Global Climate Change Science News

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Global Climate Change Science News

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:11 am

Himalayan glaciers are melting twice as fast...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-20/ ... t/11226838
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:31 am

The ice up there is dangerous. Probably causes cancer.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 am

Great Pacific garbage patch: giant plastic trap put to sea again

A floating device designed to catch plastic waste has been redeployed in a second attempt to clean up a huge island of garbage swirling in the Pacific Ocean between California and Hawaii.

Boyan Slat, creator of the Ocean Cleanup project, announced on Twitter that a 600-metre (2,000-foot) long floating boom that broke apart late last year was sent back to the Great Pacific garbage patch this week after four months of repair.

A ship towed the U-shaped barrier from San Francisco to the patch in September to trap the plastic. But during the four months at sea, the boom broke apart under constant waves and wind and the boom wasn’t retaining the plastic it caught.

“Hopefully nature doesn’t have too many surprises in store for us this time,” Slat tweeted. “Either way, we’re set to learn a lot from this campaign.”

Fitted with solar-powered lights, cameras, sensors and satellite antennas, the device intends to communicate its position at all times, allowing a support vessel to fish out the collected plastic every few months and transport it to dry land.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... oyed-again
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 am

Yep. Cheap clothes are helping the garbage pile.

The story of a £4 Boohoo dress: cheap clothes at a high cost
It comes in red, mustard and black, in sizes 6 up to 16; the bandeau bodycon minidress, is, according to the online retailer Boohoo, “perfect for transitioning from day to play”.

It is not so much the styling and colour, but the price of the £5 dress – reduced this week to just £4 – which attracts thousands of the thriving retailer’s 5 million UK customers to add it to their online shopping bag, click and pay.

Products and prices like these have driven Boohoo’s profits to a record £59.9m, bucking the trend of struggling high street fashion stores across the country.

Made in the UK, at factories in Leicester and Manchester, the £5 dress epitomises a fast fashion industry that pumps hundreds of new collections on to the market in short time at pocket money prices, with social media celebrity endorsement to boost high consumer demand. On average, such dresses and other products are discarded by consumers after five weeks.
These clothes dont even get washed just thrown away.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:52 am

I haven't bought a new item of clothing for over 5 years. Charity shops are overflowing with hardly worn items.

I still have some pants from before the old king died. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Never bought a thing since I retired. So many clothes. I always sourced my clothes and never mind paying top prices. All my clothes are made in Europe.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:54 pm

I source mine from tiny little organic oriental children whose parents have sold into virtual slavery. Each child has a certificate and is guaranteed to be worked 16 hours a day. I have the paperwork, so you know they are genuine.

My last dinner suit cost me £2.75.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 pm

We always discard any clothing we don't need to a variety of charities, where it is sorted into stuff that can be re-purposed, and others for rags or recycling. None of ours goes to landfill.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:01 pm

‘Precipitous’ fall in Antarctic sea ice revealed
The vast expanse of sea ice around Antarctica has suffered a fall since 2014, satellite data shows, and fell at a faster rate than seen in the Arctic.

The plunge in the average annual extent means Antarctica lost as much sea ice in four years as the Arctic lost in 34 years. The cause of the sharp Antarctic losses is as yet unknown and only time will tell whether the ice recovers or continues to decline.

But researchers said it showed ice could disappear much more rapidly than previously thought. Unlike the melting of ice sheets on land, sea ice melting does not raise sea level. But losing bright white sea ice means the sun’s heat is instead absorbed by dark ocean waters, leading to a vicious circle of heating...
:[

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Well, at least the stock market is up...

June was hottest month ever recorded on Earth, European satellite agency announces
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 84691.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:32 am

Seabass wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:42 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 am
Forty Two wrote:
In order forthese folks to be "refugees", they must be "persecuted" under international law, which means, they can no longer live in Honduras due to a reasonable fear or proof they will be persecuted by reason of their race, religion, nationality, membership in a social group, or political opinion. Refugee status is secured while outside of the US (or any other country for which refugee status is sought). Once a person crosses the border, he can't be a refugee.

Once the border is crossed, they could become "asylum seekers." Asylum seekers are already in country, but have a claim that if they are returned to Honduras (or whatever home country), they will be persecuted for religious, racial, national origin, or social group/political opinion reasons.

So, what should happen here. What should happen is that the US shouldn't let a single Honduran in that mob into the country. And, there is a very good reason for it, and it's a reason adhered to by "every other first world civilized industrialized country" including all the pontificating and bloviating Europeans.

That reason is the United Nations Convention and Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees.

Every country involved here has signed onto that Convention.

That requires the "first safe country" to be the country at which asylum claims are to be resolved in the "first safe country." I.e. a refugee claim would be made from Honduras - they'd go to the US consulate, and claim refugee status there, or they'd be part of a group that is en masse designated "refugee status" under international law. If they actually leave Honduras under a claim of persecution, once they enter Guatemala or Belize, they would be required under international law to have their asylum claim processed in Guatemala or Belize if one of those countries is a "safe country" (meaning the persecution they claim to be suffering for religious, racial, political reasons will not be occurring there). If that's not a safe country, then they can move to Mexico and process their claim there.

Interesting thing, though. Of all the interviews I've seen of members of this mob by CNN and such, not a single one claims they are being persecuted for their political opinions, religion, race, national origin or social group. Not one. They all say they want a better life, jobs, etc.

If that's their claim, then they aren't fucking refugees or asylees, and they need to go the fuck home.

If they ARE claiming such persecution, then they really need to explain why the fuck they wouldn't be safe from this persecution in Guatemala or Mexico. I mean, are Mexicans persecuting these Hondurans for their politics? Social group? Latino status? Catholic religion? They are going to harass and commit violence against Hondurans because they're Honduran? Funny - nobody seems to be persecuting them now, even after they assaulted police and battered down fences to bust their way into the country. They're moving freely and unmolested through the country.

So, no matter how you slice this, either they are not refugee/asylees, in which case, go the fuck home. And if they are refugee/asylees, then there is no reason the shouldn't be processed in Mexico or Guatemala.

Trump is -- once again -- in the right. The Democrats are playing politics with immigration. They are making this out to be some obligation on the part of the US to accept these mobs of economic migrants into the country, and calling the President a racist if he doesn't agree.

Fuck them. Go home. Go back to Honduras. This is a major political grandstanding move.

Bog help us all if the fucking Democrats get control of the House.
The US shouldn't offer asylum to Hondurans or Guatamalabs fleeing a break down of civil order and imploding economies?
I believe he made his position perfectly clear:
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:09 pm
Fuck them. Go home. Go back to Honduras.
:coffee:
How Climate Changes Drives Migration To The U.S. | NBC News
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Bogus anthropogenic warming increasingly seen as a hoax

Post by Galaxian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 am

Now that the hot air predictions are increasingly shown for what they are: 'hot air' , more scientists are working up the spinal fortitude to take on the propagandist money-grabbing self-serving retards for being part of this false flag operation.

Here's one of the latest papers:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.00165

And its PDF for those not yet mentally emasculated:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165

Download it & read. Try not to switch into 'functionally illiterate' mode!

Need help? Ask 16 year old useful idiot SJW operative Greta Tintin Thunberg. She'll take you in hand! :lou:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:36 am

Plucky conspiracy whackjob debunks established science...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Bogus anthropogenic warming increasingly seen as a hoax

Post by Galaxian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:36 am
Plucky conspiracy whackjob debunks established science...
Like I said: "Try not to switch into 'functionally illiterate' mode!" But for some, that's difficult to impossible.

And also said: "And its PDF for those not yet mentally emasculated:"

Look up what "emasculated" means & juxtapose it with "mentally". But then you might simply be a "useful idiot" like Greta? :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Non-peer-reviewed manuscript falsely claims natural cloud changes can explain global warming

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 am
Non-peer-reviewed manuscript falsely claims natural cloud changes can explain global warming

Flawed Reasoning: The authors' argument claims a correlation between cloud cover/relative humidity and global temperature proves that the former caused the latter without investigating whether they have the relationship backwards.

Inadequate support: The source of their claimed global cloud dataset is not given, and no research on their proposed mechanism for climate change is cited.

Fails to provide correct physical explanation: The manuscript incorrectly claims that the rise of atmospheric carbon dioxide is caused by release from ocean waters. It also provides no explanation for the claim that an increase in relative humidity causes global cooling.
Details here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould