Republicans: continued

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Seabass » Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 am

The abortion situation over here is a mess. We don't have any actual laws that make abortion legal. Roe v Wade is just a legal precedent that basically says abortion bans are unconstitutional as they are an invasion of privacy. But the courts have allowed Republican controlled states to pass all sorts of restrictions and regulations that can make abortions much harder to get. A few of our more backward states are down to one abortion clinic because it gets to point where most clinics just can't afford to comply with all the byzantine requirements.

So this law will get challenged in lower courts first and make its way to the SCOTUS. I guess the courts will have to decide whether this law is a ban or a restriction (it's obviously a ban dressed up as a restriction). If it makes it to SCOTUS, there's a chance Roe can be overturned.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 08, 2019 7:36 am

Your country is fucked.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 am

JimC wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:26 am
What about Wade v Roe?
why do you want to wade in fish roe?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 08, 2019 8:39 am

Svartalf wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 am
JimC wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:26 am
What about Wade v Roe?
why do you want to wade in fish roe?
Nothing to do with fish roe. There was a typo brought about by haste. The shortened message was meant to force someone to weigh up the pros and cons of two options: Wade versus row ashore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 08, 2019 8:44 am

:cheers:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 08, 2019 10:37 am

Weighed vs Road.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am

Tero wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 am
The Republican War on Democracy
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... democracy/
NYT article

reddit comment

level 2
truthovertribe
I recommend the book "Democracy In Chains" written by a well respected Historian and Author. According to this book, the Koch Brothers have bought the soul of the Republican Party. They are atheists (pandering to the Religious Right for the sake of power). They aren't Conservatives, they're Radical Libertarians. They want no taxes and they want to take Democracy away from the American people because they fear you might demand things that benefit you like Social Security and Medicare or indeed any safety net. They rig the system for themselves by buying legislators, then call it Capitalism. They want no Unions or ability of the people to organize for their own interests. They want no regulations. If their Oil/Gas companies pollute the environment or water or air and harm Americans they don't care, they care only about profits. This Administration has been an absolute wet dream for the Koch Brothers ( indeed most Oligarchs) and Mega-Corporations. Until we understand how we have a greed based system where the wealthiest (this includes foreigners) are buying Politicians to rig the rules of the game in their favor we won't be able to make the Political apparatus begin to work for the majority of Americans instead. I would try not to vote for any legislator who is in the pockets of the Koch Brothers, other Oligarchs, Big Pharma, Big Medical Insurance Corporations, the Oil/Gas Industries and the Weapons Dealers. Don't vote for anyone who signed Grover Norquist's anti-tax pledge. Grover Norquist is working for the wealthiest only!...Best Wishes!

"The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists."
-- The Man Who Was Thursday, G. K. Chesterton, 1908
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 am

9B814728-2FBE-4566-A719-1AEBF6B3BB26.jpeg
Turtle talks groundhogs
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm

5ABBADA2-636C-4747-83C7-EACF0D08B4E3.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 09, 2019 1:47 pm

... unless its Latin.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Don't be using the government to force innocent children to be stuck with needles and impose your sorcery on God-fearing Americans! It's disgusting that you're trying to line your pockets in the name of 'medicine' and 'science.'

'Vaccines are "sorcery," Texas lawmaker tells vaccine expert and pediatrician'
Texas lawmaker Jonathan Stickland called vaccines "sorcery" Tuesday in a social media post criticizing a vaccine expert.

Stickland – a state representative who describes himself as a "Christian Conservative" and a "Liberty Loving Republican" in his Twitter bio – made the comment as part of an extended critique of vaccines and the scientific community.

The exchange started with a tweet by pediatrician Peter Hotez lamenting the upward trend of Texas children exempted from vaccines. Hotez – a vaccine expert and founder of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine – said the "children of #Texas have been placed in harm's way for the financial gain of special & outside interest groups."

"Mind your own business," Stickland replied in part to Hotez, alleging that his vaccine advocacy was "self enriching 'science.' "

Hotez said he does not take money from the vaccine industry. His role as a Texas pediatrician and scientist makes the issue of rising vaccine exemptions a part of his business, he said.

"Make the case for your sorcery to consumers on your own dime. Like every other business," Stickland tweeted. "Quit using the heavy hand of government to make your business profitable through mandates and immunity. It’s disgusting."

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu May 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Didn't someone say before that it was the Dems who were the anti-vax party? So much for that...

Meanwhile, here's a 6th grader saying that during this week's school shooting he "was holding a baseball bat, because I was going to go down fighting."

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 am

If only he was armed.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 10, 2019 1:06 am

How can a so-called 'lawmaker' actually make laws for the benefit of public health if they don't accept the germ-theory of medicine? This sort of errant bum custard make Roy Moore look like a reasonable kind of guy.

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri May 10, 2019 3:18 pm

US Attorney General Barr's conception of the scope of responses allowed a president to quash an investigation of his activities would have kept Nixon safe, according to Lawrence Robbins, a former federal prosecutor who served in the Reagan and Bush I years. Robbins is one of approximately 800 (and counting) former federal prosecutors who've signed the DOJ Alumni Statement. I suspect that Barr agrees, and thinks Nixon should have never been forced from office.

'William Barr’s Legal Ideas Would Have Let Richard Nixon Off the Hook, Too'
In his May 1 testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Attorney General Barr repeatedly invoked the broad proposition that when a president exercises his authority under Article II of the Constitution in a “facially innocent” fashion, a prosecutor cannot reasonably find the corrupt intent needed to charge obstruction of justice. According to Barr, “most of the episodes” detailed in Volume II of the Mueller Report involved precisely such exercises of presidential discretion.

These “facially innocent episodes” presumably include President Trump’s attempts to discharge Mueller; his efforts to constrain the scope of the Mueller inquiry only to future Russian influence; his repeated instructions to the White House counsel to lie to the public and create false and misleading documents; and his (successful) discharging of FBI Director Comey for the self-confessed purpose of derailing the Russia Investigation.

This aggressive theory of executive power—espoused mainly by a handful of lawyers, most of whom serve mainly as TV personalities these days—was definitively refuted in Volume II of the Mueller Report itself. As Mueller explained, applying an obstruction statute to the president, even when he exercises core Article II authority, is entirely constitutional whenever the president is acting for such “personal purposes” as “shielding himself from criminal punishment, avoiding financial liability, or preventing personal embarrassment.” In such cases, Mueller added, holding the president accountable “furthers, rather than hinders, the impartial and evenhanded administration of the law.”

Barr’s contrary view is essentially a form of presidential immunity. After all, there is almost nothing a president can do, (short of shooting someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue) that cannot somehow be construed as an exercise of Article II power.

But as the Watergate “smoking gun” tape illustrates, Barr’s Article II defense is also deeply ahistorical. Nixon, no less than Trump, believed that he was being hounded by his political enemies. Nixon, no less than Trump, believed himself—to quote Barr—to have been “falsely accused” of the underlying Watergate offense. Nixon, in fact, held precisely the subjective beliefs that, in Barr’s view, should have rendered him immune from obstruction charges.