Global Climate Change Science News

beige

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by beige » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 pm

In continuation: http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 30,00.html
Last year's climate summit in Copenhagen was a political disaster. Leaked US diplomatic cables now show why the summit failed so spectacularly. The dispatches reveal that the US and China, the world's top two polluters, joined forces to stymie every attempt by European nations to reach agreement.
In the best laid plans of history lie the ruins of the past
And a chronicle of suffering shows the mythic pall they cast
To believe is true religion, but to see is truth at last
Oh no, too late to hold a trial, time doesn't wait for the watchmaker's dial

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 am

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:10 pm

"Bundle Up, It’s Global Warming"

The overall warming of the atmosphere is actually creating cold-weather extremes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/opini ... f=homepage

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:40 pm

What Carbon Cycle? College Students Lack Scientific Literacy, Study Finds

ScienceDaily (Jan. 7, 2011) — Most college students in the United States do not grasp the scientific basis of the carbon cycle -[HILITE]- an essential skill in understanding the causes and consequences of climate change, [/HILITE]according to research published in the January issue of BioScience.
more
What carbon cycle? College students lack scientific literacy, study finds

Why am I not surprised :banghead:

and now we begin to document the large scale energy transport changes.....

welcome to the Anthropocene....
Atlantic currents have seen 'drastic' changes: study
January 4, 2011 The cold northern Labrador Current may be having a declining influence on the Atlantic Ocean

A woman celebrates after participating in the annual Coney Island Polar Bear Club New Year's Day swim in New York.

Scientists have found evidence of a "drastic" shift since the 1970s in north Atlantic Ocean currents that usually influence weather in the northern hemisphere, Swiss researchers say.

Scientists have found evidence of a "drastic" shift since the 1970s in north Atlantic Ocean currents that usually influence weather in the northern hemisphere, Swiss researchers said on Tuesday.

The team of biochemists and oceanographers from Switzerland, Canada and the United States detected changes in deep sea Atlantic corals that indicated the declining influence of the cold northern Labrador Current.

They said in the US National Academy of Science journal PNAS that the change "since the early 1970s is largely unique in the context of the last approximately 1,800 years," and raised the prospect of a direct link with global warming.

The Labrador Current interacts with the warmer Gulfstream from the south.

They in turn have a complex interaction with a climate pattern, the North Atlantic Oscillation, which has a dominant impact on weather in Europe and North America.

Scientists have pointed to a disruption or shifts in the oscillation as an explanation for moist or harsh winters in Europe, or severe summer droughts such as in Russia, in recent years.

One of the five scientists, Carsten Schubert, of the Swiss Federal Institute of Acquatic Sciences and Technology (EAWAG), underlined that for nearly 2,000 years the sub polar Labrador current off northern Canada and Newfoundland was the dominant force.

However that pattern appeared to have only been repeated occasionally in recent decades.

"Now the southern current has taken over, it's really a drastic change," Schubert told AFP, pointing to the evidence of the shift towards warmer water in the northwest Atlantic.

The research was based on nitrogen isotope signatures in 700 year old coral reefs on the ocean floor, which feed on sinking organic particles.

While water pushed by the Gulfstream is salty and rich in nutrients, the colder Arctic waters carried by the Labrador current contain fewer nutrients.

Changes could be dated because of the natural growth rings seen in corals.

"The researchers suspect there is a direct connection between the changes in oceanic currents in the North Atlantic and global warming caused by human activities.
Atlantic currents have seen 'drastic' changes: study

Dump fossil carbon in the atmosphere....there are consequences...

This is very worrisome - this is a global shift in climate/weather regimes underway
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 am

ouch :read:
••••

Kiss the world we know goodbye...it will take a while, but it's gone. Nothing short of removal of carbon will change that reality and maybe not even that in the millenial term.
Climate change to continue to year 3000 in best case scenarios: research
January 9, 2011

New research indicates the impact of rising CO2 levels in the Earth's atmosphere will cause unstoppable effects to the climate for at least the next 1000 years, causing researchers to estimate a collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet by the year 3000, and an eventual rise in the global sea level of at least four metres.

The study, to be published in the Jan. 9 Advanced Online Publication of the journal Nature Geoscience, is the first full climate model simulation to make predictions out to 1000 years from now. It is based on best-case, 'zero-emissions' scenarios constructed by a team of researchers from the Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis (an Environment Canada research lab at the University of Victoria) and the University of Calgary.

"We created 'what if' scenarios," says Dr. Shawn Marshall, Canada Research Chair in Climate Change and University of Calgary geography professor.

