Bothsidesing

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Bothsidesing

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:22 pm

What program does he think we all need to get with?

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:20 pm

The Trumpist program, what else? Essentially, whatever happens to spew forth from the rancid faces of Trump and Bannon.

Stevie has scared away his prestigious law firm.

'Steve Bannon’s Lawyers Are Running for the Hills After Client’s Insane Call for Dr. Fauci’s Head'
The day after Steve Bannon mused about beheading FBI Director Christopher Wray and Dr. Anthony Fauci, the Trump loyalist’s powerhouse lawyers asked a federal judge on Friday to postpone a hearing scheduled for Monday because they intend to withdraw from his criminal case.

“Mr. Bannon is in the process of retaining new counsel, and Quinn Emanuel intends to move to withdraw. As a result, Mr. Bannon respectfully requests that the status conference in this matter be adjourned for three weeks so that he may formally retain new counsel,” Bannon’s current counsel William Burck wrote in a one-paragraph letter.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:51 pm

Somehow I doubt the respect claimed on Bannon's behalf is genuine. Just a hunch of course.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:52 pm

Just some totally normal behavior that we see from both sides. :coffee:

Alabama cop calls for the murder of Joe Biden voters: "Put a bullet in their skull for treason"
As the process continued, a Facebook user posted, "The idiots that voted for Biden hated Trump enough to throw the country away. Thank the lying liberals and Democrats news media." Flomaton Police Capt. Scott Walden, in response to that post, wrote, "They need to line up ev1 of them and put a bullet in their skull for treason."

Because of that post, Walden was placed on administrative leave. And he ended up resigning.
https://www.salon.com/2020/11/08/alabam ... n_partner/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:12 pm

Nasty and dangerous to be sure, but during Trump's reign, there have been quite a few examples of progressives hoping for Trump's death, sometimes via violence.

Sorry for bothsidesing, Seabass... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Bernie staffers recommended "reeducation camps" for Republicans, but that's obviously different. It would be like kindergarten, with cookies and milk and nap time, not like the Gulag.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:26 pm

This guy is a police captain.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:38 pm

Consider the source, though, even us Southerners call it "Alabummer". 62.5% voted Trump.

I spent about a month in Dothan one Friday night.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:04 am

Seabass wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:26 pm
This guy is a police captain.
The concept of a tankie police captain just crossed what passes for my mind. Put one in that position, and look out. :?

The thing is, there is a significant swathe of the Trumpist cult that believes the Democratic Party will usher in the day of the tankie police captain (not in so many words, of course). :what:

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:33 pm

And here's the president of the United States of America calling people human garbage. Can you fucking imagine the reaction from Republicans if Obama had done this...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:39 pm

Oh, I'm sure they would have given him short shrift.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Seabass wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:33 pm
And here's the president of the United States of America calling people human garbage. Can you fucking imagine the reaction from Republicans if Obama had done this...

Well, there was Clinton's reference to the "deplorables"

I mean, she was right, but it was unwise to say it publicly... :tea:
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:41 pm

JimC wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm
Seabass wrote:

Clinton wasn't president, it hurt her badly in the polls, she was criticized by members of her own party, and phrases like "human trash", "vermin", "cockroaches", etc, have a bit of ugly historical context behind them...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:48 pm

JimC wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm
Seabass wrote:

I remember when John Major was PM he was given short shrift for calling Eurosceptic Tory MPs 'those bastards', and Gordon Brown was given short shrift when he was caught on mic referring to a woman who harangued him in the street 'that bigoted woman.' Small potatoes by the standards of Australian political censure but nonetheless quite noteworthy over here in the genteel motherland. :tea:

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:57 am

One of our ex Prime Ministers, Paul Keating, had a vicious but funny turn of phrase when attacking his political enemies:

"If there was a university degree for greed, you cunts would all get first-class honours."

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up"

On Wilson Tuckey: "You boxhead you wouldn't know. You are flat out counting past ten."

On John Hewson: "(His performance) is like being flogged with a warm lettuce."

On Andrew Peacock: "I suppose that the Honourable Gentleman's hair, like his intellect, will recede into the darkness."

On Andrew Peacock: "We're not interested in the views of painted, perfumed gigolos."

On Steele Hall: "The Honorable Member has been in so many parties he is a complete political harlot."

To former ALP MP Jim McClelland: "That you Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us."
And my gin!