The Trump Pandemic

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: The Trump Pandemic

Post by Seabass » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 am

"[W]e've done more testing than South Korea," the American president said this week. "Now, you're not going to read that in the newspapers because they don't like to write things like that. But I'd love you to say that one more time because that's a big number. We've done more than South Korea in a short period of time. We're doing more now than South Korea, by a lot."

At a briefing yesterday, Trump repeated the boast, adding that South Korean officials actually called the White House to say that U.S. testing procedures "are amazing."

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... d-n1169501
:fp:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:53 am

Trump/Congress stimulus vote problematic
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/extrem ... istory.amp
They don't want to be in the same room. And GOP congressman messing with them.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:40 am

Trump Spent Months Saying Everything Is Fine as U.S. Coronavirus Cases Skyrocketed
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm
What other world leaders do is the only way to measure what 'world leaders do'.
Good. That is the comparison you wish to do to get Trump off the hook for inaction. It won't fly.

Trump alone is responsible for making the US the Pandemic centre.
Are you willing to say he did a great job on anything?
Absolutely. Give me an example.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:46 am

Trump drug will kill more people
Concerned that the sudden interest in their use for coronavirus could cause fatal heart arrhythmias in a small percentage of what could become millions of users, Mayo Clinic on Wednesday, March 25, issued urgent guidance advising cardiac screening of all who take hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, malaria drugs touted by President Donald Trump and others as effective for the treatment and prevention of COVID-19.
"As you look on social media people were starting to use this medication," Ackerman said. "The reaction in the healthcare community ranged from total QT ignorance about this potential side effect, to sort of resignation that the side effect is friendly fire in this war against the coronavirus, to QT drug-induced cardiac arrest hysteria and paranoia. So we really felt we had to get out a message of an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure."

Clearing patients for safe use of chloroquine without countermeasures traditionally involves an ECG, a once-accessible intervention that has become perilous in the age of coronavirus. "The machine has to walk into the patient's room," says Ackerman, "being pushed by a technician who is using up personal protective equipment."

The new Mayo advisory instead directs clinicians to consider a host of risk factors predisposing patients to responding badly to chloroquine. With both types of diabetes, several heart conditions and advanced age all raising red flags, the list is anchored by many of the same factors believed to increase the likelihood of death from coronavirus.
https://www.postbulletin.com/life/healt ... CkmSOAtKA8

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Why do rightwing populist leaders oppose experts?

It is conventional wisdom that populists are against “elites” – and experts in particular. But rightwing populists aren’t opposed to all elites – they only denounce professionals who claim authority on the basis of special knowledge. Their perverse version of rightwing anti-authoritarianism implies that there is nothing wrong with the wealthy; in fact, the latter can be superior sources of wisdom. Trump putting the advice of “business leaders” above that of infectious disease experts is likely to yield deadly results. But it’s important to understand that the systematic denigration of professionalism started not with the populists – Reagan, Thatcher and other cheerleaders for neoliberalism led the way.

Populists are often criticized for being great simplifiers, when the world is in fact highly complex. For those who take Trump to be the paradigmatic populist of our day, it’s easy to conclude that populists are constantly lying and ushering in a “post-truth” era, in which falsehoods exclusively produced by the daily White House reality TV show are literally turning out to be deadly.

But this picture is itself simplistic. Populists are not by definition liars. They are only committed to one particular empirical falsehood: the notion that they, and only they, represent what populists often call “the real people” – with the implication that other politicians are not only corrupt and “crooked”, but traitors to the people, or, as Trump has often put it, “Un-American”.

More important, it’s not true that today’s rightwing populists are indiscriminately against all elites. They only denounce professionals. Trump supporters did not find it scandalous that his cabinet was full of Wall Street figures. The base does not resent the rich – rather, it aspires to be rich. In their eyes, the wealthy have earned their money, an objective indicator of their “hard work”, or the fact that they really produced something (never mind that the likes of Ross and Mnuchin have never created anything and only shifted money around).

These supposed movers and shakers contrast starkly with professionals who claim authority on the basis of education and special licensing – think lawyers, doctors and professors. Such figures can automatically be maligned by rightwing culture warriors as “condescending” – after all, they tell other people what to do, because they claim to know better. According to Nigel Farage, for instance, the World Health Organization is just another club of “clever people” who want to “bully us”.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... not-elites
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 pm

rainbow wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am
Cunt wrote:
Good. That is the comparison you wish to do to get Trump off the hook for inaction. It won't fly.

Can't think of a single one, eh? Must be that you have no interest in the mans work. Now what could make such a disinterested person fail to have his own example...hmm....? :cheers:
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Cunt wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 pm
rainbow wrote:
Cunt wrote:

Can't think of a single one, eh?
So you can't think of anything...
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:45 pm

rainbow wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:13 pm
Cunt wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 pm
rainbow wrote:
Cunt wrote:

Can't think of a single one, eh?
So you can't think of anything...
I can say positive things about him. Never had any trouble doing so.

There are plenty you could find, without my brilliant help, but the fact that you can't is making my point.

Look, seriously, you must know you have this bias...don't you?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:49 pm

HOUSE APPROVES FINAL CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS AFTER THWARTING LAST-MINUTE BLOCK BY REPUBLICAN THOMAS MASSIE

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Packed churches at Easter?

Sadly, the way, this is going, the churches will be packed with corpses because there will be nowhere else to put them

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 pm

What experts are saying that?

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Poldie's mother

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 pm

I read Italy lost 900 in a day this week, is it supposed to take this long to flatten the curve?

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:14 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 pm
I read Italy lost 900 in a day this week, is it supposed to take this long to flatten the curve?
The virus has several days incubation before you can even see it in a test. Then some more days before the symptoms become obvious so that people actually seek a test, then some days until the test is registered in statistics.

It's expected that after doing a shutdown, it takes more than two weeks before the first consistent slowing of new cases is observable.

A huge part of the people dying from the virus in a hospital die only after days or even one or two weeks of ICU treatments. So, it is expected that a slowing of the numbers of deaths every day will only be seen maybe four or five weeks after a shutdown.