All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by Hermit » Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 pm
I'm happy to acknowledge those differences Jim, but in a managed democracy such differences that there are only amount to branding distinctions within narrowly defined boundaries that offer a choice between continuity or more of the same.
You sound as if it doesn't matter whether Biden wins the presidency in November, or if Trump gets another four years. If so, are you serious?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 am

Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
I'm happy to acknowledge those differences Jim, but in a managed democracy such differences that there are only amount to branding distinctions within narrowly defined boundaries that offer a choice between continuity or more of the same.
You sound as if it doesn't matter whether Biden wins the presidency in November, or if Trump gets another four years. If so, are you serious?
I think in a straight choice between the nicer liberals or the nastier liberals you'd be silly to vote for the nasties. But that wasn't my point. A managed democracy is one that offers you a choice at the ballot box but it doesn't offer you a choice about what you can choose from - that is decided for you, and thus one's voting choices are managed by the very small number of people who already have power and control within the system.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 am

A 'managed democracy' is an oxymoron. Another wondrous thought up word? They are not democracies and mostly confined to the Anglo-Saxon world. There is no system in Europe that approaches the corruption of the USA except the UK.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue May 19, 2020 10:26 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 am
Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
I think in a straight choice between the nicer liberals or the nastier liberals you'd be silly to vote for the nasties. But that wasn't my point. A managed democracy is one that offers you a choice at the ballot box but it doesn't offer you a choice about what you can choose from - that is decided for you, and thus one's voting choices are managed by the very small number of people who already have power and control within the system.
You're right. We do not have have a choice about what we can choose from. This, however, does not mean the choice between nicer liberals and nastier liberals is as meaningless as choosing between Pepsi and Coke or between Reebok and Nike. The welfare of us plebeians is significantly altered by who we vote for, be it Republican or Democrat in the USA, Labor or the Libeal/National party coalition in Australia, Tory or labour in the UK or any other country in which the only options are between neoliberals and conservatives.

If anything, your observation my be profound, but on the very grounds that we are not given a choice about what we can choose from, it is, to put it mildly, merely academic. Maybe create a separate thread on the topic?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 10:28 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 am
A 'managed democracy' is an oxymoron. Another wondrous thought up word?
No, I haven't made it up. It's a practical term that describes a set of real-world conditions. Look it up.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 19, 2020 10:33 am

You triggered him when you wrote "democracy". As we know, it's one of his things.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:26 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:43 am
Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
You're right. We do not have have a choice about what we can choose from. This, however, does not mean the choice between nicer liberals and nastier liberals is as meaningless as choosing between Pepsi and Coke or between Reebok and Nike.

Hermit wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:26 am
The welfare of us plebeians is significantly altered by who we vote for, be it Republican or Democrat in the USA, Labor or the Libeal/National party coalition in Australia, Tory or labour in the UK or any other country in which the only options are between neoliberals and conservatives.

If anything, your observation my be profound, but on the very grounds that we are not given a choice about what we can choose from, it is, to put it mildly, merely academic. Maybe create a separate thread on the topic?
Yeah, it's probably better placed in the Capitalism thread, but I was responding to what Cunt posted here rather than there.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 10:37 am

I'd also say that as an idea it isn't 'merely academic' if one is interested in promoting the possibility of a progressive politics.

Frank Zappa

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:37 am
I'd also say that as an idea it isn't 'merely academic' if one is interested in promoting the possibility of a progressive politics.
Quite. In that context it is definitely not merely academic. In the context of this thread it is worth no more than a brief mention at best.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 12:21 pm

Indeed. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue May 19, 2020 3:03 pm

F1B4BFB9-E42F-428D-A44E-A1B0C233DF07.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Trump is refusing to unveil Obama's portrait at the White House, breaking a 40-year tradition
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-r ... &r=US&IR=T

Sad, insecure, pathetic little weasel.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue May 19, 2020 6:02 pm

Agreed, but I didn't expect YOU to talk about Obama that way.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... e-nbc-news
Former President Obama is uninterested in participating in the tradition with Trump in office
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 pm

96EB8999-5B12-45F1-818B-4218D807D264.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state