The Coronavirus Thread

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 pm

I didn't know who he was until last week, but does a state governor have the power and authority to stop airlines selling tickets and filling flights? Do emergency powers give a governor that kind of power and authority that allows them to decide what businesses should operate?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am
JimC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Those older folk on the forum may remember the one hit wonder "My Sharona"
Surely some clever band somewhere has produced an altered cover, "My Corona"
Should be a really catchy song... :tea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrtwXqqc6g
:drunk:
For once:

:dance: :cheer: :tup: :clap: :td:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 pm
Galaxian wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am
JimC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Those older folk on the forum may remember the one hit wonder "My Sharona"
Surely some clever band somewhere has produced an altered cover, "My Corona"
Should be a really catchy song... :tea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrtwXqqc6g
:drunk:
For once:

:dance: :cheer: :tup: :clap: :td:
Not bad, but one quibble Jim. My Sharona wasn't a one hit wonder. The band had another couple of hits, and Sharona's in real estate now. :smoke:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 pm

laklak wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:03 pm
They're bringing in literally hundreds of flights a day from New York to Florida. Fuck him and fuck New York.
Why do you hate freedom?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:14 pm
Your depressing brand of street preaching is not only unhelpful but also quite destructive...
Glaxative affects me differently, Brian. It does not depress me. I find the rants of someone that much off the planet (metaphorically speaking, of course) impossible to take seriously enough to let it become depressing or destructive in any way. Unhelpful, yes, but it is entertaining despite also being rather repetitive.

One thing that helps to keep boredom at bay is Glaxative writing skill. He manages to avoid grammatical and typographical errors almost all the time, but that's just basic. More importantly, he tends to stay clear of clichés and platitudes. Best of all, his sentences are brief, clearly structured, and each of them flows easily to the next. Glaxative's post are a pleasure to read for those reasons.

Glaxative is totally bereft of a sense of humour, but that difference aside, his output resembles that of Aldous Huxley's early novels and some of his short stories. Just imagine what he could have achieved were he not so batshit crazy.

I wish I could write like either. Alas, having tried and failed for decades, the likelihood of eventually reaching that level of skill is practically zero.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 pm
The Coronavirus Is a Disaster for Feminism

Pandemics affect men and women differently.

Enough already. When people try to be cheerful about social distancing and working from home, noting that William Shakespeare and Isaac Newton did some of their best work while England was ravaged by the plague, there is an obvious response: Neither of them had child-care responsibilities.

Shakespeare spent most of his career in London, where the theaters were, while his family lived in Stratford-upon-Avon. During the plague of 1606, the playwright was lucky to be spared from the epidemic—his landlady died at the height of the outbreak—and his wife and two adult daughters stayed safely in the Warwickshire countryside. Newton, meanwhile, never married or had children. He saw out the Great Plague of 1665–6 on his family’s estate in the east of England, and spent most of his adult life as a fellow at Cambridge University, where his meals and housekeeping were provided by the college.

For those with caring responsibilities, an infectious-disease outbreak is unlikely to give them time to write King Lear or develop a theory of optics. A pandemic magnifies all existing inequalities (even as politicians insist this is not the time to talk about anything other than the immediate crisis). Working from home in a white-collar job is easier; employees with salaries and benefits will be better protected; self-isolation is less taxing in a spacious house than a cramped apartment. But one of the most striking effects of the coronavirus will be to send many couples back to the 1950s. Across the world, women’s independence will be a silent victim of the pandemic.
Cont.
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... to9XWlHQFU
The next time you leave this planet I'm going with you. Obviously we are at the point where the morons are in the majority, and taking over the government of many countries.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 pm

laklak wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 pm
Hermit wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am
So do I. He's good at cherry picking, isn't he? There are 33 countries with fewer guns/population and a higher suicide rate than the USA and 150 countries with fewer guns/population and a lower suicide rate. So he picks two from the former.
I like the gummint guy. I want a .30 caliber magazine clip that shoots 30 rounds in a half second.
That was definitely a laugh out loud moment, especially since he made that absurd claim twice in what seemed like half a second. That's 3600 rounds per minute. The M134D machine gun does 3000, but it needs six barrels to do it without melting in the process and an electric feeder to keep up with the speed the bullets are dispatched.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 pm

Cunt wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:17 pm
It really boils down to whether one thinks a human should be allowed to defend themselves against attack. (by crook or government, but I repeat myself)

The armed are citizens, the disarmed are subjects.
The problem with the second amendment is the frequency with which "a well regulated Militia" has overthrown democratic governments and replaced them with tyrannous ones.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:44 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 pm
Cunt wrote:
It really boils down to whether one thinks a human should be allowed to defend themselves against attack. (by crook or government, but I repeat myself)

The problem with the second amendment is the frequency with which "a well regulated Militia" has overthrown democratic governments and replaced them with tyrannous ones.
How fortunate, then, that people are free to defend themselves against militias as well.

