Evil Amazon

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Evil Amazon

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:55 am

I just made an offer I could afford - and then it was gone with a week still to run. The seller must've been getting a lot of low offers.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:55 am
I just made an offer I could afford - and then it was gone with a week still to run. The seller must've been getting a lot of low offers.
Ebay auctions include a "Buy Now" option. The price asked for is usually just above the amount the vendor realistically expects the auction to finish up with. If some sucker clicks on the "Buy Now" button the auction never happens.

I quite like buying stuff from Ebay. Their refund policy is excellent. Of about 100 purchases around half a dozen were not up to scratch for one reason or another. When I complained Ebay/Paypal refunded the money immediately. I was not required to send the purchased items back to the supplier in any case. Not that I could have in one instance where the items never turned up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:55 am

Buy it now isn't on every item. The seller actually has to select it as an option. What likely happened was the seller sold it outside eBay.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:07 am

Hermit wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:30 am
Tero wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:50 am
Cds/DVDs is the only thing I can buy from Finnish sellers. The shipping is a few euros. Books are too expensive to ship. And the on line seller of Finnish books is in Sweden. They still sell a lot of paperbacks at news stands and shops in Finland, not on line.
https://www.betterworldbooks.com/ is an excellent source for OOP books, though it probably doesn't have a lot of Finnish titles. They are obviously mostly second hand, ex library etc. Prices are excellent and delivery inclusive.
I don't mind dragging the books back in a suit case. I went to visit my daughter's host family about 10 years back. She spent a half year in Tampere. The host dad Pertti gave me this. I've only read the Russian dutchy era.
920AF6B2-F7C3-4CE8-80BF-08101472D8BE.jpeg
Last edited by Tero on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:09 am

BB06FE1E-CB31-45E6-803E-4F2E86085653.jpeg
In that book, they put in some side bars and articles on culture as well as history.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:02 am
We have a Dutch eBay here called "Marktplaats". Its reputation has sunk to 0 because of defrauders. I would not go near it.
Dutch online selling is BEST online selling.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Paypal is Satan spelled backwards.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 pm

:hehe: Never say PayPal in front of a mirror at midnight!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

It's a Jungle in There

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:22 am

On the same day that Bezos announced that he was stepping to one side, news came out about a settlement Amazon will be paying. Not much money to Bezos, but exploiting the workforce for maximum profit is part of the company culture.

'Amazon will pay $61.7 million to Flex drivers after wage theft allegations'
Amazon will pay $61.7 million to Flex drivers to settle allegations of stolen tips, after an extensive investigation by the US Federal Trade Commission. The figure represents the total amount of allegedly withheld tips over the two and a half years that Amazon Flex’s controversial base pay system was in place. Amazon also agreed to new restrictions on how it communicates wage information to drivers.

“In total, Amazon stole nearly one-third of drivers’ tips to pad its own bottom line,” FTC Commissioner Rohit Chopra said in a statement, accusing Amazon of “expanding its business empire by cheating its workers.”

Reached for comment, Amazon rejected the idea that its pay structure had stolen wages, or was otherwise unclear. “While we disagree that the historical way we reported pay to drivers was unclear, we added additional clarity in 2019 and are pleased to put this matter behind us,” a company representative told The Verge.

I'd say it looks like the 'wage theft allegations' were borne out. Meanwhile ...

'Amazon Is Forcing Its Warehouse Workers Into Brutal 'Megacycle' Shifts'
On January 25, hundreds of workers at an Amazon warehouse in Chicago were presented with a baffling choice: sign up for a ten-and-a-half-hour graveyard shift, or lose your job.

Management informed workers that their warehouse, known as DCH1, would be shut down, and they were being offered a shift that runs from 1:20am to 11:50am, which is known as "megacycle," at a new Chicago warehouse.

DCH1 has been the target of protests, walkouts, and petitions organized by workers that have changed Amazon's nationwide policies for its warehouses. Its closure will force workers to choose between their lives outside of Amazon and keeping their jobs in the middle of a pandemic.

"[This decision] is cruel and the antithesis of family-friendly corporate responsibility," organized workers at the facility who go by DCH1 Amazonians United, told Motherboard.

"The new schedule is unworkable particularly for many mothers, those who care for elderly relatives and others who need to be home in the morning hours," they continued. "In this COVID-19 environment, kids are home and learning virtually and a parent needs to be with them."

