The Coronavirus Thread

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:02 pm

The "second wave" concept is 100% true in Victoria, for sure. After the first wave, figures were very low for some time, and then pow!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:18 pm

I'm waiting for the penny to drop. Will it?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 pm

We shall see. :tea:

JimC wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:02 pm
The "second wave" concept is 100% true in Victoria, for sure. After the first wave, figures were very low for some time, and then pow!
I can understand an epidemiologist saying that 'second wave' isn't a useful concept from their perspective. They study diseases like infections in a population. A population either has an infection or it doesn't. If it does epidemiologists what to know to what extent, things like it's distribution, how infectious is it, transmission rates, mortality and immunity rates etc. They try to understand the nature of the patterns of transmission, infection, and expression in order to get a better picture of what's going on in the world, and hopefully to help mitigate effects when that becomes of concern to public health.

On its own a term like 'second wave' isn't very informative to an epidemiologist. It describes a snapshot in the life cycle of an infection, but little else - epidemiologically speaking. It's just counting humps. But submitting that the term is inadmissible even in this context feels more like appealing to science in order to tone-police what and how we talk about something.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:05 pm

Who cares what some pointy egg headed epidemiologist thinks? I get my news from Facebook, like other stable geniuses do.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:47 pm

...not second waving, drowning...
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 pm

Tero wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:06 pm
No mask for Scotty, so more masks for me.

I got a pack of 10 KN95 masks that are not official, not tested. Each mask should work easily 10 times. Good fit around the nose. But the rubber band is a bit tight. Makes my ears stick out.
Just how do you know? Got some data. The Dutch government said today that masks have no effect and that wearing them has only behavioural effect. So a national rule to impose mandatory wearing will not be imposed.
As I always say where is the specs and protocol about the masks and there use? Nowhere.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm

Wearing masks is mandatory in the Netherlands. (On public transport)

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:56 pm

IMG_20200730_021335.jpg

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:25 am

723 new cases in Victoria today. :o
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:47 am

We were hoping that we'd had the peak a few days ago, but no... :(
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:53 am

NineBerry wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm
Wearing masks is mandatory in the Netherlands. (On public transport)
Only on public transport and that is under review. People are saying it was a knee-jerk reaction as masks does not replace social distancing.
Burgermeesters (mayors) have been given more powers to impose or lift any measures in their gemeente (council area).

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 am

So Scott. Still nothing to say about the figure for the NL in that ratio I pointed being twice that of the UK? Are your government's numbers just as political as anywhere else - has your gov made better or worse political decisions based on better or worse political figures?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 am
So Scott. Still nothing to say about the figure for the NL in that ratio I pointed being twice that of the UK? Are your government's numbers just as political as anywhere else - has your gov made better or worse political decisions based on better or worse political figures?
Briann, your data is from a government that is corrupt and known for its data manipulation. (see the 'State of UK' thread). If anything it shows how paranoid the UK is and how its government have pushed and control the British people. The numbers are still not significant. Do you on the same token accept say the US figures without question? More fool you if you do.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:26 am

If it's about control then the numbers would be higher, not lower. You can't even keep your story straight.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:56 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 am
Briann, your data is from a government that is corrupt and known for its data manipulation. (see the 'State of UK' thread). If anything it shows how paranoid the UK is and how its government have pushed and control the British people. The numbers are still not significant. Do you on the same token accept say the US figures without question? More fool you if you do.
You know that governments are not the only organisations measuring this don't you - that independent data is being collected and reported by independent organisations and institutions? Are they also being controlled by government along with the people, and what makes you think the NL government isn't doing the same?

You still haven't said whether you think the data used by the NL gov, or the political decisions they've made, are better or worse than the UK given the basic comparison I provided. Who's doing better or worse and who's controlling whom when the ratio of deaths to population are 1 in 2812 for one country and 1 in 1452 for another?

But even if you dispute the specific numbers can you really dispute the overall trend, when some countries like South Korea and Vietnam seem to have avoided widespread transmission and infection rates and countries like the UK and NL haven't? Are the NL government the only honest government in the world, and if so why are they seemingly doing such a bad job of managing Covid-19?

Frank Zappa