Or burglars. Or those people who let their pet void on your lawns.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:06 am

...or people with different coloured skin...

...or that guy who looked at me funny...

...or that old woman who is possessed by the devil...

...or the people that the voices in my head tell me are evil monsters...
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 am

When would a patient go onto a ventilator?

Before deciding to put a patient onto a ventilator, Story says doctors are looking for signs of “respiratory failure”.

“The breathing rate will increase, they’ll look distressed, the CO2 in the blood goes up and they can become sedated and confused,” he says.

He says while a normal breathing rate is about 15 breaths a minute, if the rate gets to about 28 times a minute, then this is a signal that ventilation may be needed.

Before going on a mechanical ventilator, Prof John Wilson, president-elect of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and a respiratory physician, says there may be other attempts to increase a patient’s oxygen levels.

These “non-invasive” methods of ventilation can include masks and oxygen tanks.

How soon might a patient need a ventilator and for how long?
Ranganathan says once a doctor sees that a patient needs a ventilator, “it is required quickly”.

He says: “The patient can be sustained for short periods of time using manual forms of ventilation such as using a bag and mask system with oxygen, but usually being attached to a ventilator needs to happen within 30 minutes if critical.”

Story says that in severe Covid-19 patients, a life-threatening condition can develop called acute respiratory distress syndrome (Ards) that requires ventilators to deliver smaller volumes of oxygen and air, but at higher rates.

This could mean a patient may need to be on a ventilator “for weeks”.

To avoid complications from the breathing tube going down the throat, Story says a tracheostomy is carried out so the tube can go straight into the windpipe through the neck.

“Patients can be more awake with tracheostomy and the hole just heals itself,” says Story.

“If patients develop Ards they will be in an intensive care unit for weeks and they’ll die without ventilators.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:46 am

laklak wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:03 pm
No, it's a pussy ass motherfucker for a governor.
That's what Brian Peacock just said.

As for me, I'd use a different expression: Your governors (all of them) are the running dogs of capitalist pigs. None of this shit could have happened in China. They know how to isolate entire provinces if necessary. Eventually, anyway.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 am

Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, targets the lungs and can cause complications like pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Severe cases will require a ventilator to be able to deliver enough oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. Without one, the patient could die. A ventilator shortage, then, will mean some patients are denied lifesaving care. And, as has already happened in Italy, doctors may have to choose which patients get ventilators and therefore live and which ones don’t and die.

Depending on how far and how fast coronavirus spreads in the United States, the number of cases could overwhelm the country’s supply of hospital beds, medical professionals, and ventilators. According to the New York Times, there are about 170,000 ventilators in the US while the American Hospital Association estimates 960,000 people will need them over the course of the pandemic — which is why it’s best to do whatever we can to slow the spread of the virus so that not all patients all need ventilators at the same time.
https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/20/21 ... -elon-musk
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:57 am

Cunt wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:44 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 pm
Cunt wrote:

How fortunate, then, that people are free to defend themselves against militias as well.
So it's militia against militia? Fortunate for the people who are fighting in the winning one.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:19 am

Some scary possible futures for the US:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/ ... s/12093836
Indeed, on the very day the World Health Organisation warned America it could soon become the global epicentre of the pandemic, Mr Trump pushed for the US economy to be "opened up and raring to go" in just over two weeks.

"Our people are full of vim and vigour and energy," he told Fox News viewers.

"They don't want to be locked into a house or an apartment or some space. It's not for our country. We're not built that way."
Trump is tapping into what he believes his supporters want to hear. But then there is the other side of the coin:
More than 3 million Americans filed new unemployment claims last week.

That's nearly five times the highest level of claims seen during the global financial crisis of 2007.

As the world fixates on Wall Street's daily convulsions, the broader economy of the richest and most powerful nation on earth is crumbling before our eyes.
And the potential for armed craziness:
The instantaneous loss of income is frightening for anyone and especially so in a nation where around half of American families claim to be living paycheque to paycheque.

Mailing $4,000 cheques to millions of families and significantly boosting existing unemployment benefits is primarily aimed at staving off homelessness and hunger.

Anger too.

Standing in the corner of the Oval Office, there's an elephant armed with an AR-15.

The threat of a social unrest is very real in the minds of American policy makers and police chiefs.

An angry nation, heavily armed and cooped up through summer without income, is a dangerous proposition if there's any real sense of scarcity on the streets.

Look what happened in New Orleans in the days after Hurricane Katrina when a slow emergency response left thousands trapped with little food or water.
And my gin!