"What if we completely stopped using fossil fuels and put no more CO2 in the atmosphere? How long would it then take to reverse current climate change trends and will things first become worse?" The research team explored zero-emissions scenarios beginning in 2010 and in 2100.

The Northern Hemisphere fares better than the south in the computer simulations, with patterns of climate change reversing within the 1000-year timeframe in places like Canada. At the same time parts of North Africa experience desertification as land dries out by up to 30 percent, and ocean warming of up to 5°C off of Antarctica is likely to trigger widespread collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet, a region the size of the Canadian prairies.

Researchers hypothesize that one reason for the variability between the North and South is the slow movement of ocean water from the North Atlantic into the South Atlantic. "The global ocean and parts of the Southern Hemisphere have much more inertia, such that change occurs more slowly," says Marshall. "The inertia in intermediate and deep ocean currents driving into the Southern Atlantic means those oceans are only now beginning to warm as a result of CO2 emissions from the last century.

The simulation showed that warming will continue rather than stop or reverse on the 1000-year time scale."
continues

http://forums.randi.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5

and how many hundreds of millions live near the coasts?
[hilite]It turns out that two-thirds of world's largest cities — cities with more than five million people — are at least partially in these low areas. [/hilite]That's important, because people are increasingly moving to cities.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=9162438

That is NOT a long time span......the oldest building in Venice was built in 639 - 1300 plus years ago.
The next thousand will see it meters underwater as a diving site.....

Along with most of Manhattan, London et al
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:41 am

For Many Species, No Escape as Temperature Rises

"Over the next 100 years, many scientists predict, 20 percent to 30 percent of species could be lost if the temperature rises 3.6 degrees to 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit. If the most extreme warming predictions are realized, the loss could be over 50 percent, according to the United Nations climate change panel."
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/scien ... f=homepage

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... DDLESecond

Last week a severe storm froze Dallas under a sheet of ice, just in time to disrupt the plans of the tens of thousands of (American) football fans descending on the city for the Super Bowl. On the other side of the globe, Cyclone Yasi slammed northeastern Australia, destroying homes and crops and displacing hundreds of thousands of people.

Some climate alarmists would have us believe that these storms are yet another baleful consequence of man-made CO2 emissions. In addition to the latest weather events, they also point to recent cyclones in Burma, last winter's fatal chills in Nepal and Bangladesh, December's blizzards in Britain, and every other drought, typhoon and unseasonable heat wave around the world.

(continued)

It's in the 'Wall Street Journalist' so it must be true....them economists have the best statiticians afterall? :dunno:
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

Magicziggy

Post by Magicziggy » Sun May 01, 2011 11:56 am

I've had a lot of trouble keeping up with the climate change science.

I'm grateful for vids like this for cutting through the crap for me.
First seen on Pharyngula today.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm selling all my beach front property now.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Sun May 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Tero wrote:I'm selling all my beach front property now.
Once the Amazon rainforests burn down things should start to get interesting.
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/ ... IQ20110704
Asia pollution blamed for halt in warming: study

Smoke belching from Asia's rapidly growing economies is largely responsible for a halt in global warming in the decade after 1998 because of sulphur's cooling effect, even though greenhouse gas emissions soared, a U.S. study said on Monday.

Uh oh, now pollution stops global warming.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Schneibster
Asker of inconvenient questions
About me: I hate cranks.

Post by Schneibster » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:34 am

No, aerosols and CO2 are different. Don't you know that?

It's kind of like confusing your ass with your mouth.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. -Daniel Patrick Moynihan
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson

Santa_Claus
Your Imaginary Friend
About me: Ho! Ho! Ho!

Post by Santa_Claus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:23 am

It's nice and hot again. The key words being nice and hot.

Seig Heil!
I am Leader of all The Atheists in the world - FACT.

Come look inside Santa's Hole :ninja:

You want to hear the truth about Santa Claus???.....you couldn't handle the truth about Santa Claus!!!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:59 am

Koch brothers shot their own foot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_E ... emperature
by funding some of that.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Schneibster
Asker of inconvenient questions
About me: I hate cranks.

Post by Schneibster » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:37 am

It's actually pretty funny.

They got some physicist at Berkeley all fired up; he believed their bullshit about "theresnoglobalwarming," so he went and started checking into the evidence in the record. What he found out was that the geophysicists who've been saying it's getting warmer were right. Big surprise, right? Idiot.

Unfortunately for them, he's an honest idiot, so he's publishing his results. The climate cranks are all trying to hide up their own assholes, or claiming he's been taken in by the Great Big Global Warming Conspiracy.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. -Daniel Patrick Moynihan
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson