Evil Amazon

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Evil Amazon

Post by JimC » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 pm

They'll prise my Kindle from my cold dead hands... :lay:

(and the chances of that have gone up rather significantly since January... :tea: )
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Amazon has become a shithole. They've already kicked off 3,000+ sellers for price gouging, and I don't think they've scratched the surface. Besides price gouging it is now full of every asshole who's bought into the get rich online myth trying to sell crappy product at insane prices. You have to wade through so much crap the shopping experience is no longer worth it. Add to that the possibility that Amazon is engineering your experience (your attempt to "shop") and it's potentially much, much worse...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 pm

did not notice... then again, I'm normally never shopping for anything else than books or dvds
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 pm

Yeah, kindle is awesome. I don't buy the hard stuff from Amazon, but I've used them for many other things due to excellent shipping. But now they're flooded with sellers making it more like an Ebay. This is probably inescapable going forward as other retailers have joined the trend.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:22 pm

I still use them, but when I shop I usually know exactly what I'm looking for. I only buy Prime stuff fulfilled by Amazon. I'm also a fanatic researcher, I'll look for days for the right kind of varnish or stainless steel screws across many sites. Amazon usually has the best prices, but not always.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:42 pm

I've always suffered a bit from the fact that I tend to want relatively uncommon things. But lately I'm more frustrated by the volume of cheap shit being unloaded by too many people.

Everyone can go directly to China to have their label slapped on a product, and they are.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:52 pm

I'm buying very little in the way of "things" these days, apart from food and alcohol. I've got the weekend papers and NewScientist delivered, and I've got Evil Amazon to get me new Kindle content...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:57 am

In the past ten or so years I have made over 1000 online purchases from dozens of sites, but not a single one from Amazon. I do look at their offers. All too often the price of the product is attractive, but the delivery cost kills the deal. I'm not buying a DVD for $2.95 when the delivery charge is $25 or more. My guess is that Amazon took a cut from the purchase price, but not from the delivery charge, so sellers deflated the former and inflated the latter.

Also, after the Australian government insisted that every purchase made overseas must have the GST (10%) added on, Amazon refused to deliver to Australia for quite some time. I had no such problems with Ebay.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:49 am

I just bought a monitor cable on ebay for $6.75 that costs $49 at Jaycar. Jaycar's would be better quality, but sheesh.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:50 am

Cds/DVDs is the only thing I can buy from Finnish sellers. The shipping is a few euros. Books are too expensive to ship. And the on line seller of Finnish books is in Sweden. They still sell a lot of paperbacks at news stands and shops in Finland, not on line.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:30 am

Tero wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:50 am
Cds/DVDs is the only thing I can buy from Finnish sellers. The shipping is a few euros. Books are too expensive to ship. And the on line seller of Finnish books is in Sweden. They still sell a lot of paperbacks at news stands and shops in Finland, not on line.
https://www.betterworldbooks.com/ is an excellent source for OOP books, though it probably doesn't have a lot of Finnish titles. They are obviously mostly second hand, ex library etc. Prices are excellent and delivery inclusive.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:47 am

I use two companies for almost everything. One is called Cool Blue where I buy electronics and the other is Bol.com for the rest. Both are well known for the excellent working conditions they provide for their staff.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:59 am

I signed up to eBay for the first time this week. Almost as soon as I did so the seller withdrew the item I was interested in. So I deleted my account.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:02 am

We have a Dutch eBay here called "Marktplaats". Its reputation has sunk to 0 because of defrauders. I would not go near it.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:51 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:59 am
I signed up to eBay for the first time this week. Almost as soon as I did so the seller withdrew the item I was interested in. So I deleted my account.
visited ebay somewhat and bought a few things there, but that was two decades ago, when online payment did not pose me difficulties. must admit that the auction principle always bothered me.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping