Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Re: Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Carole Cadwalladr wrote:
This is not about left or right or Leave or Remain or Trump or not. It’s about whether it’s possible to have a free & fair election ever again.’ Full video here. Please watch. And pls politicians, don’t even think of new election before passing new laws.

https://www.ted.com/talks/carole_cadwal ... _democracy
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 pm

I think free and fair elections are probably a rarity in this world. They probably only have them in the Netherlands in fact. :smug:

From rigging the boundaries of election regions, to ferrying people to polling stations, to telling out and out lies in manifestos - and not too long ago actually bribing people to vote for a particular candidate, I think any sort of ideal is a long way off. The Brexit debate was no different really and most people knew when the bullshit was deployed from both sides.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Nothing much has changed then (you are of course being sarcastic).
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:34 pm

well , I might not be opposed to be bribed into voting, good Roman practice that was, put some butter to cook my spinach.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 pm
The Brexit debate was no different really and most people knew when the bullshit was deployed from both sides.
Except most people didn't know, because much of the bullshit was put through targeted ads in only the facebook feeds of people identified as persuadable by it. Only facebook have the records of who spent how much money to possibly illegally influence how many people with which lies, and they're keeping that information to themselves.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:56 am

'We're anti-influencer': Ice cream truck makes Instagram 'stars' pay double

Customers at Joe Nicchi’s ice cream truck have increasingly had the same demand: give us your ice cream for free.

CVT Soft Serve, a popular truck in Los Angeles, has started to receive weekly requests from self-proclaimed Instagram “influencers” who promise to post a photo of Nicchi’s ice cream – if they don’t have to pay. Nicchi has always said no, but this week he found an unusual way to profit off of the influencers: he publicly told them to go away.

Nicchi went viral after posting a sign that said “influencers pay double”, writing on Instagram that he would “never give you a free ice cream in exchange for a post”. The image, tagged #InfluencersAreGross, spread around the globe, and now Nicchi says his business is booming, attracting fans across southern California who share his disdain of influencers.

“We’re the anti-influencer influencers,” he told the Guardian on Wednesday. “It’s weird … but I think it’s really fun. I hope it inspires small businesses to hold their own and tell people to fuck off.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nfluencers
:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:00 am

Image :clap:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Universal suffrage is a really bad idea. Anyone who would be influenced by a fucking FB or Instagram post is too fucking stupid to be given the vote. I'd disenfranchise about 80% of the population as a starting point. Sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up, eat your fucking sugar and starch burger, and do what you're fucking told you pissant lumpen prole.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:18 pm

From the Beeb:

TikTok's young fans 'exploited' for digital gifts https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48725515

Video-sharing app TikTok says it is "sorry" that some children and other young people have felt pressured into sending money to their favourite influencers on the app.
TikTok lets fans send their favourite videomakers "digital gifts", which can cost up to £48.99.
A BBC investigation found influencers promising to share their phone numbers with fans in exchange for the gifts.
TikTok said it would strengthen its policies and guidelines but did not explain exactly how.
Claire (not her real name) told BBC News she regretted spending £100 to obtain her favourite TikTok star's phone number - and he had never answered his phone.
Claire, 12, who lives in the north-west of England, sent TikTok star Sebastian Moy a £48.99 "drama queen" gift to show her appreciation for his videos.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:23 pm

How the fuck does a 12 year old have access to a hundred quid? When I was 12 I could barely scrape together enough dosh for a pack of fags.

I am SO goddamn glad my kids grew up before Instabooktok or whatever the hell they call all that shite.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:29 pm

laklak wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:23 pm
How the fuck does a 12 year old have access to a hundred quid? When I was 12 I could barely scrape together enough dosh for a pack of fags.

I am SO goddamn glad my kids grew up before Instabooktok or whatever the hell they call all that shite.
I saw the article last night and wondered the exact same thing.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:54 pm

I guess if they've paid for something online, even with a parent's card or paypal, their phone or computer will remember the details. Mine does.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:41 am

At 12 (1961) I was earning 5 pound a week from paper rounds (4). More than enough for fags (1/6p a packet). That must be almost 50 quid or more today?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:59 am

What was that about fags?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:27 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:59 am

What was that about fags?
I’m still FB friends with our Loz. He’s become quite the literati.