The Coronavirus Thread

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Hermit » Mon May 18, 2020 5:40 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:12 am
Yeah, this is more likely than Peacock's explanation. These people paid no lip service. They are out and out conservatives.
Maybe it was projection along the line of "I was not an environmental activist in my younger days. None of friends and family were environmental activists in their younger days. Therefore none of us superannuated codgers were environmental activists in their younger days."

My experience was different. My sister actually got arrested during one of the the many Franklin Dam protests that kept happening for month after month in 1983/4. (We won.) I was almost arrested during the ten month Daintree Forest blockade in the same year. (We won that one too.) There were thousands of us (on a revolving basis) participating in each project. Our environmentalism did not start there, nor did it finish then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 18, 2020 6:42 am

That told me then. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon May 18, 2020 8:19 am

Her mother was pop singer and took part in the Eurovision Song competition.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 am

:)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 18, 2020 9:49 pm

There seems to be some long-term health problems associated with Covid-19, even after you are no longer infected:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/ ... y/12252602
Scientists are still uncovering the deadly secrets of the virus and the long-term impact for those who recover from the disease is yet to be fully understood.

In serious cases there are concerns about major organ damage.

The World Health Organisation states those with less severe cases of COVID-19 should recover within two weeks, and serious cases could take up to six weeks.

But even patients with what are considered mild bouts of the virus, are experiencing fatigue and breathlessness well beyond the suggested recovery period.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon May 18, 2020 10:16 pm

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon May 18, 2020 10:22 pm

What a shitty disease.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue May 19, 2020 6:24 am

We found that SARS-CoV-2 replicates poorly in dogs, pigs, chickens, and ducks, but ferrets and cats are permissive to infection. We found experimentally that cats are susceptible to airborne infection. Our study provides important insights into the animal models for SARS-CoV-2 and animal management for COVID-19 control.
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.abb7015

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue May 19, 2020 6:29 am

It was difficult to perform regular nasal wash collection on the subadult cats because they were aggressive. To avoid possible injury, we only collected feces from these cats and checked for viral RNA in their organs after euthanasia.
Lol

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 6:47 am

Will someone please think of the kittens!?!!1!

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue May 19, 2020 7:12 am

Infected pussy... :nono:
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Medical masks vs N95 respirators for preventing COVID‐19 in healthcare workers: A systematic review and meta‐analysis of randomized trials

Our systematic review update identified 1 new randomized trial (n = 5180) eligible for meta‐analysis following screening of 389 titles and abstracts, and 12 full‐texts (Figure 1).18 To date, there have been four trials where healthcare workers providing care for patients with acute febrile illness were randomized to medical masks (n = 3957) or N95 respirators (n = 4779), of which 3 were identified from a 2016 systematic review (Table 1)

see the paper

Forty‐one healthcare workers were exposed to aerosol‐generating procedures from a patient with severe pneumonia, who later tested positive for SARS‐CoV‐2 during COVID‐19 surveillance. These procedures included endotracheal intubation, extubation, non‐invasive ventilation, and exposure to aerosols in an open circuit. All of the exposed healthcare workers tested negative 14 days after their date of exposure, despite 85% (35/41) having worn surgical masks during the high‐risk procedures.26 Given the limited direct evidence from this case‐report, further research on the risk of secondary infection in healthcare workers caring for COVID‐19 patients is warranted.

There are several limitations in this meta‐analysis. First, only one trial individually studied cases of coronavirus infection between medical masks and N95 respirators; therefore, we were unable to meta‐analyze coronavirus infection specifically. This led us to downgrade the evidence with GRADE as it relates to indirectness because our findings may not be generalizable to SARS‐CoV‐2.

With the widespread of SARS‐CoV‐2, a serious concern is that stockpiles of N95 respirators will be depleted. The Department of Health and Human Services announced that its Strategic National Stockpile—the emergency stockpile of drugs and medical supplies in the United States—contained approximately 30 million medical masks and 12 million N95 respirators. This stockpile of respiratory protective devices equates to 1% of the estimated amount needed for U.S HCWs in a pandemic scenario (42 million stockpiled compared with the estimated 3.5 billion needed).28 Based on the evidence, preservation of N95 respirators for high‐risk, aerosol‐generating procedures in this pandemic should be considered when in short supply. The uncertainty of this evidence and the depleting stockpiles of respiratory protective devices emphasize the need for further comparative research of medical masks and N95 respirators.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... /irv.12745

What does it mean? They don't know. The n95 masks can't be worse, so use them if possible, for healthcare workers.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm

There's a whole raft of PP protocols and equipment recommended for Covid-19 cases. I don't think one can pin the low infection rate on masks alone.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 am

Some fascinating scientific work has been done in Victoria, tracing coronavirus clusters through detailed DNA analysis of viral samples from 75% of Victoria's infected population:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/doze ... 54ug3.html
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 am

Dutch minks are the best minks
Dutch authorities believe that a mink may have infected a human with Covid-19, and are instituting mandatory testing at all mink farms in the Netherlands.

“On the basis of new research results from the ongoing research into Covid-19 infections at mink farms, it is plausible that an infection took place from mink to human,” the Dutch government said in a statement late Tuesday night. “It also appears from this research that minks can have Covid-19 without displaying symptoms.”

The government said that antibody testing of minks will be expanded to “all mink farms in the Netherlands and will become mandatory.”

The government also said it believes that cats may be playing a role in the spread of the virus between farms. “Ongoing research shows the viruses at two of the infected farms are very similar,” the statement said. Covid-19 was found in three of 11 cats at one mink farm, it said.
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... index.html

And again with the cats. I don't think we will be able to avoid culling all the cats. :Jack: