Yet more problematic stuff

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:19 pm
... That doesn't make any sense, but then, neither do a lot of things you post about. ..
It's OK to not understand something, and there's no need to get salty with others if you don't. Not everything you don't understand is people poking fun at you or having a go - and if people do explain something they're not necessarily doing it to point out how stupid they think you are. However, if you change your tune about what you wrote and clearly implied, and then you pretend not to understand what people are saying to dodge questions and avoid taking responsibility ans ownership for what you said, then people will draw their own conclusions about you.

People have drawn their own conclusions about you, but they're probably only the same conclusions you've drawn about yourself, Cunt.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am

Cunt wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:38 am
I'm certain that Morgan Freeman expressed a best way to address racism in modern America.
Morgan Freeman reckons the way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. I guess he hasn't quite figured out that no problem has ever been solved by not talking about it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri May 15, 2020 6:02 am

Hermit wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am
Cunt wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:38 am
I'm certain that Morgan Freeman expressed a best way to address racism in modern America.
Morgan Freeman reckons the way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. I guess he hasn't quite figured out that no problem has ever been solved by not talking about it.
Can't disagree with you there.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue May 19, 2020 2:54 am

When President Trump started referring to COVID-19 as the “Chinese virus” in March, he changed how Asian communities across the U.S. experienced the pandemic. The racialization of a disease perpetuated fear and, in some cases, violence against their communities.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 am

It looks like some people have a really tough time separating the Chinese government from chinese people.

I understood him to be blaming the CCP government. I can see how some people get confused though...some folks even call it racist to condemn a religion, or illegal border-crossers.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am

How can you tell when you don't even know what racism is or what it means?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Tue May 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Cunt wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 am
It looks like some people have a really tough time separating the Chinese government from chinese people.

I understood him to be blaming the CCP government. I can see how some people get confused though...some folks even call it racist to condemn a religion, or illegal border-crossers.
RepublicansPeople are so easily confused, yes. It’s almost like it’s easier to score political points by addressing people’s cognitive biases– like racism.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am
How can you tell when you don't even know what racism is or what it means?
It means different things to different people.

So much so, that I've never heard anyone here change their mind after calling someone a racist. Maybe you have, and I missed it.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 2:34 pm

I've changed my mind about someone from not thinking about them as being racist to racist. Does that count, or are you only interested in it going in the other direction?

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue May 19, 2020 2:47 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:34 pm
I've changed my mind about someone from not thinking about them as being racist to racist. Does that count, or are you only interested in it going in the other direction?
Not really.

There is no definition that doesn't rely on racism. It's like GEB the eternal golden braid.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 3:15 pm

What do you mean by racism there?

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue May 19, 2020 3:21 pm

(look up G.E.B. - I explain it poorly, the author does better)

It is an inevitable loop, like Escher's stairs. If you try to describe racism, you'll have to be racist to do it.

Racism does exist (as most people mean it) but the accusations are usually just bullshit. Pinning down a definition can actually mean progress.

Leaving it vague makes for spicy news coverage, though, so will win the public attention.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Well I can agree that definitions are important, even though they tend to lag behind usage. But you said that racism meant different things to different people, which I'm sure is true, but that led me to ask you what you mean by it when you're talking about it.

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue May 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 pm
Well I can agree that definitions are important, even though they tend to lag behind usage. But you said that racism meant different things to different people, which I'm sure is true, but that led me to ask you what you mean by it when you're talking about it.
I consider humans one race.

Dividing it further is sometimes useful, but not often. Case by case, you know.

For instance, if someone claims that the USA is 'systemically racist', I have to immediately consider it on contrast to other nations, and how 'systemically racist' they are.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Which is nice an' everything, but it still doesn't tell me what you mean by racist and racism when you use those terms.

Frank Zappa