How did you find Rationalia.com?

New? Introduce yourself here.

How did you find Rationalia.com?

I was a TAF member and jumped ship.
15%
I saw some reference to it on the Richard Dawkins forum and came for a look.
32%
I saw some reference to it on another forum and came for a look.
19%
I was sent a link by a friend.
19%
I found it via a Google search for something serious.
3%
I found it via a Google search for something stupid.
2%
None of the above.
10%

Total votes: 268

MikeTheInfidel
About me: I'm a deconverted fundamentalist Christian who now proudly calls himself an atheist and a skeptic. I try to promote the use of reason and evidence as the best tools we have for determining what is true and for solving real-world problems.

Re: How did you find Rationalia.com?

Post by MikeTheInfidel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:30 pm

After being unceremoniously shat upon by the RDF administrators (and subsequently by RD himself), I jumped ship like almost everybody else and found my way here, through the suggestions of various people.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
- Carl Sagan

ScottyMet

Post by ScottyMet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 am

Ronja wrote:Blair Scott, a Facebook friend, posted this link to Peter Harrison's blog http://realityismyreligion.wordpress.co ... open-soon/
Wow, that is messed up. :what:

I saw the site address in hacknslash's sig and location on rdf.net and came for a look. I saw the announcement about the forum change, and the rather confusingly vague thread in the support forum about it, and I read Richard's post about the whole deal, but after reading that blog... wow... I had no idea. Josh and Andrew seriously screwed up. I hope Richard can get the whole story from someone, just to set the record straight, but it certainly seems that the damage has been done. I'd only just signed up for the rdf forum. What a waste. :tdown:

Agrippina

Post by Agrippina » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 am

The trouble with this sort of situation is that the person in the middle i.e. RD will accept what's shown to him at face value. I don't think he has the time, and from the wording of his response, the inclination to look into the more serious allegations of what his acolyte really did. If he ever finds out he might shrug it off with the idea that it's over and done with but with the present attitude of tip-toeing around people who do the wrong thing, I doubt that he'll do anything more than tell him to never do it again. To fire him and make a huge show of displeasure is likely to reflect on him as poor judgment in choosing his employees and the people he acknowledges over people who are anonymous and who don't really mean anything to him. The only way to show dissatisfaction with the treatment of the members, and the numbers are large enough for it to make a difference is to stop buying his books and dvds. When he notices a drop in income, he might just realise what the cause of the drop was and look into it more carefully. The thing is that people don't do that kind of boycotting, they simply accept whatever treatment is handed out to them by the people they admire for whatever reason, and is one of the reasons that I don't admire people, but rather the products of their endeavours, that way if someone turns out to be weak, or unreliable, or simply a fraud, I haven't invested any emotion in the person and I can still enjoy or respect the work. Just my own personal philosophy. :td:

xrayzed

Post by xrayzed » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 am

I also found out about rationalia from Peter Harrison's blog.

Delighted to see so many other RDFers here.

xrayzed

Post by xrayzed » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 am

Agrippina wrote:The only way to show dissatisfaction with the treatment of the members, and the numbers are large enough for it to make a difference is to stop buying his books and dvds. When he notices a drop in income, he might just realise what the cause of the drop was and look into it more carefully.
The truth is that if every single member of the RDF forums bought his last book, and every single one refused to buy his next book, it would less of an impact than you might think.

The God Delusion sold over 1.5 million copies. Say there are 85,000 members at RDF; that's only 6% of 1.5 million. Even if sales did decline by 6% it wouldn't be possible to say it was due to a boycott of RDF members.

I bought TGD based on Dawkins skills in science writing. Annoying as the current situation is, it doesn't lessen the quality of his science writing, andI won't stop buying his science books simply because I think he's clueless about Internet communities.

As always, YMMV.

Beleth

Post by Beleth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:36 am

Hi -

I'm not from the RDF forum, but I'm here because of the RDF forum. I'm the head admin of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe forum (http://sguforums.com) and I'm mainly here to show support for the folks who have been unceremoniously evicted from their community.

It really sucks that the community changed in the fashion it did, and of course what happened after the complaints started is simply unconscionable.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spend here... but you seem like a very decent, fun group of people, so I'll certainly try to spend at least some time here!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:45 am

xrayzed wrote:

...I bought TGD based on Dawkins skills in science writing. Annoying as the current situation is, it doesn't lessen the quality of his science writing, andI won't stop buying his science books simply because I think he's clueless about Internet communities.
Well said, that is basically my position as well... :tup:
Beleth wrote:Hi -

I'm not from the RDF forum, but I'm here because of the RDF forum. I'm the head admin of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe forum (http://sguforums.com) and I'm mainly here to show support for the folks who have been unceremoniously evicted from their community.

It really sucks that the community changed in the fashion it did, and of course what happened after the complaints started is simply unconscionable.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spend here... but you seem like a very decent, fun group of people, so I'll certainly try to spend at least some time here!
Cheers and welcome!

(but we're not always decent... :shifty: )
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:48 am

(Uh...Jim... I think you forgot your trousers again) :whisper:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Agrippina

Post by Agrippina » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 am

xrayzed wrote:
Agrippina wrote:The only way to show dissatisfaction with the treatment of the members, and the numbers are large enough for it to make a difference is to stop buying his books and dvds. When he notices a drop in income, he might just realise what the cause of the drop was and look into it more carefully.
The truth is that if every single member of the RDF forums bought his last book, and every single one refused to buy his next book, it would less of an impact than you might think.

The God Delusion sold over 1.5 million copies. Say there are 85,000 members at RDF; that's only 6% of 1.5 million. Even if sales did decline by 6% it wouldn't be possible to say it was due to a boycott of RDF members.

I bought TGD based on Dawkins skills in science writing. Annoying as the current situation is, it doesn't lessen the quality of his science writing, andI won't stop buying his science books simply because I think he's clueless about Internet communities.

As always, YMMV.
Yes I suppose you have a point. :td:

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 am

I'd only just signed up for the rdf forum. What a waste.
no, what luck for you...

you didn't get to see 10,000+ posts and 3 years of climate news and posts in the science forum
go down the drain. :cry: ... ;)
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

ScottyMet

Post by ScottyMet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Good point, macdoc.

I was starting to enjoy posting on the forum, though, and I was looking forward to going back and reading a lot of the stuff in the Science forum. Being a meteorologist, I would have liked to read up on that Climate news you mention. I find that I don't read enough of that kind of stuff.

rab
About me: I follow politics and church/state issues.

Post by rab » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 am

Hi heathens.

I saw the forum referenced, with a link, at Sam Harris Reason Project board. I thought I'd check this place out. I'm a politics junkie and pay attention to matters dealing with church and state. 8-)
Support Church/State Separation
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 am

Hello and welcome! :cheers: We're more of a laid-back freethinkers' pub here, but you can find all sorts of conversations around...
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Bolero
About me: Free

Post by Bolero » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:45 am

hotshoe invited me over from RDF.

Insert girly "yay!" here.
"I wanna exit how I entered: Between two legs."
The Hilltop Hoods.

vsop44
About me: First there was IIDB , then RDF and at last Rationalia , I've come home baby !

Post by vsop44 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:05 am

I had noticed a decline in members attendance at RDF for the last couple of month , and was wondering where everybody was going ? Someone at RDF mentioned it .
After IIDB and then RDF , this is my third major atheist forum and :biggrin: where I want to be buried !
On est responsable de ce qu'on apprivoise ! Antoine de St Exupery