Yet more problematic stuff

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am

Two hours.... and 20 years!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:10 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am
Two hours.... and 20 years!
Should be two hours and 120 years to maintain arithmetic proportionality.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:32 am

:hehe:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm

In today's "racism is very unpopular in America" news:

Feds Arrest Neo-Nazi Trump Fan for Threatening to "Exterminate" Miami Hispanics
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/neo- ... s-11247579

Video: California High-School Students Sang Nazi Song and Gave Hitler Salute
https://www.thedailybeast.com/pacifica- ... ler-salute
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Is it at least slightly encouraging that in many of the stories you quote, Seabass, an arrest has occurred?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Encouraged that the cops are doing their job? Not terribly. I'll feel more encouraged when this racism renaissance that we're having begins to wane...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:45 pm

I did say slightly... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:38 pm

In today's "racism is very unpopular in America" and "the Republican party isn't racist" news:
The Secret Files of the Master of Modern Republican Gerrymandering

Thomas Hofeller preached secrecy as he remapped American politics from the shadows. The Republican Party operative, known as the master of the modern gerrymander, trained other G.O.P. operatives and legislators nationwide to secure their computer networks, guard access to their maps, and never send e-mails that they didn’t want to see published by the news media. In training sessions for state legislators and junior line drawers, he used a PowerPoint presentation that urged them to “avoid recklessness” and “always be discreet,” and warned that “emails are the tool of the devil.”

Hofeller did not follow his own advice. Before his death, in August, 2018, he saved at least seventy thousand files and several years of e-mails. A review of those records and e-mails—which were recently obtained first by The New Yorker—raises new questions about whether Hofeller unconstitutionally used race data to draw North Carolina’s congressional districts, in 2016. They also suggest that Hofeller was deeply involved in G.O.P. mapmaking nationwide, and include new trails for more potential lawsuits challenging Hofeller’s work, similar to the one on Wednesday which led to the overturning of his state legislative maps in North Carolina.

Hofeller’s files include dozens of intensely detailed studies of North Carolina college students, broken down by race and cross-referenced against the state driver’s-license files to determine whether these students likely possessed the proper I.D. to vote. The studies are dated 2014 and 2015, the years before Hofeller helped Republicans in the state redraw its congressional districts in ways that voting-rights groups said discriminated on the basis of race. North Carolina Republicans said that the maps discriminated based on partisanship but not race. Hofeller’s hard drive also retained a map of North Carolina’s 2017 state judicial gerrymander, with an overlay of the black voting-age population by district, suggesting that these maps—which are currently at the center of a protracted legal battle—might also be a racial gerrymander.

Other files provide new details about Hofeller’s work for Republicans across the country. Hofeller collected data on the citizen voting-age population in North Carolina, Texas, and Arizona, among other states, as far back as 2011. Hofeller was part of a Republican effort to add a citizenship question to the census, which would have allowed political parties to obtain more precise citizenship data ahead of the 2020 redistricting cycle. State legislative lines could then have been drawn based on the number of citizen voters, which Hofeller believed would make it easier to pack Democrats and minorities into fewer districts, giving an advantage to Republicans.

Other documents show that Hofeller was hired by a Massachusetts Republican who sought to use the Voting Rights Act provision for majority/minority seats to draw a single district containing all of Boston, so that Republicans could make inroads into an otherwise entirely Democratic congressional delegation. Hofeller drew several sets of maps, but the effort went nowhere. Additional files document his work in Mississippi, Alabama, and Virginia, among other states.

E-mails also connect Hofeller to redistricting efforts in Florida. Top Republican officials in the state have denied that they played any official role in drawing the state’s legislative and congressional districts in 2011. A 2010 state constitutional amendment barred partisan gerrymandering in Florida. E-mails show that Hofeller communicated with and visited top G.O.P. political operatives in Florida in 2011. The operatives helped organize or draw state legislative and congressional maps that matched the districts that were later enacted. The operatives insisted, at a trial, that drawing the maps was only a hobby. A Florida judge found that argument unconvincing, concluding that the G.O.P. conducted a stealth redistricting operation that snuck partisan maps into the public process and made a “mockery” of the state’s constitutional amendments.

