Thank you Russia

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Thank you Russia

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 am

Much of the economic gain has gone to paying down enormous debt and attempting to restructure the economy to be less dependent upon oil and gas. That the rich get richer is a fact of life in all our societies.

The problem with saying they are run by the mob is that the mob doesn't reinvest in the country, it bleeds it. This is a common theme among tyrants the world over.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:57 am

You're sounding like 42. All societies see more wealth to the top, therefore Russia's stupendous wealth inequality is "nothing to see"? C'mon, you can do better than that.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:01 am

"Nothing to see" and not being run by the mob are two different things. If you wish to simply say that inequality in Russia is enormous, fine.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:02 am

GDP Growth Rate in Russia averaged 0.72 percent from 1995 until 2019,
https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/gdp-growth

That's what you call a remarkable recovery? :ask:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:09 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 am
Oil and gas profits that have been invested into the country eg some used to pay off enormous debt. But don't let inconvenient facts interfere with your portrayal of the man as a tyrant. :tea:
Is economic success the be all and end all of political virtue? The criticisms of Putin that I alluded to can be correct even if the Russian economy has improved.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:11 am

The guy is a dictator. Russia is run by a few large oligarchs. Not sure where Sean gets his info.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:17 am

I'm not sure why you think that's damning.

--from your link:

Look at shortly after 2008! Jesus, do you remember that? :lol: Supposedly they have paid off so much debt and put away so much money that they can take a hit like that better today than back then. That's more than a lot of countries can say right?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:18 am

0.72% isn't a remarkable recovery. Seriously, man.
Last edited by pErvinalia on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:18 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:09 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Oil and gas profits that have been invested into the country eg some used to pay off enormous debt. But don't let inconvenient facts interfere with your portrayal of the man as a tyrant. :tea:
Is economic success the be all and end all of political virtue? The criticisms of Putin that I alluded to can be correct even if the Russian economy has improved.
Economic success? It's the reinvestment in the country that is a problem for you. The investment has not always been successful btw.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:28 am

Are we looking at the same graph?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 am

It's a direct quote from the link.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:18 am
JimC wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:09 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Economic success? It's the reinvestment in the country that is a problem for you. The investment has not always been successful btw.
No, the problem for me is all the non-economic factors, which you haven't addressed at all...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Look at the graph again pErv and see if you can't put a positive spin on it. Look at the growth prior to the 2008 crash which hit everyone, and then look at the recovery after the crash. Now consider the sanctions Russia is working with in addition to its dependence on oil and gas prices. That's one tough fucker eh? Especially when you consider how hopeless the situation seemed in the 90s. BTW I hadn't even considered GDP. I was thinking more of Putin's grabbing the oil and gas industries, reducing debt, and spending to change the economy to rely less on oil prices.

--//--

No Jim, I have addressed them, partially at least, and as usual it was quickly dismissed as whataboutism. But Putin hasn't acted in a vacuum. The point here is to hopefully get people to stop talking about all our foes as though they were necessarily driven by some inexplicable and ultimately evil irrationality. A major problem for those who adopt this position is Putin's investment in Russia.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 am

May as well make this the what's going on in Russia thread. :biggrin: Good luck finding multiple points of view. :cheers:
The Kremlin’s foes got on the same page for an election. Can they stay there?
Navalny had pursued a strategy of “smart voting,” supporting the one candidate in each district who stood the best chance of beating the Kremlin’s surrogate. That put liberals like Navalny — who once played the nationalist card but has dropped it in recent years — on the same side as the Communist Party, and it put 13 Communists on the city council in contrast with four liberals. The other three opposition winners were from a party called Just Russia, which is ideologically closer to the Communists than anyone else.

“In any case this is a fantastic result of smart voting, and we’ve been struggling for this result all together. Thank you all for your participation,” Navalny wrote on Twitter.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 am

Bolton’s resignation may improve chances for New START extension — Russian MP
"The hope that the New START Treaty will be extended is alive as long as it is in force, i.e. till February 2021. And [after Bolton’s resignation] chances that the agreements could be reached in time and quite smoothly are at least in place or may even improve," Konstantin Kosachev, chairman of the International Affairs Committee of Russia’s Federation Council upper parliament house, told TASS.
https://tass.com/politics/1077573

It's almost like Russia's the reasonable one. :tea: