Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:54 am

So do I. :tup:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Ad campaign targets Dems over ‘secret’ list of potential Supreme Court picks
When President Trump ran for office in 2016, he released a list of possible candidates he would consider for Supreme Court nominations -- now, a new ad campaign is calling on Democrats to do the same.

The 30-second ad -- part of a two-week, $1.1 million campaign from the conservative Judicial Crisis Network -- is scheduled to launch as 2020 Democratic candidates meet for debates in Miami this week.

"It certainly helped President Trump when he made history putting his list out there," JCN chief counsel and policy director Carrie Severino told "Fox & Friends" on Tuesday. "My fear is the liberals are campaigning on trying to pack the court now, they want to add justices. They want liberal activists who are going to be so extreme, they don’t want the American people to see the kinds of people they want to put on the court."

“Trump released his list. Why won’t you?” the ad says, putting pressure on Democratic primary front-runner Joe Biden, in particular, to reveal who would be considered.

“Democratic candidates and liberal groups are campaigning to pack the courts with liberal judges, while keeping their list secret,” Severino said in a statement. “Democratic frontrunner Joe Biden and all Democratic presidential candidates should stop hiding and release their list of potential Supreme Court nominees so the American people can judge for themselves.”
I believe the appropriate response to this is, "Merrick Garland." :smoke:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:30 pm

In the despicable flock of shitehawks that is the Republican contingent in the US Congress, Louie Gohmert still manages to be an outstanding example of malicious idiocy.

'Gohmert calls Mueller an "anal opening" ahead of testimony'
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) called former special counsel Robert Mueller an "anal opening" ahead of the former FBI chief's public testimony before Congress.

“He’s done some irreparable damage to some things and he’s got to answer for them,” Gohmert told Politico. He is one of 25 Republicans on the House Intelligence and Judiciary committees who get to grill Mueller during the back-to-back hearings scheduled later this month.

The Texas lawmaker added that his reading of the former special counsel’s report did little to temper his animosity toward Mueller: “It reinforced the anal opening that I believe Mueller to be.”

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 pm

When I look at my Republican congressman, I console myself that at least he's better than Gohmert.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:23 am

Mueller might be an arsehole, but it doesn't mean he was wrong. His report may have done 'some irreparable damage' but he was commissioned by the Trump administration, in specific circumstances and with a specific remit - and nobody appears to dispute that he fulfilled that remeit. The idea that Mueller is some rogue independent and/or malicious actor hell-bent on destroying Trump, or democracy, or whatever, is laughable - but it seems to be the hymn sheet the Republicans are singing from.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Koch brothers probably putting most money on senators and a little on house. ZERO for Trump:

In recent weeks, the NRA has seen everything from a failed coup attempt to the departure of its longtime political architect to embarrassing tales of self-dealing by top leaders. The turmoil is fueling fears that the organization will be profoundly diminished heading into the election, leaving the Republican Party with a gaping hole in its political machinery.

With the Chamber of Commerce and Koch political network withdrawing from their once-dominant roles in electing conservatives, Republicans worry that three organizations that have long formed the core of their electoral infrastructure will be effectively on the sidelines.
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019 ... gn-1395970
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Files on the drives also showed that he wrote the key portion of a draft letter that the Department of Justice used to maintain, dubiously, that the citizenship question was needed to help enforce the Voting Rights Act. The Times noted that "the disclosures represent the most explicit evidence to date that the Trump administration added the question to the 2020 census to advance Republican Party interests."
These revelations will not surprise anyone who has followed ongoing legal wrangling over citizenship and the census. On this issue -- which will affect the day-to-day lives of millions of Americans for years-- the Trump administration has consistently acted in bad faith and with disregard for the integrity of the census.

Now the Times has uncovered Thomas Hofeller's pernicious influence in this process as well. His research found that adding a citizenship question would harm the political power of Latinos and would be "advantageous to Republicans and non-Hispanic whites."
Not only did he urge the administration to add the question, he helped cook up the pretext that it was being done to protect voting rights -- never mind that the Trump administration has not pursued any cases to protect Hispanic voters. This shady episode further politicizes the census, which is supposed to better our communities, not make some of them invisible.

It is a national disgrace that the Trump Administration appears to be using the census as a tool of voter suppression. No matter how the high court rules, there is now even more evidence that the citizenship question was a Republican attempt at a partisan power grab.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/opinions ... index.html

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:43 pm

1EA4F2EC-0D3D-45F8-9928-3C1B316D4C31.jpeg
Trump admin still planning a workaround to question people.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 pm

Wilbur Ross should go down for his part in this. William Barr is working to obstruct the investigation into it, of course.

'Testimony provides damning evidence Trump administration lied about census citizenship question'
A former top adviser to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross confirmed the secretary lied about his intentions for adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census, according to House testimony made public on Tuesday.

The Trump administration has blocked many of its officials from answering questions for House Democratic investigations. James Uthmeier, who served as senior adviser and counsel to Ross, appeared before the House Oversight Committee earlier this month and refused to answer more than 100 questions. Still, he “confirmed key information” about the changes to the census, according to Democratic members of the committee.

His testimony informs the committee’s recent recommendation for contempt charges against Ross and Attorney General William Barr.

As a new U.S. Census Bureau report explains, including a question on citizenship status in the census could result in as many as 9 million people not being counted as living in the United States. This undercount would largely impact racial minorities who fear that disclosing their status could lead to their deportation or that of friends, family members, and neighbors. Because the census determines redistricting for congressional representation, the resulting erasure would drastically benefit Republicans in the next decade of elections.

The House Oversight Committee is investigating whether Ross, at the behest of the Trump administration, knowingly sought to add the question to sabotage the census for partisan gain. The administration has long claimed that the question would somehow aide in better enforcing the Voting Rights Act, but Uthmeier’s testimony further undermined the validity of this rationale.

In his appearance before the oversight committee, Uthmeier revealed three facts that, even without additional context, are damning to the administration.

First, Uthmeier confirmed that both Ross and his policy chief Earl Comstock asked him to look into the legal arguments about a citizenship question in early 2017. He refused to answer any additional questions about those requests or conversations, but the mere fact that Ross was asking about the citizenship question almost as soon as he was appointed contradicts his previous claim that he added the question only after the Justice Department requested it. Uthmeier complied, drafting a memo to John Gore in the Justice Department, but he refused to discuss the memo or the extent to which it actually addressed the Voting Rights Act. Only after receiving that memo did Gore then recommend the addition of the question.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Another Republican exit.

Justin Amash: Our politics is in a partisan death spiral. That’s why I’m leaving the GOP.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Yeah, but those Amish still burn peat and shit in the woods. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:19 pm

31E776BB-8471-4FA5-B3B7-4E42BFAC2A6C.png
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... bergs-site
The left has multiple news outlets

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:05 pm

It's called "Entergagement". A portmanteau of entertainment and engagement. I shit you not - apparently it's a thing now.

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:50 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:41 am

is that a trick question?