US Election 2020

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: US Election 2020

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:37 am

I like how they thought for two minutes that Ted Cruz was a traitor because they don't know what the word "objection" means.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 am

:hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:44 pm

Land of the free.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 am

Trump's finally got his military parade. Just not the one he hoped for.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Cities still collecting Trump costs. Minneapolis settled with the arena owner:

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey expects to announce a negotiated deal Thursday to recoup $100,000 from Target Center operator ASM Global for the cost of hosting President Donald Trump's October 2019 rally at the city-owned arena.

https://m.startribune.com/minneapolis-w ... 600013153/
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:52 pm

This is how appallingly and disgustingly anti-democratic the Senate is. The Dems have to get around a quarter more votes JUST TO TIE.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Of course, you'll get the argument from Republicans that it's all about stopping those horrid city people picking on all the honest, hard-working country folk...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:11 pm

... a narrative which belies the fact that the electoral college was developed as a fudge to stop the Black vote having too much representational power.

How much is too much?

Just enough to make a difference.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:22 pm

What black vote?

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:36 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:11 pm
... a narrative which belies the fact that the electoral college was developed as a fudge to stop the Black vote having too much representational power.

How much is too much?

Just enough to make a difference.
There was no black vote when the Constitution was written. The three-fifths rule gave slave states more representatives in the House and outsized power in determining the POTUS (remember that the number of electors is determined by the number of representatives).

Ironically, although the Senate was not originally designed to be racist like the EC and the House, it is now actually more racist because of the way minorities are spread out. In Senate races, the average black vote is worth .7 of the average white vote.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:19 am

Sorry, I should have said fear about black representation.

Frank Zappa

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:51 am

So Trump tried to have the Justice Department overturn the election.

In case anyone's wondering: yes, this is insane; yes, this is unprecedented; and no, this isn't something the Demonrats do every second Tuesday of every month.

Trump and Justice Dept. Lawyer Said to Have Plotted to Oust Acting Attorney General

Trying to find another avenue to push his baseless election claims, Donald Trump considered installing a loyalist.

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department’s top leaders listened in stunned silence this month: One of their peers, they were told, had devised a plan with President Donald J. Trump to oust Jeffrey A. Rosen as acting attorney general and wield the department’s power to force Georgia state lawmakers to overturn its presidential election results.

The unassuming lawyer who worked on the plan, Jeffrey Clark, had been devising ways to cast doubt on the election results and to bolster Mr. Trump’s continuing legal battles and the pressure on Georgia politicians. Because Mr. Rosen had refused the president’s entreaties to carry out those plans, Mr. Trump was about to decide whether to fire Mr. Rosen and replace him with Mr. Clark.

The department officials, convened on a conference call, then asked each other: What will you do if Mr. Rosen is dismissed?

The answer was unanimous. They would resign.

Their informal pact ultimately helped persuade Mr. Trump to keep Mr. Rosen in place, calculating that a furor over mass resignations at the top of the Justice Department would eclipse any attention on his baseless accusations of voter fraud. Mr. Trump’s decision came only after Mr. Rosen and Mr. Clark made their competing cases to him in a bizarre White House meeting that two officials compared with an episode of Mr. Trump’s reality show “The Apprentice,” albeit one that could prompt a constitutional crisis.

The previously unknown chapter was the culmination of the president’s long-running effort to batter the Justice Department into advancing his personal agenda. He also pressed Mr. Rosen to appoint special counsels, including one who would look into Dominion Voting Systems, a maker of election equipment that Mr. Trump’s allies had falsely said was working with Venezuela to flip votes from Mr. Trump to Joseph R. Biden Jr.
full article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/us/p ... ction.html

alternate:
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... s-1118303/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand ... 9ec7b060a5

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:18 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:19 am
Sorry, I should have said fear about black representation.
There wasn't any black representation. Black people couldn't vote. Only white, land owning men could vote.

The three-fifths rule meant that slaves were counted as 3/5ths of a person for census purposes, despite not having the right to vote. This gave slave states inflated numbers of representatives and electors.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 pm

OK. My mistake. But still racism, eh?

On another point. I found out this week that prisoners are counted as residents of a county for the purposes of elections even though they don't get a vote.

Frank Zappa