The Coronavirus Thread

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by rainbow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:03 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 pm
The Dutch government said today that masks have no effect and that wearing them has only behavioural effect. So a national rule to impose mandatory wearing will not be imposed.
Please send a link. I can read Nederlandse.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:14 am

Is it worth pointing out that it's not governments that collect and report data? It's the civil service.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am

I think the response would be that they're mere functionaries - the organ-grinder's monkey.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:33 am

It's true that in some cases their stats may not be publicly available, and it's the government that acts as gatekeeper to those stats. But that would be for Scot to prove. And as we know, he doesn't prove anything. It's all feelings for him.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:05 pm
Who cares what some pointy egg headed epidemiologist thinks? I get my news from Facebook, like other stable geniuses do.
If they don't also watch fauxnews, they are not really stable geniuses.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:07 am

I am the very model of a modern stable genius.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

LucidFlight
About me: I enjoy transcending space-time.

Post by LucidFlight » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am

The various recommendations on wearing masks should be supplemented with the condition of God's willingness to aid that protection.

Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:16 am

It's like saying "This tiny ladder cannot save us from a 20m deep fall if God is not willing" and then jump from the roof.

Damn, I wanna see that video. Please supply link to video!

LucidFlight

Post by LucidFlight » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 am

Here you go. It's about 2 minutes in. Islamabad.

Survival: Developing Countries On The Frontline
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/vi ... e-12967396
Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 pm

That cleric hasn't read his hadith collection. His whole argument is destroyed in this one
Sahih al-Bukhari 5729 wrote: `Umar bin Al-Khattab departed for Sham and when he reached Sargh, the commanders of the (Muslim) army, Abu 'Ubaida bin Al-Jarrah and his companions met him and told him that an epidemic had broken out in Sham. `Umar said, "Call for me the early emigrants." So `Umar called them, consulted them and informed them that an epidemic had broken out in Sham. Those people differed in their opinions. Some of them said, "We have come out for a purpose and we do not think that it is proper to give it up," while others said (to `Umar), "You have along with you. other people and the companions of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) so do not advise that we take them to this epidemic." `Umar said to them, "Leave me now." Then he said, "Call the Ansar for me." I called them and he consulted them and they followed the way of the emigrants and differed as they did. He then said to them, Leave me now," and added, "Call for me the old people of Quraish who emigrated in the year of the Conquest of Mecca." I called them and they gave a unanimous opinion saying, "We advise that you should return with the people and do not take them to that (place) of epidemic." So `Umar made an announcement, "I will ride back to Medina in the morning, so you should do the same."

Abu 'Ubaida bin Al-Jarrah said (to `Umar), "Are you running away from what Allah had ordained?" `Umar said, "Would that someone else had said such a thing, O Abu 'Ubaida! Yes, we are running from what Allah had ordained to what Allah has ordained. Don't you agree that if you had camels that went down a valley having two places, one green and the other dry, you would graze them on the green one only if Allah had ordained that, and you would graze them on the dry one only if Allah had ordained that?"

At that time `Abdur-Rahman bin `Auf, who had been absent because of some job, came and said, "I have some knowledge about this. I have heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) saying, 'If you hear about it (an outbreak of plague) in a land, do not go to it; but if plague breaks out in a country where you are staying, do not run away from it.' " `Umar thanked Allah and returned to Medina.

LucidFlight

Post by LucidFlight » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:08 pm

He had an argument? Sorry, I didn't really follow much of his rambling.

I did enjoy the story of Sahih al-Bukhar that you posted, though.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:25 pm

al-Bukhar was the guy who collected these stories. Sahih means that he believed this story to be trustworthy.

It's always funny in those hadiths when there is a discussion and to resolve that someone just pops up and says "I heard the prophet say that and that". It would be a great argument to use in many situations.

"Do you really think you should have another piece of cake?. You have already eaten three of those!"
"I heard the prophet say that one should always have an even number of pieces of cake!"

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Another Christian evangelical sect (just 30kms from me) has a major outbreak. 40 positive cases in the first testing round....

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pm

God works in mysterious ways..

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:49 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am
The various recommendations on wearing masks should be supplemented with the condition of God's willingness to aid that protection.
Surely if it were God's will, then only the Infidel would be afflicted?

:smug: What am I missing here? :shifty:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4