You've got great taste Joe.

:lol: Cunt

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Bullshit is useful

Post by Hermit » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 pm

Joe wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Is there really anything we can add to Harry Frankfort's seminal treatise on the topic?
Having read the essay quite some time ago, I can't remember much detail, but I remember Frankfurt's weird conception of bullshit. Frankfurt regards the truth value of a statement as irrelevant for the purposes of determining bullshit. To him the intent of whoever makes a statement is the distinguishing factor. According to him a statement like, say, "the sun orbits earth" is not bullshit, provided the person who utters it is sincere in that belief. In contrast "the earth orbits the sun" is bullshit if the person says so in order to deceive someone with that statement somehow. I call bullshit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 pm

I don't remember much of it either, but I believe this "scholarly" work proves PHD really does mean "piled higher and deeper." :dance:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 pm

It was one of the first things I downloaded to Kindle, probably as an attempt to make sense of the ample shit posted here. :biggrin:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 am

Joe wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Is there really anything we can add to Harry Frankfort's seminal treatise on the topic?
Read. Saved. Cheers :cheers:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Just to note that the aquarium cleaner that the intrepid home medical researchers ingested appears to be the same as the active ingredient in the medicine. The dosage is half a gram. Apparently they didn't properly meter their doses.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Can't fix stupid.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:00 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:18 pm
Can't fix stupid.
Media outlets tried to blame Trump for this (though Cuomo said pretty much the same thing) and endlessly out themselves as lying fucks, with political (as opposed to honest reporting) motivations.

Doesn't change how many people listen to CNN, ABC and FOX though...
laklak wrote:
Can't fix stupid.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:06 pm

So Trump's ignorant statements, speaking as President with all the influence that implies, should attract no blame whatsoever?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:09 pm

laklak wrote:
Can't fix stupid.
Nope. Half-clever can be even worse.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Cunt wrote:
laklak wrote:
Can't fix stupid.
Media outlets tried to blame Trump for this (though Cuomo said pretty much the same thing) and endlessly out themselves as lying fucks, with political (as opposed to honest reporting) motivations.

Doesn't change how many people listen to CNN, ABC and FOX though...
laklak wrote:
Can't fix stupid.
Some people seem obsessed with defending Trump, sometimes inflating or inventing criticism so they can spring to his aid - one-way traffic on a road to nowhere...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:06 pm
So Trump's ignorant statements, speaking as President with all the influence that implies, should attract no blame whatsoever?
It's not only that. Imagine all testing & tracking we could have done by now, and all the equipment and supplies our manufacturers could have produced for our hospitals, if he'd acted quickly instead of gaslighting and lying and pretending there was no problem. I think by the end of this he will have the blood of tens, maybe hundreds of thousands on his hands. We're about to blow by Italy and China within the next week or two.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:36 pm

JimC wrote:
That's a weird position for you to have. Even weirder if you are trying to attribute it to me.

Blame is very helpful, when it's aimed at ourselves.

I know I have a blind spot around the orange hobgoblin, but it's pretty easy when all the attacks against him look so ridiculous.

I blame myself for having too much sympathy for the wrongfully attacked. But I also remember that the people telling ugly truths are easily ruined by media. Look at the example of Tommy Robinson...lots of folks call him a monster, and maybe he is. The 'Home Office' though, did investigate some of what he was complaining about. They even promised that they would release it.

Did you read the report? I mean, I get that you can't give time to Tommy Robinson, but the Home Office report should be much more reasonable, and non-racist, right?

If you can't find it, my theory is that releasing it would 'Tommy Robinson' whoever in government was responsible for releasing it.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:09 pm
laklak wrote:
Can't fix stupid.
Nope. Half-clever can be even worse.

I had a programmer who would write these completely indecipherable recursive subroutines in Assembler that he'd call from a C shell out of COBOL Said they were "elegant" algorithms.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, save me from elegant algorithms.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm
JimC wrote:
It's not only that. Imagine all testing & tracking we could have done by now, and all the equipment and supplies our manufacturers could have produced for our hospitals, if he'd acted quickly instead of gaslighting and lying and pretending there was no problem. I think by the end of this he will have the blood of tens, maybe hundreds of thousands on his hands. We're about to blow by Italy and China within the next week or two.
You just invented a perfect solution in hindsight, irrespective of any practical considerations and possible complications at play at the time, and then proceeded to use this "magic solution" --which is how we must think of it at this time-- as the basis for blaming Trump for killing possibly hundreds of thousands of people.