Straya!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Straya!

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:18 am

Yeah it's pretty crazy. I don't know how they manage it. Thankfully not all beaches in Australia are like that.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:54 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:49 am
wtf Bondi beach? Is the Bondi Rescue show real? If that show is to be believed they're constantly pulling drowning people out of the water. They're even rescuing many adults, and telling some of them they shouldn't be in the ocean if they don't know how to swim. --no shit!
Bondi Beach is harmless. There are exceptional days, of course, but rips, powerful waves, bluebottles, shark sightings and such are rare. The worst day ever was when three freak waves washed away a sandbank one Sunday morning in February 1938 and created a monstrous undercurrent. Almost 200 people had to be dragged back to the shore and four or five swimmers drowned. It made headlines all over the nation, and the story has been retold many times ever since.

I suspect that a lot of this shit in the "Bondi Rescue" show is faked. Having very likely spent many more hours at that beach than the film crew, I can recall maybe a dozen times when a lifesaver needed to haul someone in, and on those occasions it was a routine process. Once or twice I helped a tired out swimmer onto my board and onto the shore. No drama there either.

Tamarama Beach, a ten minute walk south from Bondi, is a different kettle of fish. It's a tiny beach, maybe 50 metres from end to end, and it gets good waves even when Bondi is barely lapping. Those waves are much more likely to cause injuries during wipeouts or when you simply get in their way. Tamarama's waves pack more of a punch than Bondi waves of the same size too. The rip at the south end is almost permanent and it is strong. I used to refer to it as the New Zealand Express. I probably retrieved a couple of dozen inexperienced visitors from it, and I have never even been a lifesaver.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:09 am

To put it in perspective, I've only ever seen one person pulled out of the surf. Well, two, if you include the dead guy.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:19 am

I used to enjoy body surfing back in the day, on Victoria's surf coast...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 am

A great buy mate:

Low blow: Sydney's new ferries won't fit under bridges while passengers on top deck
Commuters will have to move before boats can travel under Camellia Railway Bridge and Gasworks Bridge on Parramatta River

The New South Wales government has confirmed that 10 newly purchased ferries will not be able to safely pass under bridges along the Parramatta River if commuters are sitting on the top decks.

Purchased from Indonesia, the new River Class ferries are set to join the NSW transport fleet later in the year, operating along the Parramatta River and on inner harbour routes.

The new boats include an upper deck with 10 seats, but these commuters must be called below before the boat can travel under the Camellia Railway Bridge and the Gasworks Bridge near Parramatta due to their low clearance levels.
"Goedkoop is duurkoop". (Buying cheap is expensive) :hehe:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:51 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 am
A great buy mate:

Low blow: Sydney's new ferries won't fit under bridges while passengers on top deck
Commuters will have to move before boats can travel under Camellia Railway Bridge and Gasworks Bridge on Parramatta River

The New South Wales government has confirmed that 10 newly purchased ferries will not be able to safely pass under bridges along the Parramatta River if commuters are sitting on the top decks.

Purchased from Indonesia, the new River Class ferries are set to join the NSW transport fleet later in the year, operating along the Parramatta River and on inner harbour routes.

The new boats include an upper deck with 10 seats, but these commuters must be called below before the boat can travel under the Camellia Railway Bridge and the Gasworks Bridge near Parramatta due to their low clearance levels.
"Goedkoop is duurkoop". (Buying cheap is expensive) :hehe:
Big deal. 43 ferries ply Sydney Harbour on 8 routes and carry 15 million passengers a year. The Parramatta route does 20% of them. By the time the ferries get to Camellia they are almost empty. The Camellia and Gasworks bridges are between the Parramatta terminal and the Rydalmere stop 2.9 kilometres to the west.

What's more, 10 seats out of a capacity of 200 is no great shakes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:19 am

What a load of cobblers.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:13 pm

Amazing pubic spending can be done even though what they buying does not meet the specs. A nice little brown envelope or two. It stinks of corruption. Maybe that is normal in Ozland.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:16 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:13 pm
Amazing pubic spending can be done even though what they buying does not meet the specs. A nice little brown envelope or two. It stinks of corruption. Maybe that is normal in Ozland.
Not much worse than Netherlands.
Since its inception in 1995, the Corruption Perceptions Index, Transparency International’s flagship research product, has become the leading global indicator of public sector corruption. The index offers an annual snapshot of the relative degree of corruption by ranking countries and territories from all over the globe.
Australia 2019: Rank 12/180 2019 77/100
Netherlands 2019: Rank 8/180 Score 82/100

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 am

That's data. You can't trust that.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:23 am

stupid data

--//--

When do we get this tech for individuals? --hurry up China, I can't wait to get my own corruption score!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:52 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:23 am
stupid data
Quite. These data are plucked out of the air. I found the genuine set, though. Made in the Netherlands, so you can trust them to be accurate.

Australia 2019: Rank 1/180 2019 98/100
Netherlands 2019: Rank 178/180 Score 2/100

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:13 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:52 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
stupid data
Quite. These data are plucked out of the air. I found the genuine set, though. Made in the Netherlands, so you can trust them to be accurate.

The parameters and protocol is applied the same for every country. Nice bit of corruption there. Australia would dream to have that score but you only reached 77 :{D Along with UK.

We reached 82 8th. place.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/results

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:56 am

Hermit wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
stupid data

The Netherlands is definitely more rank than Australia, some of those canals are open sewers.

Not many people know that.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:44 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:13 am
Hermit wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
stupid data

The parameters and protocol is applied the same for every country. Nice bit of corruption there. Australia would dream to have that score but you only reached 77 :{D Along with UK.

We reached 82 8th. place.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/results
Ahem :hehe: