The US Healthcare Mass Debate

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: The US Healthcare Mass Debate

Post by Tero » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm

The thinking, American, is that "government does things poorly", so they want to keep it off healthcare. Thus even the insurance has to be in private hands. I blame Reagan. He started it, in recent memory.

So they...republicans...want to pay 2-3 times more to keep "government hands" off medicine.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Tero wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm
The thinking, American, is that "government does things poorly", so they want to keep it off healthcare. Thus even the insurance has to be in private hands. I blame Reagan. He started it, in recent memory.

So they...republicans...want to pay 2-3 times more to keep "government hands" off medicine.
He didn't start it. His election was just sort of the zenith of a rightward shift that had been happening during the Cold War...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Tero wrote:The thinking, American, is that "government does things poorly", so they want to keep it off healthcare. Thus even the insurance has to be in private hands. I blame Reagan. He started it, in recent memory.

The government is doing things poorly at the monent, and getting worse.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 pm

That's the Republicans! They force every outfit, including the post office and Medicare, into situations where they can't compete. By laws. You don't want to regulate business, but you regulate gov't agencies to drive them to failure.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 pm

Dysfunctional country.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 am

The GOP are the political wing of the free market.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 am
The GOP are the political wing of the free market.
More accurately, they are the political wing of a particular take on the free market, strongly coloured by reaction against anything considered socially progressive. Most of the Democratic Party are also a political wing of free enterprise, but with some sensibility to socially progressive policies...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:43 am

They're full of shit, but they've run things for so long it's hard to see. That's why I want transparency so much.

--//--

I shocked some cashier tonight when in response to his request for charity, "it can be as little as .25 cents!" I responded that I don't believe in helping people. Yep, fuck you bud. I did help him out a bit by telling him there is a compelling progressive argument that sees charity as an excuse for his government to continue to ignore the needs of its people. I don't think my comments were welcomed by anyone in line. :biggrin:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 am

Government should not run the health service just control it but that is true of almost everything. Use the private sector dont pander to it.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:07 am

I don't know what options are best. Mostly because that is an enormous task that requires expertise I don't have in several disciplines.

But also because the people making the decisions don't talk above an elementary level to the public about these issues, and the language of our discussions rarely ventures beyond our personal philosophies into how anyone is supposed to translate, say, a Democrat's belief in community, into legislation that meets our needs.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:19 am

Sean Hayden wrote:They're full of shit, but they've run things for so long it's hard to see. That's why I want transparency so much.

--//--

I shocked some cashier tonight when in response to his request for charity, "it can be as little as .25 cents!" I responded that I don't believe in helping people. Yep, fuck you bud. I did help him out a bit by telling him there is a compelling progressive argument that sees charity as an excuse for his government to continue to ignore the needs of its people. I don't think my comments were welcomed by anyone in line. Image
Preach it sister!
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:22 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Government should not run the health service just control it but that is true of almost everything. Use the private sector dont pander to it.
Including a profit motive just makes essential services more expensive to the end user, and more incentive to shortcut services. Of course, I know you are talking about how the Netherlands does things, so this will have no effect on your Anglo-Dutch mindset.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:49 am

It does however seem to be true that if government ‘managers’ the big institutions they tend to get hugely bureaucratic, bogged down with reporting and accountability and an arena for political games. It is true here of health and education in particular.

A balance where actual professional medics (or academics), with the right background actually run these institutions and have some sort of reporting system with government - albeit robust - would work better.

Working in senior management in education I’ve seen first hand the amount of wasted time and energy that goes just into ticking boxes for bureaucrats in London.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 am

In these days of neoliberal and austerity politics there's not much bureaucracy left.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 am

I’m still in touch with a few people I used to work with. The staffing group I was part of is about a third the size it was due to ‘austerity’, but the requirements to report a range of ‘indicators ‘ (I.e. stats) has not changed much at all.

From what I pick up they just make the figures up when they aren’t sure. Nobody much checks it seems any more.