Republicans: continued

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Tero » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:44 pm

North Carolina:
Mark Harris: toilets

"North Carolina Marine Corps vet to put country over party and lower healthcare and prescription drug costs, cut middle class taxes, and strengthen public schools. It's a no brainer. The other guy is more fixated on bathrooms. #VoteMcCready #NorthCarolina #McCreadyforNC2

Earlier:
Though McCready initially conceded, the North Carolina Democratic Party gathered sufficient evidence of a “ballot harvesting” scheme organized by a Harris operative. Absentee ballots were collected from areas that were presumed to lean Democratic, but they were never turned in.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:26 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:14 am
All cork production is in Russian hands.
They own Portugal now?
All the cork trees.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:56 pm

I suspect that the crazed Senator really meant getting rid of all liberal arts courses. Even he would see that even a rigid theocracy needs (male) engineers... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 pm

that's not what he said, then again, he's a repugnican, so he can't string up 2 words to make a meaningful sentence, old Abe was one in a million.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:16 am

An article about the notable trend in the US Republican party to discard or ignore democratic principles when denied power.

'Not just in North Carolina: Republican lawmakers across the country rebel against democracy'
A change is coming in 2020. Gerrymandered maps are being struck down by courts across the country, and the 2018 midterm elections point to massive turnout in the next election. Republicans, clearly running scared, are preparing for the course correction by breaking, bending and reshaping the rules in an obvious attempt to make a mockery of the democratic process.

From Oregon to North Carolina, GOP lawmakers have used every dirty trick they can to seize power and undermine the power Democrats even after they win elections. They have taken Grover Norquist’s goal — to turn the tone in state capitals toward bitterness and partisanship — to heart in a major way.

“Our goal is to inflict pain. It is not enough to win. It has to be a painful, devastating defeat. Like when the king would take his opponent's head and spike it on a pole for everyone to see,” Norquist infamously said in the National Review. Except for the shock election of Donald Trump to the presidency, however, Republicans haven’t had the best record of winning of late. Based on their behavior while losing, it seems that the revised Republican goal goes beyond pain to utter destruction.

[North Carolina] Republicans had promised Democrats they would hold no substantive votes during the 9/11 ceremony, with the GOP rules chair confirming to reporter Laura Leslie that there would be no vote. House Speaker Tim Moore admitted he held the vote to override Cooper’s veto — while many Democrats were absent — simply because the opportunity to break the Democrats’ firewall presented itself.

“This is a travesty of the process and you know it,” Democratic state Rep. Deb Butler complained on the House floor, as the GOP Speaker repeatedly tried cutting her mike. She kept switching mikes and turning them back on. “The trickery that is being evidenced this morning is tantamount to a criminal offense.”

David Frum told us years ago that if conservatives can’t win at the ballot box, they won’t abandon conservatism — they will abandon democracy. Their calls for civility are actually demands for servility. Democrats must understand that, and fight back, before it is too late.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am

Once we get rid of Trump we need to impeach penis waggler Kavanaugh. Because he lied
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1173082235475550213

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 am

Tero wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am
penis waggler Kavanaugh.
😆
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:15 pm

NRA Was 'Foreign Asset' To Russia Ahead of 2016, New Senate Report Reveals
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/76487924 ... rt-reveals
The National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia in the period leading up to the 2016 election, according to a new investigation unveiled Friday by Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

Drawing on contemporaneous emails and private interviews, an 18-month probe by the Senate Finance Committee's Democratic staff found that the NRA underwrote political access for Russian nationals Maria Butina and Alexander Torshin more than previously known — even though the two had declared their ties to the Kremlin.

The report, available here, also describes how closely the gun rights group was involved with organizing a 2015 visit by some of its leaders to Moscow.

Then-NRA vice president Pete Brownell, who would later become NRA president, was enticed to visit Russia with the promise of personal business opportunities — and the NRA covered a portion of the trip's costs.

The conclusions of the Senate investigation could have legal implications for the NRA, Wyden says.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:34 pm

STOP PRESS: Gun runners in bed with the Mafia. Pictures at nine-fifteen.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Poor NRA, how do you solve a problem like Maria?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:15 pm

A trick to play on your Republican parents
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... AR0KAE5Vfg

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Republican senators: 'No, u!'

Senator Grassley has been maundering about supposed Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election to help Clinton for a couple of years. He decided that now would be a good time to run it back up the flagpole and see if he can get some action.

'Grassley, Johnson Renew Inquiry into DOJ Actions on Reported Election Meddling'
Two Senate chairmen want to know whether the Justice Department has acquired information from Ukrainian prosecutors that may contradict the stated reasoning behind former Vice President Joe Biden’s threat to withhold U.S. assistance from Ukraine. They are also renewing an inquiry into the department’s response to reported efforts by Ukrainians, in coordination with Democratic Party associates, to acquire damaging information on Donald Trump during his 2016 presidential campaign.

We write to follow up on Senator Grassley’s July 20, 2017 letter, which highlighted brazen efforts by the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton campaign to use the government of Ukraine for the express purpose of finding negative information on then-candidate Trump in order to undermine his campaign. That letter also highlighted news reports that, during the 2016 presidential election, “Ukrainian government officials tried to help Hillary Clinton and undermine Trump” and did so by “disseminat[ing] documents implicating a top Trump aide in corruption and suggest[ing] they were investigating the matter[.]” Ukrainian officials also reportedly “helped Clinton’s allies research damaging information on Trump and his advisers.”

At the center of this plan was Alexandra Chalupa, described by reports as a Ukrainian-American operative “who was consulting for the Democratic National Committee” and who reportedly met with Ukrainian officials during the presidential election for the express purpose of exposing alleged ties between then-candidate Donald Trump, Paul Manafort, and Russia. Politico also reported on a Financial Times story that quoted a Ukrainian legislator, Serhiy Leschenko, as saying that Trump’s candidacy caused “Kiev’s wider political leadership to do something they would never have attempted before: intervene, however indirectly, in a U.S. election.”

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Another premature post-mortem on the Republican party. There isn't going to be a 'new' party; I think it'll carry on just fine as the party of the right-wing nut-job Fox News/One America rube voter. Trump has given them a voice, and they're not going to change their prejudices and their myopic perspective. Money will continue to flow to the party from the fat cats snickering up their sleeves as they reap the benefits. This has been decades in the building.

'The Demise of the Republican Party'
Under Abraham Lincoln and during Reconstruction, the Republican Party was the party of ending slavery and promoting racial equality. It was the party of responsible government regulation of capitalism in the public interest underthe administration of Theodore Roosevelt. Under Theodore Roosevelt and even Richard Nixon, the Republican party encouraged responsible environmental and consumer legislation to protect the American people. It was the party of a strong military and promoted national security during the Cold War under Dwight D. Eisenhower and Richard Nixon. It was the party of responsible international alliances and treaties in the years since the Second World War under all Republican Presidents from Eisenhower to George W. Bush.

The Republican Party was far from perfect and at times it contradicted these principles. It encouraged monopoly capitalism in the Gilded Age, the 1920s, and has once again since Ronald Regan. It has ignored and sometimes encouraged racism and nativism. Richard Nixon employed the “Southern Strategy” and the Watergate tapes recordings demonstrated his anti Semitism and racism. Ronald Reagan allowed the “Religious Right’ to have an undue influence in the 1980s. The Republican Party today pushes to end the enforcement of the Voting Rights Act, promotes mass incarceration and tough mandatory minimums, and continues the injustice it has done to racial minorities and the poor. Massive evidence of government corruption under Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan previously undermined Republican credibility with the Watergate and Iran-Contra scandals, respectively. Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush engineered massive tax cuts, harming the middle class and the poor, and created a new Gilded Age similar to the late 19th century.

The Republican Party is dead as we knew it, and the question is this: will anyone in that party finally lead a decisive challenge to the abuse of power going on, which threatens the nation and the world at large, or will a new political party emerge, as the Republicans did in the crisis of the 1850s, when they replaced the Whig Party?

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:59 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:49 pm
Another premature post-mortem on the Republican party. There isn't going to be a 'new' party; I think it'll carry on just fine as the party of the right-wing nut-job Fox News/One America rube voter. Trump has given them a voice, and they're not going to change their prejudices and their myopic perspective. Money will continue to flow to the party from the fat cats snickering up their sleeves as they reap the benefits. This has been decades in the building.
Yep. There's no cure for stupid.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:59 pm

An example:

'Poll: Only 4 in 10 Republicans think Trump mentioned Biden on Ukraine call even though he acknowledged doing so'
A new poll shows that only four in 10 Republicans believe President Donald Trump talked to the Ukrainian president about investigating political rival Joe Biden, even though Trump has acknowledged doing so.

That compares with 85% of Democrats and 61% of independents surveyed by Monmouth University Poll who said Trump "probably did" mention the possibility of an investigation into the Biden family during a July phone call with Volodymyr Zelensky.

"This seems to be another example of partisan tribalism at work in public opinion,” said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute.

The national survey was conducted Sept. 23-29, as the Ukraine story evolved.

Trump has repeatedly, without evidence, claimed that Biden as vice president tried to stop an investigation into a Ukrainian energy company where his son Hunter served on the board of directors.

Trump directly acknowledged on Sept. 22 that he spoke with Zelensky about Biden, four days before the White House released a summary of the call. According to that reconstruction of the conversation, Trump told Zelensky there was "a lot of talk" about Biden's son's activities in Ukraine and that he was directing his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani and Attorney General William Barr to assist in the inquiry “to get to the bottom of it.”

"A lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the attorney general would be great,” Trump said.

More than six in ten of all adults surveyed by Monmouth said it is not appropriate for a U.S. president to make the type of request of a foreign leader that Trump did. But only three in ten Republicans agreed with that statement.