Global Climate Change Science News

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon May 18, 2020 2:49 am

Heat and humidity that has the potential to kill people. Ah well, we have to remember that since these scientists are not being paid by fossil fuel interests, we should take what they say with a grain of salt.

'Potentially fatal combinations of humidity and heat are emerging across the globe'
Most everyone knows that humid heat is harder to handle than the "dry" kind. And recently, some scientists have projected that later in the century, in parts of the tropics and subtropics, warming climate could cause combined heat and humidity to reach levels rarely if ever experienced before by humans. Such conditions would ravage economies, and possibly even surpass the physiological limits of human survival.

According to a new study, the projections are wrong: such conditions are already appearing. The study identifies thousands of previously rare or unprecedented bouts of extreme heat and humidity in Asia, Africa, Australia, South America and North America, including in the U.S. Gulf Coast region. Along the Persian Gulf, researchers spotted more than a dozen recent brief outbreaks surpassing the theoretical human survivability limit. The outbreaks have so far been confined to localized areas and lasted just hours, but they are increasing in frequency and intensity, say the authors. The study appears this week in the journal Science Advances.

"Previous studies projected that this would happen several decades from now, but this shows it's happening right now," said lead author Colin Raymond, who did the research as a Ph.D. student at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory. "The times these events last will increase, and the areas they affect will grow in direct correlation with global warming."
Of course there was at least one notable heatwave in Europe that killed people in recent years, but this sounds beyond that.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon May 18, 2020 8:22 am

It was 41C in Athens this weekend.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:15 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 am
I just got told to 'answer the question' by someone who may be in charge here.

I'll dismiss his order, just to see if he really IS in charge, or is in fact an impotent poster, who likes clicking 'Post Bollocks' very seriously.
Yes, definitely in charge, though his supervisor might think otherwise. Those in charge use fewest words, and their few words are empty piffle...reminiscent of what's in their head.

Here's a brain-dead heroin(e), a glitterati, cognoscenti, idol of the radical left, a true celebrity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBqDQCHF0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs0GyIb9C10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEKGq54mDEg

Soon we won't have to worry about poverty or affluence. Excess of a million/week already die from famine :read:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:07 am

Galaxian wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:15 am
Soon we won't have to worry about poverty or affluence. Excess of a million/week already die from famine :read:
Did you make this one up yourself, or is it from one of your :shock: Conspiracy :shock: Websites?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:22 am
It was 41C in Athens this weekend.
not unusual.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:25 pm

Russian ship makes Arctic journey in record time.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020 ... -crossing/
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Dutch city redraws its layout to prepare for global heating effects
Measures include replacing 10% of Arnhem’s asphalt with grass to better cope with heat

The Dutch city of Arnhem is digging up asphalt roads and creating shady areas around busy shopping districts after concluding that the consequences of global heating are unavoidable.

Under a 10-year plan for the city unveiled on Wednesday, a new layout is proposed to better prepare residents for extreme weather conditions such as downpours, droughts and intense heatwaves.

The council has decided that 10% of the asphalt must make way for grasses and other plants to better dissipate heat and improve the city’s absorption of rainfall. A goal has been set for 90% of rainwater to be absorbed into the soil rather than running off into the city’s sewers.

The Dutch government has pledged to reduce the Netherlands’ greenhouse gas emissions by 49% by 2030, compared with 1990 levels, and to secure a 95% reduction by 2050.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:06 pm

5857870C-4B0B-4040-A1E0-FC04CABB6AB3.jpeg
The author of the study says that mo new technology is needed.
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/energy ... -electrify
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:37 pm

This paper is open access, but Agence France-Presse and Reuters didn't include a link. Here's a link to the Reuters story on Yahoo, just for the hell of it. The melting isn't going to stop. The question is the rate of melting.

'Dynamic ice loss from the Greenland Ice Sheet driven by sustained glacier retreat'
Abstract:

The Greenland Ice Sheet is losing mass at accelerated rates in the 21st century, making it the largest single contributor to rising sea levels. Faster flow of outlet glaciers has substantially contributed to this loss, with the cause of speedup, and potential for future change, uncertain. Here we combine more than three decades of remotely sensed observational products of outlet glacier velocity, elevation, and front position changes over the full ice sheet. We compare decadal variability in discharge and calving front position and find that increased glacier discharge was due almost entirely to the retreat of glacier fronts, rather than inland ice sheet processes, with a remarkably consistent speedup of 4–5% per km of retreat across the ice sheet. We show that widespread retreat between 2000 and 2005 resulted in a step-increase in discharge and a switch to a new dynamic state of sustained mass loss that would persist even under a decline in surface melt.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:29 am

Did you know the arctic circle is on fire?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:36 am

Good news! The tropical regions are expanding. Everybody likes the tropics, right?

'The tropics are expanding, and climate change is the primary culprit'
Earth's tropics are expanding poleward and that expansion is driven by human-caused changes to the ocean, according to new research.

The tropics wrap around Earth's middle like a warm, wet belt. This part of the globe gets the most direct sunlight throughout the year and is characterized by high average temperatures and heavy rainfall. In contrast to the tropics' lush interior, however, this region's edges are hot and parched.

Scientists have noticed for the past 15 years that these arid bands are expanding toward the poles into regions like the Mediterranean, southern Australia and southern California. Interestingly, these dry areas have expanded more in the Southern Hemisphere than the Northern Hemisphere and researchers have struggled to pinpoint exactly what is driving the trend.

A new study in AGU's Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres argues that the failure to agree on an exact mechanism has been, in part, because most researchers have been looking in the wrong place. The new study found tropical expansion is driven primarily by ocean warming caused by climate change rather than direct changes to the atmosphere. A bigger shift is happening in the Southern Hemisphere because it has more ocean surface area, according to the new study.
The paper is open access:

'Tropical Expansion Driven by Poleward Advancing Midlatitude Meridional Temperature Gradients'
Abstract:

An abundance of evidence indicates that the tropics are expanding. Despite many attempts to decipher the cause, the underlying dynamical mechanism driving tropical expansion is still not entirely clear. Here, based on observations, multimodel simulations from the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project phase 5 (CMIP5) and purposefully designed numerical experiments, the variations and trends of the tropical width are explored from a regional perspective. We find that the width of the tropics closely follows the displacement of oceanic midlatitude meridional temperature gradients (MMTG). Under global warming, as a first‐order response, the subtropical ocean experiences more surface warming because of the mean Ekman convergence of anomalously warm water. The enhanced subtropical warming, which is partially independent of natural climate oscillations, such as the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, leads to poleward advance of the MMTG and drives the tropical expansion. Our results, supported by both observations and model simulations, imply that global warming may have already significantly contributed to the ongoing tropical expansion, especially over the ocean‐dominant Southern Hemisphere.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:04 am

We'll be growing bananas, mangos and pineapples in Melbourne!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:54 am

And we'll be toast.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:16 am

It'll get to 55C at Hermit's place. Only dirt will grow.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:10 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:54 am
And we'll be toast.
Eh?

Melba-toast?

Good'un, mate.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4