UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Tory (n.)

1566, "an outlaw," specifically "one of a class of Irish robbers noted for outrages and savage cruelty," from Irish toruighe "plunderer," originally "pursuer, searcher," from Old Irish toirighim "I pursue," from toir "pursuit," from Celtic *to-wo-ret- "a running up to," from PIE root *ret- "to run, roll" (see rotary).

About 1646, it emerged as a derogatory term for Irish Catholics dispossessed of their land (some of whom subsequently turned to outlawry); c. 1680 applied by Exclusioners to supporters of the Catholic Duke of York (later James II) in his succession to the throne of England. After 1689, Tory was the name of a British political party at first composed of Yorkist Tories of 1680. Superseded c. 1830 by Conservative, though it continues to be used colloquially. As an adjective from 1680s. In American history, Tory was the name given after 1769 to colonists who remained loyal to the crown; it represents their relative position in the pre-revolutionary English political order in the colonies.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:23 pm
Tory (n.)

1566, "an outlaw," specifically "one of a class of Irish robbers noted for outrages and savage cruelty," from Irish toruighe "plunderer," originally "pursuer, searcher," from Old Irish toirighim "I pursue," from toir "pursuit," from Celtic *to-wo-ret- "a running up to," from PIE root *ret- "to run, roll" (see rotary).

About 1646, it emerged as a derogatory term for Irish Catholics dispossessed of their land (some of whom subsequently turned to outlawry); c. 1680 applied by Exclusioners to supporters of the Catholic Duke of York (later James II) in his succession to the throne of England. After 1689, Tory was the name of a British political party at first composed of Yorkist Tories of 1680. Superseded c. 1830 by Conservative, though it continues to be used colloquially. As an adjective from 1680s. In American history, Tory was the name given after 1769 to colonists who remained loyal to the crown; it represents their relative position in the pre-revolutionary English political order in the colonies.
I thought it was a shortening of ConservaTory - those naff glass extensions the Poms put on their houses.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 am

How is the lie factory doing this election:

How accurate were Johnson's Andrew Marr interview claims?
Among PM’s claims was that he is planning largest NHS funding rise ‘in modern memory’

Boris Johnson defended his record during a major setpiece interview with Andrew Marr on the BBC while laying out his election pitch and attacking Labour. But how accurate were his assertions?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:16 am

BBC's Andrew Neil lays down gauntlet to Boris Johnson over interview
Presenter issues challenge to prime minister, saying matter is ‘question of trust’

Andrew Neil has laid down the gauntlet to Boris Johnson by challenging him to the BBC interview he has so far refused to commit to, saying it was “a question of trust” for the prime minister.

Gazing directly down the camera to an audience of millions, Neil said Johnson was the only leader of a main party not to have faced a prime-time grilling by him.

“We have been asking him for weeks now to give us a date, a time, a venue. As of now, none has been forthcoming,” he said. “It is not too late. We have an interview prepared, oven-ready as Mr Johnson likes to say.

“The theme running through our questions is trust, and why at so many times in his career in politics and journalism, critics and sometimes even those close to him have deemed him to be untrustworthy.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:31 am

I reckon he's waiting for the postal vote cut-off. A lot of, erm, more mature voters vote by post. Once they can't change their minds after next Monday we'll probably find Johnson is suddenly available.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:53 am

The 51st state is approaching?

Patient data from GP surgeries sold to US companies
Dealings with international pharma raise new fears about American ambitions to access NHS

Data about millions of NHS patients has been sold to US and other international pharmaceutical companies for research, the Observer has learned, raising new fears about America’s growing ambitions to access lucrative parts of the health service after Brexit.

US drugs giants, including Merck, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Eli Lilly, have paid the Department of Health and Social Care, which holds data derived from GPs’ surgeries, for licences costing up to £330,000 each in return for anonymised data to be used for research.

Campaigners working to protect the privacy of patients’ medical histories said they were concerned at the lack of transparency that surrounded the sale of licences and a lack of clarity about what the data was being used for.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:31 am
I reckon he's waiting for the postal vote cut-off. A lot of, erm, more mature voters vote by post. Once they can't change their minds after next Monday we'll probably find Johnson is suddenly available.
BoJo is hoping that prejudice will trump facts. :prof: Therefore no debate is necessary as far as he is concerned. :prof:
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:18 am

Major parties have always depended on that when in power. One of the major problems of a two party system.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:22 pm

The Evening Standard joyfully announces that Labour made a huge four-point gain from 30 to 36 per cent between December 2 and 5. Whoop de doo. A few lines below, the article mentions that the Tories are polling at 42 and the Lib-Dems at 11%. So, between the two of them they have a clear majority. Everybody remembers what happened last time those two parties formed a coalition government, right?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Remember that is the "popular vote" and does not include gerrymandering which is rife in the UK plus the rest of course.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:37 am

Hermit wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:22 pm
The Evening Standard joyfully announces that Labour made a huge four-point gain from 30 to 36 per cent between December 2 and 5. Whoop de doo. A few lines below, the article mentions that the Tories are polling at 42 and the Lib-Dems at 11%. So, between the two of them they have a clear majority. Everybody remembers what happened last time those two parties formed a coalition government, right?
Corporal Clegg had a wooden leg.
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:09 am

Party funding:

The Tory party is so dependent on big money it now represents only a tiny elite
Smaller donors have retreated – and ultra-rich, pro-Brexiters have stepped in

In the first fortnight of the election campaign, the Tories broke the record for the most money raised in a British election. The Electoral Commission’s latest data on donations shows the Conservatives consolidating their lead in the money stakes.
Since the start of November, large donors – those who give more than £7,500 – have contributed at least £12m to Tory party coffers. No other party comes close.

Money matters in politics, particularly during general elections. Running a campaign is a costly business. When it comes to political funding, Britain sits somewhere between the United States and Europe. Unlike in many European states, parties, and even individual politicians, largely finance themselves through private donations. Unlike in the US, the amount of money in British politics is pretty meagre. The 2018 US midterm elections were estimated to have cost almost $6bn. In Britain, almost anyone with £50,000 burning a hole in their back pocket can join the Conservative Leader’s Group and have dinner with the prime minister.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Less we forget...

Frank Zappa

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:30 pm

I feel a little sick. I want to vote Green tomorrow. But I've crunched the numbers, looked at the local campaigns, plausible swings and vote splits, and there's a very small but non-zero possibility that if I don't vote for our Blairite long standing Labour MP, my vote could count to tip the balance in favour of a Johnson Tory bastards majority.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]