BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Well it is more or less official: A no-deal Brexit

Boris Johnson tells UK: prepare for a no-deal Brexit
Prime minister says EU must change its approach to talks if deal to be reached
WTF. He has been told often enough this is it.
Boris Johnson has told Britons to prepare for a no-deal Brexit unless the EU makes a fundamental change in its approach to the deadlocked trade and security talks.

In a televised statement, the prime minister stopped short of walking away from the talks, despite his self-imposed deadline for a deal having passed on Thursday.

Instead he said the country would have to prepare for a no-deal scenario on 1 January, while paving the way for the talks to continue next week as suggested by the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier.

Johnson said he was making the decision to prepare for no deal with “a high heart”.

“A lot of progress has been made on such issues as social security and aviation, nuclear cooperation, and so on,” he said, but “for whatever reason, it’s clear from the [EU] summit that after 45 years of [UK] membership they are not willing, unless there’s some fundamental change of approach, to offer this country the same terms as Canada”.

He said that given there were only 10 weeks left until the transition period ended, he had to make a judgment about the likely outcome and to prepare the country.

“I concluded that we should get ready for 1 January with arrangements that are more like Australia’s – based on simple principles of global free trade,” he told reporters in a pooled broadcast statement.

“So, we have high hearts, and with complete confidence we will prepare to embrace the alternative and we will prosper mightily as an independent free-trading nation, controlling our own borders, our fisheries and setting our own laws.”

Responding to Johnson’s statement, Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European commission, tweeted that the EU “continues to work for a deal, but not at any price. As planned, our negotiation team will go to London next week to intensify these negotiations.”

Johnson’s remarks were also dismissed by keen Brexit watchers in the UK.

Georgina Wright, the Brexit lead at the Institute for Government thinktank, said: “This really isn’t news … Next week will be crucial”.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:52 pm

BJ is good only for sucking Big City's dick.

If he thinks the EU will alter its position without some significant give on his side, he's read the art of the deal once too many. We've tried being accomodating, and since that seems only to make them brits more demanding and less amenable to being reasonable, we've come to the conclusion it's not a workable strategy.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm

There's only one minor sticking point. The UK simply demands that they have unfettered access to the largesty free trade zone the world has ever seen without having to contribute to its administration or sign up to those pesky regulations and standards it helped write. It's totally unreasonable of the EU to say Nein to that.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Bug off, we contribute to that zone, we follow the rules, you want to profit from it, you give something to make it worth our while to let you, since you're not a contributing member...

The tories are actually members, the bell end type.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm

You're such an idealist Svarty. It's kinda sweet. :biggrin:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:59 am

Well it has been called everything but now it is a 'thin' deal:

Experts claim Boris Johnson’s ‘thin’ EU deal will cause major economic upset
The outcome being pursued by the prime minister in the Brexit trade talks will not avoid costly friction at the border

The narrow EU deal sought by Boris Johnson will act as a “dead weight” on Britain’s ability to trade, the former boss of the Brexit department has warned, amid rising concerns that the country remains dangerously ill prepared for such an outcome.

Negotiations with the EU remained stuck this weekend after Downing Street told EU negotiators not to bother making a planned trip to London without offering a “fundamental change of approach”. The prime minister stopped short of calling off talks, which will continue this week. In a sign of the severity of business unease, more than 70 trade associations and professional bodies today issue an extraordinary joint plea to both sides to carve out a deal.

However, there are concerns within government and industry that the dire threat of a no-deal outcome has masked the impact of a “thin” EU deal on trade. While a deal will remove tariffs on trade, significant “non-tariff barriers” will be imposed, adding serious costs on manufacturers and practical difficulties for hauliers – while the UK’s large services sector is also expected to be subject to new barriers. Philip Rycroft, who ran the Brexit department until last year, said that negotiators were essentially hammering out “the extent of new barriers to trade”.

“No deal is certainly worse than a deal, but it is just worth remembering – customs declarations, security declarations, regulatory checks, rules of origin, compliance – all of the panoply of a border applies if we get the deal,” he said. “The change that happens at the end of this year, either way, is a massive logistical challenge and a very expensive one.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:09 pm

Oh yeah, it's going to be really, really really expensive. But Serco, Capita, Deloittes, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Earnst & Young, Bearingpoint, KPNG, Bain, McKinsey, Navigant, Alvarez et el are there to lend the UK a helping hand in these troubled times. :tea:

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:03 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm
There's only one minor sticking point. The UK simply demands that they have unfettered access to the largedy free trade zone the world has ever seen without having to contribute to its administration or sign up to those pesky regulations and standards it helped write. It's totally unreasonable of the EU to say Nein to that.
Also British passport holders must be able to use the quick line at European airports, but obviously EU passport holders must queue with the non-Brits at UK airports.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:28 am

Why do we need UK airports? We have plenty but nobody is going anywhere just now

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 am

It is indeed fortunate that one doesn't need a passport to transfer money in and out of one's Cayman Islands account.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:07 am

The wonders of modern life. When my wife first came transferring money internationally took more than a week now it is done within 24 hours.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:07 am
The wonders of modern life. When my wife first came transferring money internationally took more than a week now it is done within 24 hours.
Do you not have EFTs in Holland yet?
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am

:tut:

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am
You can read about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_funds_transfer

It may come to your little backward village soon.
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:19 pm

rainbow wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:12 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am
You can read about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_funds_transfer

It may come to your little backward village soon.
FFS we are a way beyond that. It has probably just reached you. That was over a time span of 15 years.
I never use cash and today only traditionalists still use cash. There is no need for it. You can get the virus of it. :{D