the media, and the New Yorkers claim of multiple rapes should not be used to sell papers with shock value but should also be reported to the police so judicial action can proceed. As for the torrent of disowning and condemnation from Ben Affleck, George Clooney and others, they should be silent at this stage. Their comments add nothing but extra hysteria.
We are living in very dangerous times and we need to step back. Harvey Weinstein's right to due process, to a calm, methodical weighing of the evidence against him is paramount - he may indeed be guilty but the media need to step the fuck back and allow some air in to this.
What makes you think that US society is a "sophisticated civilization" ? What gives you the idea that in Amerikkka issues of criminality are/should be treated with the utmost rigor & seriousness? After all, the first principle of US jurisprudence is "Guilty until proven innocent". And as we've seen time after time people elsewhere are murdered by the millions to serve political goals.

Any accusations made before 25 years have passed should be ignored. The Statute of Limitations dictates that when making sex crime allegations the 'victim' or police have to allow at least 25 years to have passed before pressing charges. You can see this in practice in many case, such as Rolf Harris and Archbishop Governor General Peter Hollingworth.
The reason for this is that 'evidence' becomes more persuasive with the passage of time. Proving that someone raped you last night is difficult and contentious. But if you wait 25 or more years it becomes a self-evident truth.
This is especially so if there were no witnesses and the accusation is made by a female, or an SJW of the LGBPQRSTUVWXYZ variety. It goes without saying that a claim made by a woman is worth more than twice the defense made by a man... who by nature are all violent sexual perverts, or potentially so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwPFnvniA7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idXcRIa1Apo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7reSQd3uiA

Any cognizant person can see the agendas: "Gather what you desire for yourself, and deny it to your enemy". In modern feminism, the women want other women, and they do not want any men (their enemy) to have them. But I suppose that's a 'sexist' observation? :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 am

Someone's no getting enough. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:06 am

So all the allegations are made up then according to Glaxo? A bit like all his deep gummint posts then.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 am

I want to see the videos exposing conspiracies that have never been in the news.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am

Galaxian wrote:
devogue wrote:It really is horrifying to witness the extrajudicial downfall of Harvey Weinstein.
In a sophisticated civilisation, is it not a fundamental tenet that issues of criminality be treated with the utmost rigour ad seriousness within the framework of a legal system?
While it seems that there may be plenty of fire creating this smoke, Weinstein's right to defend himself is being destroyed by a media clamour fuelled by Hollywood stars.
If Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie were assaulted by him then they should press charges against him. They should not get a free pass to make such serious claims in the media, and the New Yorkers claim of multiple rapes should not be used to sell papers with shock value but should also be reported to the police so judicial action can proceed. As for the torrent of disowning and condemnation from Ben Affleck, George Clooney and others, they should be silent at this stage. Their comments add nothing but extra hysteria.
We are living in very dangerous times and we need to step back. Harvey Weinstein's right to due process, to a calm, methodical weighing of the evidence against him is paramount - he may indeed be guilty but the media need to step the fuck back and allow some air in to this.
What makes you think that US society is a "sophisticated civilization" ? What gives you the idea that in Amerikkka
I thought you were a fan of Donald Trump. The KKK love him.