The state of the UK

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The state of the UK

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:30 am

. Image
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:37 am

Greed again. Fuck the environment in Johnson's chumocracy.

Experts pile pressure on Boris Johnson over 'shocking' new coalmine
‘Bizarre’ decision to go ahead with Cumbrian mine criticised as the UK prepares to host vital climate summit

Pressure is growing on the government over its support for a new coalmine in Cumbria, as the UK prepares to host the most important UN climate summit since the Paris agreement was signed in 2015.

Developing country experts, scientists, green campaigners and government advisers are increasingly concerned about the seeming contradiction of ministers backing the new mine – the UK’s first new deep coalmine in three decades, which will produce coking coal, mostly for export, until 2049 – while gathering support from world leaders for a fresh deal on the climate crisis.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:03 pm

Heartbreak hotel.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:17 pm

Well goodbye NHS if Johnson has his way.

Boris Johnson planning NHS England overhaul, leaked paper shows
Plans would put end to David Cameron policies seen as step towards privatisation of the NHS

Boris Johnson is planning a radical overhaul of NHS England, as he reverses controversial privatisation policies introduced by David Cameron, a leaked document suggests.

According to the draft white paper, the government is planning to reduce the role of the private sector in NHS England and give the health secretary greater control.

NHS commissioners would not be required to put contracts out to tender, which can draw competition from competing health groups. Instead, a new policy would leave the NHS and local authorities to run services and encourage them to work together more effectively.

The health secretary would also take more direct control over NHS England, with the plans putting emphasis on reducing bureaucracy and improving integration between the different departments of the NHS.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:51 pm

The state of power in the UK.

The Queen has more power over British law than we ever thought
Now we know that the mysterious ‘Queen’s consent’ is more than just a procedural formality, it must be scrapped

he Guardian’s investigation revealing new detail on the impact of “Queen’s consent” in our legal system marks a significant advance in our understanding of an archaic and mysterious part of the UK constitution. It should prompt grave concerns about the practice’s continued existence.

Queen’s consent is a procedural rule, internal to the workings of parliament and of unclear origins, which requires the monarch’s consent to be obtained for certain types of legislation – before they can be presented for final approval by either house of parliament. It must not be confused with the equally archaic process of royal assent which, in contrast, is well understood, applies to legislation already approved by both houses of parliament, and which is widely accepted as being purely symbolic in almost all realistic circumstances.

The anti-democratic potential of the consent process is obvious: it gives the Queen a possible veto, to be exercised in secret, over proposed laws. But there has been no way to know whether it was realising that potential or not, and so no way to know how damaging the process might be, because its workings have previously remained hidden from public view.

In particular, two key aspects have generally been unavailable in the public domain: the range of legislation that is subject to the process as it goes through parliament; and the significance of the process, whether it is a merely symbolic or procedural step, or involves genuine reflection and negotiation on the content of proposed laws. This week’s investigation uncovers significant examples of both.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Off with his head! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:45 am

who's that moron? why scrap Royal consent rather than just scrappin royalty?
I mean, if the Royal Person is to be deprived of all royal prerogatives, what's the purpose of even sticking to a monarchic regime?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 am

Tradition.

In the UK at the moment republicanism is about as popular as a shit sandwich. The Queen could walk out onto Pall Mall and shoot a tourist and not lose support.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:13 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 am
Tradition.

In the UK at the moment republicanism is about as popular as a shit sandwich. The Queen could walk out onto Pall Mall and shoot a tourist and not lose support.

The queen is getting shorter all the time. I nearly didn't recognise her without the handbag.
Who's the fella?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:16 am

The Groom of the Queen's Close Stool.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:31 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tradition.

Well, I sure hope she lasts forever, because the next shit sandwich can be known by its jug ears.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tradition.

Good god, that's gaudy. Has he got union jack undies as well?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:39 pm

Off with his head if he hasn't.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:44 pm

Matt Hancock's ex-neighbour under investigation by UK's medicine agency

The former publican and neighbour of Matt Hancock who secured lucrative work producing millions of vials for NHS Covid tests is under investigation by the UK’s medicine agency, the Guardian can reveal.

Alex Bourne, who used to run the Cock Inn near the health secretary’s old constituency home in Thurlow, won about £30m of work producing the test tubes despite having no prior experience in the medical devices industry.

Prior to the pandemic, his company, Hinpack, made plastic cups and takeaway boxes for the catering industry. Now it supplies tens of millions of vials from its production site on an industrial potato farm complex in Cambridgeshire.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) confirmed it has launched an investigation into Bourne’s company. “We take all reports of non-compliance very seriously,” said Graeme Tunbridge, director of devices at the MHRA. “We are currently investigating allegations about Hinpack and will take appropriate action as necessary. Patient safety is our top priority.”

The Guardian understands the MHRA investigation was launched after officers from the local South Cambridgeshire council passed on some concerns reported to them about hygiene and safety standards around the end of January. Through his lawyers, Bourne said he was unaware of any MHRA investigation and had not been contacted by the regulator.

Bourne made headlines last year after the Guardian revealed that he had offered his services to respond to the pandemic via a personal WhatsApp message sent to Hancock, whom he had known for several years.

Bourne and his wife previously ran the village pub in Thurlow, a few hundred yards from Hancock’s former constituency home. The Conservative cabinet minister was a supporter of the pub, attending its reopening after refurbishment in 2016 and nominating it for an award in 2017.

Contacted back in November, Bourne’s lawyers initially denied that their client had any discussions with Hancock in relation to Covid-19 supplies. Bourne later backtracked, telling the Guardian he had in fact exchanged text and email messages with Hancock over several months...
Matt Hancock acted unlawfully by failing to publish Covid contracts

The health secretary, Matt Hancock, acted unlawfully by failing to publish multibillion-pound Covid-19 government contracts within the 30-day period required by law, a high court judge has ruled.

The judge, Mr Justice Chamberlain, ruled the failure to do so breached the “vital public function” of transparency over how “vast quantities” of taxpayers’ money was spent.

The judgment is a victory for the Good Law Project (GLP), a crowdfunded not-for-profit organisation that is making a series of legal challenges related to the government’s procurement of protective personal equipment (PPE) and other services during the pandemic.

Research by the procurement consultancy Tussell had found Hancock’s Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) had spent about £15bn buying PPE from different companies by the beginning of October, but that only £2.68bn worth of contracts had been published.

Government regulations require all contracts with a value of more than £10,000 to be published, and to be sent for publication within 30 days of being awarded.

The GLP highlighted three PPE contracts to illustrate their case: a £252m contract for the supply of face masks with a finance company, Ayanda Capital; a £108m contract with Clandeboye Agencies, which had previously supplied only confectionery products, and PPE contracts worth £345m with a company trading as Pestfix.

None of the contracts was published within the required 30-day period. Tussell found that the average time for publication of Covid-19 related contracts was 47 days, which meant the government’s own 30-day deadline was likely to have been breached “in a substantial number of cases”, Chamberlain said.

Chamberlain ruled: “The secretary of state’s evidence provides a cogent explanation of his historic failure to comply … but this explanation amounts to an excuse, not a justification. It follows that, in my judgment, the secretary of state acted unlawfully by failing to comply with the transparency policy.”

The obligation to publish contracts within 30 days “serve a vital public function and that function was no less important during a pandemic”, he said. “The secretary of state spent vast quantities of public money on pandemic-related procurements during 2020. The public were entitled to see who this money was going to, what it was being spent on and how the relevant contracts were awarded.” ...

Frank Zappa