George Floyd protests

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: George Floyd protests

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:57 am

I've been looking for this thread. I meant to say how right I think your analysis is.

--//--
but fails when it comes to imagining that black and hispanic cops may feel that they should not be seen to show lenience to blacks and hispanics--that they may believe that it's necessary to prove that they're at least as tough on blacks and hispanics as white cops are, otherwise they aren't 'good cops.'
On this point though, I thought that blacks policing blacks, whites policing whites etc, because of demographics, was a good explanation for why blacks are as likely to be shot by a black cop as a white one*. It is certainly simpler than the quoted bit. It was mentioned in some research I posted elsewhere on the boards when this subject came up.

*edited to say as likely, rather than more likely.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:28 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:36 pm

There is much reliance on statistics that show white suspects are killed by police proportionally more often than black suspects are. He does speculate briefly on why that might be the case, but takes it as read and uses it as a solid point on the side of 'hey, it's pretty much all in their heads', his precise wording is 'mass hysteria.' Good ol' Sam. God bless him.
I think you pretty much nailed why Harris' remarks are, shall we say, unsettling. I've selected the bit above because I found this the most problematic part of what he said. Even being charitable I think it's difficult not to take this any other way than him saying, "Data seems to show racism isn't a factor in policing because police officers kill proportionately more unarmed white people than black people." Elsewhere he's said that people who have done nothing wrong and/or have been misidentified or unreliably targetted by law enforcement are probably more likely to be annoyed, angry and non-compliant, but when that's laid against statements which appear to highlight that black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime - particularly violent crime against other black people - then it feels as if he is encouraging us to simply take these facts in isolation and without any further social, economic, judicial etc context. It's also easily taken to imply that black people are just more dangerous and criminally minded as a group. And yet, the data seems reliable. Which leaves me thinking that the matter of racism in law enforcement is far more complex than any particular data-point might suggest.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Chicago mayor urges citizens to call cops on feds, so she can sue Trump for ‘abuses’ in crackdown on gun crime
Mayor Lori Lightfoot has urged Chicagoans to literally call the police over any “unconstitutional” actions by federal agents sent by President Donald Trump to help with a crackdown on skyrocketing violent crime.
Residents should call the police or social services if they “see something that doesn't look right,” Lightfoot said at a press conference on Wednesday.

“If we see any steps out of line,” she said, “we are not going to hesitate to take the president to court and stop any unconstitutional actions.” The Democrat mayor singled out the Border Patrol and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for scrutiny.

The federal intervention is part of Operation Legend, a crackdown on gun crimes named after the 4-year-old LeGend Taliferro of Kansas City, Missouri, killed earlier this month in a shooting. It is not related to the ongoing operation to protect the federal courthouse in Portland, Oregon, which Lightfoot condemned as “tyranny and unconstitutional.”

https://www.rt.com/usa/495562-chicago-m ... ice-trump/
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Thing is, you start destroying Federal property and you get Federal troops all up in your shit. In 1861 we shot up Ft. Sumter and look what the motherfuckers did to Atlanta.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Inpector to send another letter to Bill Barr
:funny:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/23/poli ... index.html

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:30 am

24BF743D-3D45-4399-9B6D-A9D54F6DBBB2.jpeg

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:51 am

This should be interesting.

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 pm

A mate of mine (libertarian) was asked by another mate (lefty) why the "alt-right" isn't out there protecting the protesters from tyrannical gummint agents. He said "because the weapons we'd use are the same ones they want to ban". He's right, you know. Can't have it both ways.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:28 pm

laklak wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 pm
A mate of mine (libertarian) was asked by another mate (lefty) why the "alt-right" isn't out there protecting the protesters from tyrannical gummint agents. He said "because the weapons we'd use are the same ones they want to ban". He's right, you know. Can't have it both ways.
So the so called libertarians are effectively on the side of tyrannical gummint agents. Why am I not surprised?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:32 pm

Nope. Enemy of my enemy, is still my enemy. A pox on both their houses. Fuck 'em.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:52 pm

laklak wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:32 pm
Nope. Enemy of my enemy, is still my enemy. A pox on both their houses. Fuck 'em.
You cannot choose to have no government. Evidently you're siding with tyrannical gummint agents.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 pm

Nope. I choose not to support people, government affiliated or not, who want to restrict my constitutional rights. The Democrats and Bernie Bros and Hillary Shrills and SJWs are welcome to use their muzzle loading muskets against Teh Fascist Gummint, that's what they wanted to restrict me to. Not that long ago, either, go back just a couple of months. Now it's all "Help me, Obi Wan!" Hoist by their own petard and I find it fucking delicious. I live in a state that doesn't restrict my 2nd Amendment rights by choice, not by accident.

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Actually, I probably should support them, now that I think about it. I know! I'll change my FB profile pic and buy a BLM T-shirt. That will show those fascist pigs.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:11 am

laklak wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 pm
Nope. I choose not to support people, government affiliated or not, who want to restrict my constitutional rights.
So, you'll keep your assault style rifle in exchange for letting unidentified federal goons round up citizens and bundle them into unmarked vans without the bothersome tradition of arresting them on grounds of some offence or another. Trump loves people like you. Right up to the point of cancelling the elections on health grounds, and there will be nothing you'll be able to do about it. Your rifles will be no match for his goons.

laklak

Post by laklak » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:15 am

Well, it is 3000 miles away from me, so a bit difficult to get involved without a major effort. Plus, as I've been told repeatedly, my rifles won't stop an M1 Tank or a Hellfire missile. If and when it come time to take up arms it will be because there is absolutely no other option, including getting the fuck out of Dodge for good. It means, basically, civil war. I've never seen a nice civil war, and I'd rather avoid that if possible. Opening fire on Federales never turns out well, but there is a point at which it could happen. Swaziland beckons. So no, I'm not going to commit suicide by engaging in armed insurrection over some dead guy I never met, or a bunch of idiots who want to establish an anarchists collective in Portlandia. I got over that sort of nonsense back in the 70s.