Republicans: continued

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:56 pm
The current administration were fairly and democratically elected, therefore the current administration picking it's successor is simply an example of democracy in action.
Democracy is like pregnancy. You cant be half pregnant but I presume you are being sarcastic.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Brian?

Sarcastic?

Say it ain't so! :shock:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:34 pm

:hehe:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:29 am

72% of Republicans See Trump As Model for Party’s Future
Monday, December 28, 2020

When the Republican Party reorganizes itself next year, GOP voters strongly believe President Trump should remain the role model, but most think the party should look for a new face to be its next presidential candidate.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 72% of Likely Republican Voters think their party should be more like Trump than like the average GOP member of Congress. Twenty-four percent (24%) see the average Republican in Congress as a better model. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... y_s_future
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:43 am

US Senator Marco Rubio is working on that MAGA Florida Man cred:

'Rubio criticizes Fauci for raising herd immunity estimate to 90 percent'
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) is criticizing the government's top infectious diseases expert, Anthony Fauci, for raising his estimate for the U.S. to reach herd immunity on the coronavirus to up to 90 percent of the population being vaccinated.

The Florida Republican said Fauci has been “distorting” herd immunity estimates after the expert told The New York Times in an interview published last week that he has incrementally been increasing his projected percentage.

"Dr. Fauci lied about masks in March," Rubio tweeted Sunday. "Dr. Fauci has been distorting the level of vaccination needed for herd immunity. It isn't just him."

"Many in elite bubbles believe the American public doesn't know 'what's good for them' so they need to be tricked into 'doing the right thing,'" he added.
Rubio and science don't see eye to eye. There is no excuse for his scurrilous attack on somebody who's spent their entire life studying infectious diseases. Work on this virus has revealed a different aspect to how viruses are transmitted. Previously it was understood that there are certain viruses that are capable of being transmitted via aerosol particles, like measles, and others that are transmitted almost exclusively by surface contact, like colds and most influenzas. Now it is apparent that there is more potential for aerosol transmission than had been thought before.

The advice has changed for a number of reasons, but those changes have been driven by epidemiological science. On masks, even when one of the primary reasons (in the US) was ensuring as much as possible that the limited supply of masks went to health care workers and others at immediate risk, the advice was intended to enhance the overall survival of the population, and was based on the understanding at that time of the virus's potential for transmission.

Rubio is braying his militant ignorance. More, he's demonstrating his willingness to actively harm his constituents. The go-getter intern who made good is essentially encouraging behavior that is known to increase transmission of the virus. Pledging allegiance to MAGA. Some might say he's doing Florida proud.
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:49 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:00 pm
Democracy is like pregnancy. You cant be half pregnant...
Unlike pregnancy, there are degrees of democracy. For example, a country in which women are allowed to vote is more democratic than a country in which they are not. A country where only home owners are are allowed to vote is less democratic than a country in which you don't need to own a home in order to vote. There are no degrees of pregnancy, but there are degrees of democracy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:04 am

"Science was wrong once, so it's now always wrong."

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:05 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:43 am
...Rubio is braying his militant ignorance...
Doing so will appeal directly to the 40% or so of Americans who believe that their own ignorance is just as important as someone else's hard-earned competency and knowledge...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:44 am

The only difference between my opinion and the opinion of a scientist is that I don't have my opinions for money
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:54 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:49 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Unlike pregnancy, there are degrees of democracy. For example, a country in which women are allowed to vote is more democratic than a country in which they are not. A country where only home owners are are allowed to vote is less democratic than a country in which you don't need to own a home in order to vote. There are no degrees of pregnancy, but there are degrees of democracy.
You will never understand democracy thinking that way. They have nothing to do with democracy but are voting systems. You cant be less democratic as you cant be less pregnant. An interpretation of democracy is just a voting system. There is only one form of democracy the rest are imitations. We and a few other countries are pure democracies. There are systems that approach democracy but at least it is an attempt. Strangely the countries with the most undemocratic systems are those that keep on jabbering about the most.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:54 am
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
You will never understand democracy thinking that way. They have nothing to do with democracy but are voting systems. You cant be less democratic as you cant be less pregnant. An interpretation of democracy is just a voting system. There is only one form of democracy the rest are imitations. We and a few other countries are pure democracies. There are systems that approach democracy but at least it is an attempt. Strangely the countries with the most undemocratic systems are those that keep on jabbering about the most.
:wacky:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Isn't it called the Kingdom of the Netherlands? I guess democracy has nothing to do with constitutional monarchy either. :coffee:

Great looking figureheads though.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:16 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
I know you just dont understand the simplest of democratic principles. It is an Anglo-Saxon problem but as a German surely you have seen through the crap they call "democracy" or maybe you have lost your roots. I did (TF).

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Mitch blocked vote for 2000
578B8F5F-5FA3-4833-BB1C-03DE04DD9AC5.png
Republicans turned back into Republicans, now that spending no longer gift to corporations.

Tero
Just saying