UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 am

Here we go the fake-news war:

Conservatives post misleading edited video to suggest Labour’s shadow Brexit secretary can’t answer question
Clip doctored to give false impression that Keir Starmer was lost for words over Labour’s Brexit policy
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 pm

I came across this example of Boris and his gang taking a page from the US Republican playbook.

'The real voter fraud is this government’s new ID plan'
What do you do when a government proposes a policy solution to a “crisis” that doesn’t exist? On Monday, the Queen announced the “electoral integrity bill”, which would require voters to show an approved photo ID before they vote in local and general elections, in order to address concerns about electoral fraud.

The only problem is, electoral fraud in this country – particularly voter impersonation – barely exists. And more importantly, it’s negligible compared with the number of voters who will be turned away by imposing mandatory ID requirements at the ballot box.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 pm

People seem to have issues with Corbyn:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-08/ ... s/11684716
Two former Labour MPs have urged voters not to support UK Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn in the upcoming general election.

Ian Austin, a former junior minister who quit Labour last February over its failure to tackle anti-Semitism in the party, said Mr Corbyn was "unfit" to lead the country.

"I can't really believe it's come to this but I think I need to tell people that Jeremy Corbyn isn't fit to lead the Labour Party," Mr Austin, a long-term critic of Mr Corbyn, told Sky News.

"He's certainly not fit to lead the country."
Mr Austin instead urged voters to back the Conservative Party and its leader Boris Johnson.

"The country faces a big choice and there's only two people who can become prime minister on December 13 and I've come to the conclusion it can't be Jeremy Corbyn, so it has to be Boris Johnson," he said.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:12 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 pm
I came across this example of Boris and his gang taking a page from the US Republican playbook.

What do you do when a government proposes a policy solution to a “crisis” that doesn’t exist? On Monday, the Queen announced the “electoral integrity bill”, which would require voters to show an approved photo ID before they vote in local and general elections, in order to address concerns about electoral fraud.

The only problem is, electoral fraud in this country – particularly voter impersonation – barely exists. And more importantly, it’s negligible compared with the number of voters who will be turned away by imposing mandatory ID requirements at the ballot box.
Voter suppression and gerrymandering is good American style. Who can even afford to get ID photos in someparts of the UK? Are social services going to pay?

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 pm

Two former Labour MPs have urged voters not to support UK Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn in the upcoming general election.

Ian Austin, a former junior minister who quit Labour last February over its failure to tackle anti-Semitism in the party, said Mr Corbyn was "unfit" to lead the country.

"I can't really believe it's come to this but I think I need to tell people that Jeremy Corbyn isn't fit to lead the Labour Party," Mr Austin, a long-term critic of Mr Corbyn, told Sky News.

Mr Austin instead urged voters to back the Conservative Party and its leader Boris Johnson.

"The country faces a big choice and there's only two people who can become prime minister on December 13 and I've come to the conclusion it can't be Jeremy Corbyn, so it has to be Boris Johnson," he said.
Some people do but most of the ones who appear prominently in the media, like Ian Austin, seem to be harbouring their own personal political grudges against him. It never seems to be genuinely based on policy or principle, or at least not the policies or principles that they claim it's about.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:05 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 pm

The suggestion to use a ‘photo ID’ (e.g. a passport or driving licence) to enable one to vote will disenfranchise those who, for instance, do not drive or do not travel outside the UK. This will also disenfranchise many who live in poorer circumstances - which might be the real reason for this suggestion. Unless, of course, the ‘Photo ID’ is made mandatory and is issued free by the state to everyone of voting age…
Now, where have I heard that idea before... :ask:

Edit. And what about the postal voters - will they have to stick a 'passport' photo to their form? Which will be silly since there can be no verification.
Last edited by Alan B on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 pm

well, after a looong time of imposing a stamp duty on ID papers, the French government decided to make the ID card free, though a passport still costs 85 €. ID is not automatically issued, you have to voluntarily go out of your way to prepare an application, which can be a grueling process if you don't have all the proper papers.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 pm
well, after a looong time of imposing a stamp duty on ID papers, the French government decided to make the ID card free, though a passport still costs 85 €. ID is not automatically issued, you have to voluntarily go out of your way to prepare an application, which can be a grueling process if you don't have all the proper papers.
Cheap.

BTW have you ever noticed there is no official position of the € sign in prices? We put in the front.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:34 am

How convenient:

Fury as decision on police inquiry into PM shelved until after election
Labour ‘shocked’ as police watchdog freezes investigation into Jennifer Arcuri scandal

The scandal over Boris Johnson’s friendship with technology entrepreneur Jennifer Arcuri was reignited on Saturday after the Observer revealed that the independent police watchdog has delayed its announcement on whether the PM should face an investigation into possible criminal misconduct until after the election.

The decision prompted fury from Westminster politicians and London assembly members who said it appeared that a ruling had been “suppressed” in order to protect Johnson from potentially damaging headlines at a crucial stage of the election campaign.

In a private meeting held before parliament was dissolved last week, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) officials agreed not to announce whether they were going to investigate “possible criminality” over allegations about a conflict of interest in Johnson’s dealings while mayor of London with US businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri until after the election.
No corruption?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm
JimC wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 pm

Some people do but most of the ones who appear prominently in the media, like Ian Austin, seem to be harbouring their own personal political grudges against him. It never seems to be genuinely based on policy or principle, or at least not the policies or principles that they claim it's about.
Ian Austin is a class traitor. ✊
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am

The green movement must challenge capitalism, not individuals

Grace Blakeley, 8 Nov 2019

It is a law of snap general elections that they are dominated by issues other than those they are called to resolve. In February 1974, Conservative prime minister Ted Heath called a snap contest to ask the country to determine “who governs?”, before losing 37 seats in response to Labour’s promise of “a fundamental and irreversible shift in the balance of power and wealth in favour of working people and their families”. Later that year, having been replaced as prime minister by Harold Wilson, Heath again failed to win a majority at the October 1974 election. In 2017, Theresa May called an election to shore up support for her Brexit position only to find the contest dominated by the impact of seven years of austerity.

Boris Johnson has been bullish about his party’s electoral prospects ever since his ascension to No 10 earlier this year. But behind the confident rhetoric, the events of 2017 are likely haunting the minds of Johnson and his senior adviser Dominic Cummings. The government has called a Brexit snap election, but will the campaign end up being dominated by Brexit?

The Conservatives are right to be worried. People are frustrated by the lack of progress on Brexit, but more than this, they are simply sick of talking about it. Before the campaign has even started, the issues that are dominating the headlines are those on which the Conservatives are weakest: the economy, public services, and the environment.

This last issue is of particular concern to the Tories, who know that they are at risk of losing the youth vote due to their inaction on the climate. According to a recent survey conducted by Client Earth and Opinium, 74 per cent of young people say climate breakdown will influence the way they vote at the election, and 72 per cent say politicians aren’t doing enough to tackle the issue. Perhaps most strikingly, 63 per cent of people surveyed, both young and old, are in favour of a “Green New Deal” with “large-scale, long-term investment in green jobs and infrastructure”...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... ndividuals

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Greenpeace are running a petition calling for the leaders of the main parties to have a climate and environment debate.

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/s ... REPEEM01DB

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Who listens to Greenpeace? I knew a girl who worked in their HQ. You dont know what happened there. I have no respect for Greenpeace, none what so ever.