The state of the UK

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The state of the UK

Post by JimC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:26 pm
...But still, the question about who are we threatened by and need to defend ourselves against is a good one...
The EU, clearly. German Panzers crossing the channel on French ships, with a flotilla of Dutch rowboats to assist...

"I do not say they cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea"...

(several internets awarded to those who can identify the quote...)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Just give the points to Hermit.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Of course we can't come by sea... why do you think we conned them in letting us built the chunnel?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 pm
Why?

For no particular reason I remember having spent a great deal of time surfing along the south coast of New south Wales, particularly the stretch between Jervis Bay (named after some admiral of the British Royal Navy) and Bawley Point. On one occasion, when I was supposed to be taking care of our red heeler while the rest of the family went elsewhere, I did one of those trips and took the dog along. There's a left hand break on the northern tip of Jervis Bay known to surfers as Green Island, even though it is not an island. The best way to get to it is to paddle out to it via the bay itself. On my way there I heard some yapping. Turning around, I discovered that the dog was following me. I dragged him on to my kneeboard and pushed it into the whitewash of a wave as it petered out towards the shore of the bay. Watching the snout of the dog above the water as the dog barked happily on his way back to land, had me laughing.

There is also a Cape Jervis (also named after the admiral mentioned above) on the tip of the Fleurieu Peninsula south of Adelaide. I have not visited it. Kangaroo Island blocks most swells from getting there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 am

JimC wrote: "I do not say they cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea"...
Turn back the boats!

"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 am
JimC wrote: "I do not say they cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea"...
Turn back the boats!
:lol:

Almost every Australian Prime Minister since federation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:46 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 pm
Why?

For no particular reason I remember having spent a great deal of time surfing along the south coast of New south Wales, particularly the stretch between Jervis Bay (named after some admiral of the British Royal Navy) and Bawley Point. On one occasion, when I was supposed to be taking care of our red heeler while the rest of the family went elsewhere, I did one of those trips and took the dog along. There's a left hand break on the northern tip of Jervis Bay known to surfers as Green Island, even though it is not an island. The best way to get to it is to paddle out to it via the bay itself. On my way there I heard some yapping. Turning around, I discovered that the dog was following me. I dragged him on to my kneeboard and pushed it into the whitewash of a wave as it petered out towards the shore of the bay. Watching the snout of the dog above the water as the dog barked happily on his way back to land, had me laughing.

There is also a Cape Jervis (also named after the admiral mentioned above) on the tip of the Fleurieu Peninsula south of Adelaide. I have not visited it. Kangaroo Island blocks most swells from getting there.
You are indeed a clever old bugger, Hermit... :tup:

It was a quote from John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent, when he was First Lord of the Admiralty, at a time when Napoleon's armies were poised along the coast of France, accumulating barges, and waiting for the Royal Navy to slip up. Which of course it did not...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 am

Thank God, or we'd all be speaking Frog.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:44 am

Hermit wrote:

As a complete aside, that is where the ferry to Kangaroo Island leaves from. We've done the trip twice. Hermit (or anyone else with the chance), take a trip to Kangaroo Island - it's a beautiful place...
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:54 am

If Napoleon had taken the UK we'd be speaking German, they'd have been in Wales two days after Paris.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:18 am

Scheisse!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:46 am
It was a quote from John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent, when he was First Lord of the Admiralty...
Not quite accurate. Jervis was an Admiral in command of the Channel Fleet at the time he wrote that letter, addressed to the then appointed First Lord of the Admiralty, Earl Spencer. He was appointed First Lord of the Admiralty a short time later, where he made a lot of waves, so to speak.

Jervis created a storm by pursuing corruption within the navy, both real and imagined. Among other things this eventually led to the impeachment (from which he was acquitted) of a previous treasurer of the Admiralty and successor to Jervis, Lord Melville. The other disturbance was Jervis's effort to have promotions determined by competence rather than social standing. His activities set in train all manner of overdue reforms.

When the Whig government of Henry Addington was replaced by yet another Tory term under William Pitt (the Younger) Jervis felt compelled to resign. He was reinstated as Admiral of the Fleet after another change of government (Lord Grenville, Whigs) in 1806, but retired on grounds of health the following year at the age of 71 and died in 1823, aged 88.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:45 am

I bow to your superior knowledge. Mine comes from reading Hornblower and Jack Aubrey novels... :tea:
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:57 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:44 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm
As a complete aside, that is where the ferry to Kangaroo Island leaves from. We've done the trip twice. Hermit (or anyone else with the chance), take a trip to Kangaroo Island - it's a beautiful place...
Half of it is. The other half got incinerated last January. It'll take quite a few years to recover. Almost 5000 people live there. In addition to tourism farming and logging are among their most important sources of income. The parts of the island that are still in their natural state are continually endangered by development proposals, such as golf courses, helipads, ports and more.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:13 am

At times, you are even more depressing than Scot Dutchy...
And my gin!