The ultimatum presented to workers at DCH1 reflects a broader strategy in the U.S. for Amazon. The company has been quietly transitioning warehouse workers at delivery stations nationwide to the "megacycle" shift in recent months. The megacycle shift collapses shorter shifts into one 10-hour shift that begins around 1 am and ends around lunchtime. It's unclear where the term megacycle originated but it's used by both managers and workers to describe 10-hour graveyard shifts, workers tell Motherboard. An Amazon spokesperson told Motherboard that more than half of its last-mile delivery network has already transitioned to the new model.
That'll teach 'em to try to organize.

Cue the 'back in my day we hand-sharpened grindstones for twelve hours straight for thirty-five cents a day and were happy to have the work!' stories. :{D

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: It's a Jungle in There

Post by Hermit » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:12 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:22 am
Cue the 'back in my day we hand-sharpened grindstones for twelve hours straight for thirty-five cents a day and were happy to have the work!' stories. :{D
I'll take you up on that. :biggrin:

I was on an eleven hour shift for 13 years. Sort of. It was actually a minimum guarantee, but in the first 18 months I clocked up 57 to 63 hours a week. Then management demoted a subcontractor by making him a floater and gave me his run. He was generating too many customer complaints. From then on I hardly ever worked for more than 45 hours in any five day period. On some days I was back home to watch the Bugs Bunny Show, which was hosted by the delectable Sophie Lee at the time. The show started at half past three. I still got paid till half past six.
She first rose to fame in 1990 for hosting The Bugs Bunny Show on Australian TV. The show provoked controversy through her wardrobe, which was publicised as "middle-aged men... rush home from work in time to watch Sophie throw to Bugs Bunny cartoons".
Oh, and while the entire fleet of 28 run trucks was operated by subcontractors, every one of us was a member of the Transport Workers Union. Our remuneration was excellent. This did not prevent the company from achieving profit rates other trucking companies did not even dare dream of.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: It's a Jungle in There

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm

An Amazon warehouse in Alabama is holding a vote on unionizing. If the vote succeeds, it will be the first Amazon warehouse in the US to unionize.

'Amazon’s Creepy Fight Against Unionization Has Reached This Warehouse’s Bathrooms'
Nearly 6,000 workers at the Bessemer warehouse began a vote this week to determine whether they will become the first Amazon employees in the country to form a union.

But employees have described an ugly battle unfolding inside the warehouse, with Amazon using unethical, and in some cases legally dubious, tactics to get employees to vote “no.”

Amazon has long had a reputation for waging vicious anti-union campaigns and none of the company’s 100-plus warehouses in the U.S. has successfully unionized.

If the majority vote “yes,” it has the potential to be the match to set off the kindling of Amazon employees across the country, many of whom are doing essential work under challenging conditions.

“We respect our employees’ right to join, form or not to join a labor union or other lawful organization of their own selection, without fear of retaliation, intimidation or harassment,” Amazon told The Daily Beast in a statement. The company said it offers “industry-leading” pay starting at $15/hr and places “enormous value” on having daily conversations with workers.

But Bessemer employees said there is little respect for employees’ rights—and in fact Amazon is actively attempting to influence the union vote.

Joseph Jones, a 35-year-old father who works in the fulfillment area on the weekends, said he felt the company was engaging in “bad faith arguments” to dissuade people from joining the union.

Jones shared photos with The Daily Beast of anti-union signs posted throughout the warehouse. “Unions can’t. We can!” one sign said. “Why pay for what you get for free?” read another sign.

Another sign simply told workers, “Vote no!”

Workers say they are obligated to go to mandatory weekly meetings where they are subject to anti-union PowerPoint presentations that are rampant with misinformation. (The company didn’t respond to specific questions about their anti-union campaign.)

Jones said he doesn’t think Amazon is inherently evil, but it’s not lost on him that the company has never bothered to hold mandatory weekly meetings on safety. “We don’t have mandatory meetings to go over, ‘Hey, how’s your mental health during this pandemic?’” he said. “But you better believe we’re gonna talk about how bad and how crazy the union is at these weekly meetings we have to go to.”

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 pm

Amazon has quite the advantage over other stores with the shipping. They employ people with trucks in every city over a certain population. I got the jacket from Lands End. The exact same brand name and identical color at Amazon had the same price. But free shipping. I paid 9 dollars.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Where's all the great competition promised by capitalism anyway? I have to buy everything from like 3 people/families, and none of them have even been to my city except to board another flight...

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:24 pm

The competition has been closed by Amazon.

I've wondered, since Heinlein originally posed the question in a book, how would a corporation fight a war with a country.

Not claiming these are the Amazon lockdowns, only that they really do benefit Amazon pretty consistently. Law enforcement has gone to many small businesses to fine or to close them, don't know how many times Amazon has been taken to task the same way.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:00 pm

Which Heinlein book?