US Election 2020

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: US Election 2020

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:54 pm
Sanders will be as old when sworn in to presidency as Reagan was at the end of 8 years.
Sanders was born September 9, 1890. :prof:
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:52 pm
Seabass wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:39 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:11 am
He's an asshole. He is probably near impossible to work for, ruling by decree and abuse - the kind of boss that enters the building in increases the tension by his presence. Rules by fear and intimidation if necessary. Carrots and sticks. Results only. No excuses. I want X. Give me X or you will feel pain. If I get X, you will be rewarded. Then it's over, and you suck again until you give me the next thing I want. He cheats on his wives and girlfriends. He's selfish, mean, unpleasant, aggressive, conceited, gluttonous, avaricious, braggart.
He's vile, amoral, unethical, cruel, narcissistic, bigoted, hateful, sociopathic, aggressively ignorant, pathologically dishonest... and you defend everything he does.
I just find it hard to believe you think any of the major politicians are not most of those things.

If I waited for a pleasant, kind, considerate, non-narcissistic, non-sociopathic, expertly educated, pathologically honest and completely ethical and moral politician, I'd likely never vote again.
Was Obama a vile, amoral, unethical, cruel, narcissistic, bigoted, hateful, sociopathic, aggressively ignorant, pathologically dishonest politician? Was Ronald Reagan? Angela Merkel? Willy Brandt? Not "most of these things".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 pm

MMmh you may be describing frump, but I'm not so sure you're not also describing reagan, I hope obie was a cut above that...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:08 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
He's an asshole. He is probably near impossible to work for, ruling by decree and abuse - the kind of boss that enters the building in increases the tension by his presence. Rules by fear and intimidation if necessary. Carrots and sticks. Results only. No excuses. I want X. Give me X or you will feel pain. If I get X, you will be rewarded. Then it's over, and you suck again until you give me the next thing I want. He cheats on his wives and girlfriends. He's selfish, mean, unpleasant, aggressive, conceited, gluttonous, avaricious, braggart.
He's vile, amoral, unethical, cruel, narcissistic, bigoted, hateful, sociopathic, aggressively ignorant, pathologically dishonest... and you defend everything he does.
I just find it hard to believe you think any of the major politicians are not most of those things.

If I waited for a pleasant, kind, considerate, non-narcissistic, non-sociopathic, expertly educated, pathologically honest and completely ethical and moral politician, I'd likely never vote again.
Was Obama a vile, amoral, unethical, cruel, narcissistic, bigoted, hateful, sociopathic, aggressively ignorant, pathologically dishonest politician? Was Ronald Reagan? Angela Merkel? Willy Brandt? Not "most of these things".
Well, I don't find Trump to be bigoted, cruel, hateful, unethical, or any more dishonest than most other politicians, or "vile" per se. Amoral? Probably. Narcissistic, definitely, sociopathic (fairly common among CEO and power-hungry politicians) maybe, ignorant (yes, of some things, but also quite competent in many areas). I find him to be a mixture, as most people are.

Obama was dishonest, albeit well-spoken, narcissistic for sure. But, I didn't find him bigoted, ignorant or vile - I did find him to be less competent in many ways than Trump, but also more competent in other ways.

So, I don't have a black-and-white view of politicians. I don't imagine any of them to be angels, though. It's a hardscrabble, cut-throat world, and they have political factions to cater to, money to raise, and agendas to fulfill. That's the trouble with politics in general.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

Yeah, they're all as bad as Trump. Whatever helps you sleep at night. :roll:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Not necessarily. People are, of course, different. I'm just not naive enough to believe that the politicians on my side of the aisle are innocent lambs while the other side has the evil guys. One would have to be rather blinkered to think that, no matter which side of the aisle one sits.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:56 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:40 pm
Seabass wrote:

Not necessarily. People are, of course, different. I'm just not naive enough to believe that the politicians on my side of the aisle are innocent lambs while the other side has the evil guys. One would have to be rather blinkered to think that, no matter which side of the aisle one sits.
So you admit you're a Republican, finally.

I don't think it's fair to call your side evil. They're also crazy and stupid. I mean, they're happy to watch the planet burn in exchange for short term financial gain. Honestly, I don't think "crazy, evil, and stupid" does your side justice.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:56 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:

No, I don't. I'm an independent, leaning libertarian or classically liberal. I'm on different sides of different issues.
Seabass wrote:

I don't think it's fair to call your side evil. They're also crazy and stupid. I mean, they're happy to watch the planet burn in exchange for short term financial gain. Honestly, I don't think "crazy, evil, and stupid" does your side justice.
Many are crazy and stupid on the Republican side, and yes my side - the independent or liberal or libertarian side. Sure. Some real nutters out there. Progressives and Democrats too - full of crazy dumbasses.

I don't think crazy, evil and stupid does your side justice either. The kind of policies you support in these threads are damaging, and injurious to the overall common good and human dignity. If find your approach repugnant, and ideology bankrupt.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:20 pm
Seabass wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:

No, I don't. I'm an independent, leaning libertarian or classically liberal. I'm on different sides of different issues.
Seabass wrote:

Many are crazy and stupid on the Republican side, and yes my side - the independent or liberal or libertarian side. Sure. Some real nutters out there. Progressives and Democrats too - full of crazy dumbasses.

I don't think crazy, evil and stupid does your side justice either. The kind of policies you support in these threads are damaging, and injurious to the overall common good and human dignity. If find your approach repugnant, and ideology bankrupt.
Fascinating. Your parallel universe is an interesting place. Here on Earth 1, the Democratic party is a run of the mill, first world, centrist party the likes of which you might find in Canada or Australia.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Sure, as a whole the parties are rather centrist - one to the right, one to the left. As is difficult for you and some others, you have a hard time distinguishing between individuals and groups. There are crazies dumbasses on the left and the right. That doesn't mean the Democratic Party platform is a radical departure from run of the mill centrist parties. Same goes for the GOP. The platform is certainly rather right leaning, but the suggestion that the GOP is an extreme right wing party akin to fascism and Nazism is a political ploy.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 pm
Sure, as a whole the parties are rather centrist - one to the right, one to the left. As is difficult for you and some others, you have a hard time distinguishing between individuals and groups. There are crazies dumbasses on the left and the right. That doesn't mean the Democratic Party platform is a radical departure from run of the mill centrist parties. Same goes for the GOP. The platform is certainly rather right leaning, but the suggestion that the GOP is an extreme right wing party akin to fascism and Nazism is a political ploy.
Yes, the GOP is centrist... :funny: :funny: :funny:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:24 pm

:hilarious:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm

...in the sense of center right, sure.

They're not a radical or extremist party, and neither are the Democrats.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 pm
Yes, the GOP is centrist... :funny: :funny: :funny:
Depends, if you put a powerful enough electromagnet close to a compass, you can claim anything is North and show the compass as proof. In the present case, the magnet is called bad faith and self delusion.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm
...in the sense of center right, sure.

They're not a radical or extremist party, and neither are the Democrats.
The GOP is only center right from the perspective of someone who has travelled forward in time from Nazi Germany. Do you own a time machine?

The Democrat Joe Manchin is a conservative. The ENTIRE Republican party is to the right of Joe Manchin. There are no centrist Republicans. There are no moderate Republicans.