rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Conspiracy Theories

Post by rainbow » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:21 am

JimC wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:56 am
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:40 am
There is significant explanatory power in such failure to distinguish conspiracy theory from legitimate news.
Conspiracy theories are wacky and fun. Real news and scientific analysis are boring, and require intellectual effort to peruse... :tea:
You are in the wrong area of Science.
What could be more whacky that the measurements of Mass Transfer Coefficients?
What could be more fun than discovering the Truth behind the Nernst Equation?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am

Cunt wrote:
JimC wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:06 am
I wasn't meaning him to be venomous, simply that a whole bunch of neo-Nazis and the like (who are truly venomous) would love there to be no hate speech laws whatsoever...

There is always room for argument over particular cases that may lie at the boundary of what is acceptable or not, but there is also clear, straightforward areas where the content simply must be banned. No need to invoke weird conspiracy theories, most people would want the truly poisonous stuff gone from the internet...
I don't think hate speech laws help without a serious optimism bias, and I don't think the lack of them produces hate...
How so?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 am

Cunt wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:25 pm
No.

This is what free speech for all looks like:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:06 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am
Cunt wrote:
JimC wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:06 am
I wasn't meaning him to be venomous, simply that a whole bunch of neo-Nazis and the like (who are truly venomous) would love there to be no hate speech laws whatsoever...

There is always room for argument over particular cases that may lie at the boundary of what is acceptable or not, but there is also clear, straightforward areas where the content simply must be banned. No need to invoke weird conspiracy theories, most people would want the truly poisonous stuff gone from the internet...
I don't think hate speech laws help without a serious optimism bias, and I don't think the lack of them produces hate...
How so?
Why not show me where they helped?

Is there a country that has eradicated racism? How about dimmed it a lot?

How would you demonstrate such a thing?

Most folks can't tell the difference between a joke about race, and racism, so I'm not too worried about it.

My special perspective does make it tough to swallow racist stuff without being a bit reflective.
Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 am
No.

Free speech is literally Hitler, eh?

Quite the balanced, smart position on that conspiracy theory you have there, Hermit. I doubt I'll agree with you, but I understand now why some folks would hide from free speech. It sure looks scary when you describe it that way.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:23 pm

Cunt wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:25 pm
Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:06 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 am
No.

Free speech is literally Hitler, eh?

Quite the balanced, smart position on that conspiracy theory you have there, Hermit. I doubt I'll agree with you, but I understand now why some folks would hide from free speech. It sure looks scary when you describe it that way.
Don't pretend you don't understand what I mean, Daggles.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm

You mean you fear some of what might be said with people free to speak. I know. It's why I mostly don't bother talking with you about some subjects here. Protect your fearful areas, with my trusty list of subjects to avoid engaging you in.

You know, there are likely platforms where it would be free for you to work this out. Now all you need is someone willing to talk with you about it.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm
You mean you fear some of what might be said with people free to speak. I know. It's why I mostly don't bother talking with you about some subjects here. Protect your fearful areas, with my trusty list of subjects to avoid engaging you in.

You know, there are likely platforms where it would be free for you to work this out. Now all you need is someone willing to talk with you about it.
You're just trolling now.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:37 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm
Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm

You're just trolling now.
No, I'm pointing out that I disagree, and that you can go find someone else to talk with it about. I'm sure you have plenty of people who will enjoy discussing your 'free speech is literally Hitler' theory.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:37 pm
...your 'free speech is literally Hitler' theory.
That's not my theory, and you know it. You're just trolling.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:05 pm
Cunt wrote:
Free speech is fair to everyone. Free speech 'but' is fair to whoever the powerful deign worthy.

I know my preference. Ugly as it is, freedom of speech is less ugly than any alternatives I've heard pitched.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:05 pm
Cunt wrote:
Free speech is fair to everyone. Free speech 'but' is fair to whoever the powerful deign worthy.

I know my preference. Ugly as it is, freedom of speech is less ugly than any alternatives I've heard pitched.
Yes, I know your preference too. We've discussed free speech often enough. I am not exactly excited to do yet another lap with you right now. You'll just start JAQing off again, change the topic, try out your sarcasm and/or tell me that you don't trust me.
:yawn:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:32 pm

I don't trust you because you evade the same question so firmly each time.

No worries though, I appreciate you get insulting when you get uncomfortable, so I'll leave it.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:32 pm
I don't trust you because you evade the same question so firmly each time.
More trolling. :yawn:
Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:32 pm
No worries though, I appreciate you get insulting when you get uncomfortable, so I'll leave it.
Me? Insult you? You will always remain known to me as our member from Yellowknife when you get lost. It is meant to help you find your way back home. When you are particularly droll I use 'Daggles' as a term of endearment. I leave it to others to call you Cunt.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 pm

Cunt wrote:
I understand that you think hatespeech is clear, well defined and everything. What I'm pointing out is that the US legal system, and plenty of people who deserve respect, disagree.
Content which is categorized or legally identified as Hate Speech is only categorized as such by leaping over a very high hurdle (at least in Canada.) It is difficult to identify Hate Speech which is why that legal bar is set so high. Free speech types often misunderstand this. It’s like anti-abortionists who use late term abortions as a scare tactic when they’re not even a thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 pm
Cunt wrote:
I understand that you think hatespeech is clear, well defined and everything. What I'm pointing out is that the US legal system, and plenty of people who deserve respect, disagree.
Content which is categorized or legally identified as Hate Speech is only categorized as such by leaping over a very high hurdle (at least in Canada.)
I was talking about the US legal system, and it doesn't allow for the government to interfere with what Canada defines as 'hatespeech'.
It is difficult to identify Hate Speech which is why that legal bar is set so high. Free speech types often misunderstand this. It’s like anti-abortionists who use late term abortions as a scare tactic when they’re not even a thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What do you mean by 'not even a thing'? And who publicly opposes late-term abortion?

I don't remember any recent lefties talking about limits in that area, but maybe I missed it in the insane impeach rantings...
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: