The Coronavirus Thread

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 pm

but immediately jumped to a racist theory.
Actually, I said that the extremely unlikely possibility of a deliberate (as opposed to accidental) release from a Chinese lab was only put forward by racists and those with an axe to grind with "Red Chinese". That's not jumping to a racist theory to explain the origin of the virus, it's dismissing such a theory as rubbish.

And no, I'm not interested on what some random internet "bat biologist" source proclaims. Over the past 10 months, I've read every article on the virus and the pandemic in the NewScientist magazine, authored by professional biologists and medical people, and I've assessed the evidence via a reasonably substantial base of personal scientific knowledge.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:05 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 pm
Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 pm

but immediately jumped to a racist theory.
Actually, I said that the extremely unlikely possibility of a deliberate (as opposed to accidental) release from a Chinese lab was only put forward by racists and those with an axe to grind with "Red Chinese". That's not jumping to a racist theory to explain the origin of the virus, it's dismissing such a theory as rubbish.

And no, I'm not interested on what some random internet "bat biologist" source proclaims. Over the past 10 months, I've read every article on the virus and the pandemic in the NewScientist magazine, authored by professional biologists and medical people, and I've assessed the evidence via a reasonably substantial base of personal scientific knowledge.
Can you count on me being a poor communicator for just a moment? I do mind a bit, having people allege racism, but I don't let it put blinders on me. I know my life, know how much such accusations mean to people of my race, and the race of my loved ones.

---

He was talking about how difficult it was to have the necessary conversations around it, with the media screaming 'racist' at every suspected flaw.

From one of the referenced articles...
Proposing that something unfortunate happened during a scientific experiment in Wuhan — where COVID-19 was first diagnosed and where there are three high-security virology labs, one of which held in its freezers the most comprehensive inventory of sampled bat viruses in the world — isn’t a conspiracy theory. It’s just a theory. It merits attention, I believe, alongside other reasoned attempts to explain the source of our current catastrophe.
But yeah, ignore it because Cunt.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 pm

I did say that an accidental release from a Wuhan lab is not impossible, although the consensus from epidemiologists is that it is unlikely, and that the wet market source is the most likely...
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:12 pm

JimC, what would happen if everyone talking about the lab possibility, was labeled 'racist crackpot'?

One effect would be, that decent people wouldn't waste their time, and only 'lesser minds' would be open to the possibility.

Maybe this 'Chan' is just a racist, too...probably got their name from 8chan.
Hold that human fallibility in your mind. And then consider the cautious words of Alina Chan, a scientist who works at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. “There is a reasonable chance that what we are dealing with is the result of a lab accident,” Chan told me in July of last year. There was also, she added, a reasonable chance that the disease had evolved naturally — both were scientific possibilities. “I don’t know if we will ever find a smoking gun, especially if it was a lab accident. The stakes are so high now. It would be terrifying to be blamed for millions of cases of COVID-19 and possibly up to a million deaths by year end, if the pandemic continues to grow out of control. The Chinese government has also restricted their own scholars and scientists from looking into the origins of SARS-CoV-2. At this rate, the origin of SARS-CoV-2 may just be buried by the passage of time.”
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 pm

Further along, an excellent point about anyone who might prefer not to appear to support Turnip (is turnip orange?)
; think of Donald Turnip himself. They stood at their microphones saying, in a winking, I-know-something-you-don’t-know sort of way, that this disease escaped from a Chinese laboratory. Whatever they were saying must be wrong. It became impermissible, almost taboo, to admit that, of course, SARS-2 could have come from a lab accident. “The administration’s claim that the virus spread from a Wuhan lab has made the notion politically toxic, even among scientists who say it could have happened,” wrote science journalist Mara Hvistendahl in the Intercept.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:12 pm
JimC, what would happen if everyone talking about the lab possibility, was labeled 'racist crackpot'?

One effect would be, that decent people wouldn't waste their time, and only 'lesser minds' would be open to the possibility.

Maybe this 'Chan' is just a racist, too...probably got their name from 8chan.
Hold that human fallibility in your mind. And then consider the cautious words of Alina Chan, a scientist who works at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. “There is a reasonable chance that what we are dealing with is the result of a lab accident,” Chan told me in July of last year. There was also, she added, a reasonable chance that the disease had evolved naturally — both were scientific possibilities. “I don’t know if we will ever find a smoking gun, especially if it was a lab accident. The stakes are so high now. It would be terrifying to be blamed for millions of cases of COVID-19 and possibly up to a million deaths by year end, if the pandemic continues to grow out of control. The Chinese government has also restricted their own scholars and scientists from looking into the origins of SARS-CoV-2. At this rate, the origin of SARS-CoV-2 may just be buried by the passage of time.”
I would only think racism was involved in those who were pushing the conspiracy theory of a deliberate release, which is though to be vanishingly unlikely by professionals in this field. Accepting the possibility of an accidental release (and perhaps subsequent cover-up) does not have racist overtones (but Trump's continuing use of the term "the Chinese virus" certainly does)
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 pm

Of fucking course it was 'leaked' from Wuhan, the hoi polloi were getting a bit uppity. Not any more.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 pm

I think it's very telling that so many are so eager to get so sidetracked in order to avoid the really pressing issues - like NineBerry's balls. I mean, why are the corrupt and failing #FAK£N€W$ Media refusing to even discuss NineBerry's balls? Don't you find that odd, that even though a world class geologists has studied the matter very closely indeed still nobody wants to talk about NineBerry's balls?

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 pm

and a bit more...
If one of the first thoughts that goes through the head of a lab director at the Wuhan Institute of Virology is that the new coronavirus could have come from her lab, then we are obliged to entertain the scientific possibility that it could indeed have come from her lab. Right then, there should have been a comprehensive, pockets-inside-out, fully public investigation of the Virology Institute, along with the other important virus labs in Wuhan, including the one close by the seafood market, headquarters of the Wuhan CDC. There should have been interviews with scientists, interviews with biosafety teams, close parsings of laboratory notebooks, freezer and plumbing and decontamination systems checks — everything. It didn’t happen. The Wuhan Institute of Virology closed down its databases of viral genomes, and the Chinese Ministry of Education sent out a directive: “Any paper that traces the origin of the virus must be strictly and tightly managed.”
Sure be awkward if it turned outh that Shi was legit. That kind of responsibility could cost the CCP a fair amount of money.

Of course, avoiding financial responsibility for a giant mistake is a silly reason to think science isn't scienceing right.

BP, the most recent paper published by Dr. Gad Saad addresses it clearly, and to everyone's satisfaction.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Balls!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:13 pm

There have been retrospectively identified cases from weeks earlier than December, even outside China, so while Wuhan is a likely candidate for being the source, it becomes more and more probable the virus might have emerged somewhere else and Wuhan was just the first major metropolitan area hit.
Last edited by NineBerry on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 pm

I knew Shi was right. It looks sketchy as fuck.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:18 pm

Police in England say they won't enforce masks in supermarkets
Senior officers reject Matt Hancock’s support for greater role in overseeing Covid rules

The police have set themselves up for a conflict with ministers by insisting that they will not enforce mask-wearing in supermarkets amid growing calls for tougher Covid measures including a crackdown on the number of people in workplaces.

Sources said the government was actively considering telling people to wear masks outdoors as the NHS faces its “most dangerous” point. A further 4,193 people were reported to have gone to hospital with coronavirus on Monday, bringing the current total to 32,294.

A ban on people in England walking or exercising with anyone from outside their household is also on the table, with sources saying it was “under active consideration”.

Ministers have been urged by trade unions to focus on underlining the need for home working as figures show that traffic on the tube in London – often used by commuters – is more than three times higher than in the first lockdown.

The government is keen to intensify efforts to keep contact limited in supermarkets amid concern about infection rates linked to stores. Stores have said they will require help from police if ministers want to increase enforcement of rules such as mask-wearing and social distancing.

On Monday, Morrisons announced that shoppers who refuse to wear a mask without a medical exemption will be told to leave stores. Sainsbury’s followed suit, saying it would be posting trained security guards at shop entrances, rather than shop staff, to challenge any customers not wearing a mask or shopping in groups. The supermarket said it had also significantly reduced the number of customers allowed into stores at any one time.

It is understood that Morrisons is prepared to call in police as a last resort if customers do not comply with requests to wear a mask.

At Monday’s Downing Street briefing, the health secretary, Matt Hancock, cranked up pressure on law enforcement and supermarkets, saying stronger action was needed, and applauded Morrisons. “That’s the right approach, and I want to see all parts of society playing their part in this,” he said.

“Stronger enforcement is necessary, and I’m delighted that the police are stepping up their enforcement. But it isn’t just about the government and the rules we set, or the police and the work that they do. It’s about how everybody behaves.”

But multiple law enforcement sources said it would be impossible for officers to police supermarkets and insisted forces needed greater clarity about how the rules should be imposed. On Monday Derbyshire police said it had withdrawn controversial £200 fines handed to two women who drove five miles from their home to meet for a walk. Apologising, the force said it had been “working hard to understand the ever-changing guidance and legislation”.

Asked about enforcing rules in supermarkets, one senior police leader said “we won’t be doing that”, adding: “Do people really want the police telling you: ‘that’s not above your nose’? There are no extra officers. Everything else [crime] is still happening. Where is the greater risk: do you put two people in a supermarket not wearing masks before a woman suffering domestic violence?

“You need clearer, consistent messaging, not new rules and more enforcement.”

A chief constable said: “I do not think we need additional powers; I need additional clarity about the exceptions, about how far people can travel.”
Nevermind. Chaos is the tories friend..
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:37 pm

It's been suggested that closing all but one or two shopping venues, forces people who would shop apart, to shop together.

If the 'clean-protocol' is great, that's probably good.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 pm

That is old hat here.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".