The files mostly pertain to Hofeller’s work in North Carolina, where he drew—and defended in court—the state’s legislative and congressional maps multiple times, after judges ruled them to be either unconstitutionally partisan or racial gerrymanders. The congressional lines that he helped draw in 2016 were struck down by a federal court as a partisan gerrymander; that decision was vacated this past June, in a 5–4 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Perhaps one of the clearest and ugliest gerrymanders in North Carolina—or in the entire nation—is the congressional-district line that cuts in half the nation’s largest historically black college, North Carolina A&T State University, in Greensboro. The district line divided this majority minority campus—and the city—so precisely that it all but guarantees it will be represented in Congress by two Republicans for years to come. North Carolina Republicans have long denied that this line, between the state’s Sixth and Thirteenth Congressional Districts, was intentionally drawn to dilute black voting power, which would be a violation of the constitutional prohibition against racial gerrymandering.

Hofeller’s files, though, show that he created giant databases that detailed the racial makeup, voting patterns, and residence halls of more than a thousand North Carolina A&T students. He also collected similar data that tracked the race, voting patterns, and addresses of tens of thousands of other North Carolina college students. Some spreadsheets have more than fifty different fields with precise racial, gender, and geographic details on thousands of college voters.

...full article: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ymandering

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Racism is an underlying theme here, but the heart of the matter with gerrymandering is always a power grab.

Somewhat of a preemptive strike by the The New Yorker. The Republican side has been trying to get those files sealed or destroyed.

'GOP Lawyers Pushing to Destroy Late Gerrymandering Guru’s Secret Files'
Kathay Feng, the national redistricting director for Common Cause North Carolina, said in an interview with The New York Times that “the Hofeller files are important because they’re the only thing that will allow the American people to know the truth behind the efforts to rig redistricting and elections,” she added. “They have to be made public.”

Lawyer Dalton L. Oldham, who was a consultancy partner with Hofeller, argued that Hofeller’s information was covered by lawyer-client privilege because it contained trade secrets and confidential work for clients like the Republican National Committee. A brief submitted by Oldham stated that “disclosure of these documents would reveal a major political party’s internal, proprietary and highly confidential communications and strategy.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:36 am

You might as well say that HR in the Cosa Nostra is also subject to client privilege and commercial confidentiality. But hey, there's nothing illegal about drawing boundaries to ensure you get more votes than anyone else. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm

What's new? That's American politics.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Returning to an evergreen theme in this thread--the relentless attack on free speech in academia. It's political correctness gone mad. ;)

'BREAKING: Dean of students resigns after pictures of past tweets surface'
Jamie R. Riley, the University of Alabama’s assistant vice president and dean of students, resigned from his position on Thursday after less than seven months on the job, UA officials confirmed.

His resignation comes a day after Breitbart News published an article detailing images of past tweets from Riley, in which he criticized the American flag and made a connection between police and racism.

Jackson Fuentes, press secretary for the UA Student Government Association, confirmed at 4:15 p.m. that Riley is no longer working at the University.

“For us right now, basically all I can tell you is that the University and Dr. Riley have mutually agreed to part ways,” Fuentes said. “So yeah, that’s true, and we do wish him the best.”

In an email at 5:03 p.m., assistant director of the Division of Strategic Communications Chris Bryant released an official statement on behalf of the University confirming Riley’s resignation.

“Dr. Jamie Riley has resigned his position at The University of Alabama by mutual agreement,” Bryant said in the email. “Neither party will have any further comments.”

Breitbart News has a reputation for being an ultra-conservative news, opinion and commentary website. The article reads that the author reached out to the University last week to receive a comment on Riley’s past tweets but that a statement was not given. The article also says Riley’s Twitter account appeared as private on Friday morning so only his followers could view his account.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 pm

I'm surprised they didn't just pull him over and shoot him in the face. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Jesus, they're hunting black people. I wish he hadn't resigned.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:17 pm

As plantations talk more honestly about slavery, some visitors are pushing back
The backlash is reflected in some online reviews of plantations, including McLeod in Charleston, S.C., where one visitor complained earlier this summer that she “didn’t come to hear a lecture on how the white people treated slaves.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... talk-back/

These people are pathetic.