Republicans: continued

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Deafening silence from Republicans over Trump latest round of racist tweets. One can only think that Republican racism is the new normal.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Deafening silence from Republicans over Trump latest round of racist tweets. One can only think that Republican racism is the new normal.
He's already been accused of racism. How would this be 'news'?

Maybe if he encouraged his followers to raid an I.C.E. detention center with firebombs and guns, without a care for the staff or detainees (the dude tried to ignite the fuel tanks)
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Well, we, they, couldn't have believed it was possible before Trump! And if they are paying attention his support numbers suggest we were right. But even with his numbers tanking I believe the constant attention he is given as a serious threat gives him an aura of success.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:

Maybe if he encouraged his followers to raid an I.C.E. detention center with firebombs and guns, without a care for the staff or detainees (the dude tried to ignite the fuel tanks)
He told US citizens to go home to "the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came." Personally I wouldn't make excuses for dog-whistle racism from anyone let alone from a president who's supposed to represent all citizens in the US, but can I understand why you might. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:33 pm
But even with his numbers tanking I believe the constant attention he is given as a serious threat gives him an aura of success.
I think there is some misinformation being peddled about the popularity and appeal of the Dems.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
It's hilarious how much of a difference there is between the reported (by MSM) support for Trump, vs the reality.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:41 pm

No other president has had the wisdom and strength to achieve a trade deal with N. Korea.
995519799211024384.jpg
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Well, we, they, couldn't have believed it was possible before Trump! And if they are paying attention his support numbers suggest we were right. But even with his numbers tanking I believe the constant attention he is given as a serious threat gives him an aura of success.
His numbers aren't the only one's taking a turn for the worst - wages are down against prices, medical and household debt is rising, booming asset wealth is sucking money out of the economy, tariffs are biting, and the deficit is soaring. He promised his supporters brighter economic days and a reversal of the economic decline that was hitting them hard - and he's failing spectacularly. Now his team have obviously decided that the culture war is the only battlefield he stands even a whiff of a chance on.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
But even with his numbers tanking I believe the constant attention he is given as a serious threat gives him an aura of success.
I think there is some misinformation being peddled about the popularity and appeal of the Dems.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
It's hilarious how much of a difference there is between the reported (by MSM) support for Trump, vs the reality.
I thought they were celebrating America not Trump. Maybe Trump is America eh?

:dance:

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
His numbers aren't the only one's taking a turn for the worst - wages are down against prices, medical and household debt is rising, booming asset wealth is sucking money out of the economy, tariffs are biting, and the deficit is soaring. He promised his supporters brighter economic days and a reversal of the economic decline that was hitting them hard - and he's failing spectacularly. Now his team have obviously decided that the culture war is the only battlefield he stands even a whiff of a chance on.
The border, abortion ... what's that Tero says? guns, babies, jesus? --yep

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Yeah, the two big bugbears of Trump: The border (brown people) and abortion (women). Brown women in congress must seem like a perfect storm to him.

Somebody on the radio just said that Trump can't do a racism because he has an Asian-American in his cabinet.

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
If anything, Trump's numbers are improving. In April last year his disapproval rating was 55% and his approval rating was 38%. Last week the respective figures were 53% and 44%. Besides that, single act of war or terrorism, or an assassination attempt in, say, the last two months leading up to the next presidential elections will ensure he'll romp back in with a landslide.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm
Cunt wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

He told US citizens to go home to "the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came." Personally I wouldn't make excuses for dog-whistle racism from anyone let alone from a president who's supposed to represent all citizens in the US, but can I understand why you might. :tea:
Trump only said what he knows the people who voted for him in the previous elections want to hear. He knows them very well indeed. They forgive him all failings and excesses as long as he panders to their base desires. People laughed when he proudly proclaimed that he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue, and his supporters will remain loyal to him. Who is laughing now?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Hermit wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm
Cunt wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

Trump only said what he knows the people who voted for him in the previous elections want to hear....
Hence: "One can only think that Republican racism is the new normal."

I wonder why popularism appeals only to the worst in people rather than the best?

Frank Zappa

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 pm
I wonder why popularism appeals only to the worst in people rather than the best?
It doesn't. In 1972 the first Labor government in 23 years came in after running a thoroughly populist election campaign. It's slogan was simple: "It's time (for a change)" Promises were made that were extremely sketchy on details. More money for health services and education, less money for the military, the few soldiers we had sent to Vietnam will be withdrawn, conscription scrapped, that sort of thing.

This is how Labor's election campaign opened.

Eventually the Murdoch/Packer media duopoly got its act together undermining the government. The 1973 oil crisis and subsequent recession did the government no favours either. Nevertheless, Whitlam managed to win the next election, but with a much reduced majority in the House of Representatives. Labor never had control of the Senate, which held the government's purse strings. The combination of an ultra-conservative Supreme Court Judge, a corrupt and alcoholic Governor General, a devious leader of the opposition, the eventual refusal of the Senate to pass Supply and a raft of other factors a chain of events too convoluted to go into here ran its course, resulting in the premature dismissal of Whitlam's Labor government. By then its populism had well and truly lost its shine. The conservatives romped back in with a massive landslide at the next election.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:04 pm

The ALP's '72 campaign and modern day populism may have some overlap in surface style, but they are also very different. The bulk of today's populist programs are right-wing at heart, and appeal not to idealism but fear and hatred.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!