Meanwhile, Texas

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Meanwhile, Texas

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Democrats are as bad as Republicans. :prof:

Texas abortion bill proposes death penalty for women, physicians
Texas lawmakers are considering a bill that would ban abortion in the state and charge women who have abortions with homicide, which can carry the death penalty in the state.

Rep. Tony Tinderholt, a Republican, introduced the “Abolition of Abortion in Texas Act,” or House Bill 896, in January to "protect the rights of an unborn child" but it was granted its first committee hearing on Monday and Tuesday.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... ns-n993171
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:33 pm

Doesn't your federal law make abortions legal?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:59 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:33 pm
Kind of. We don't have any actual statutes that make abortion legal, but Roe v Wade established that abortion bans are unconstitutional because they violate the bodily autonomy of the mother.

But... several red states have made abortions so hard to get that they almost have de facto bans. And now that the SCOTUS is so right-wing, a lot of the red states are trying to pass anti-abortion laws knowing that they will get challenged in court, with the hope they can get all the way to SCOTUS to have a go at getting Roe reversed.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 pm

OK, makes a twisted sort of sense... :tup:
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am

If ther robert court overturns roe vs wade, it's gonna take decades before things can be made acceptable again
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am

A Texas couple has been sentenced to 7 years in prison for forcing a young girl to work in their home for 16 years

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:11 pm

I sense a discrepancy between the offense and the penalty.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Florida needs to up its game..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Texas and Florida are non-overlapping magisteria.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 am
What's next for the driver behind the wild horse ride on 59?

They ticketed him for a busted taillight, he was going 50 mph, not that slower would have been better in this case...

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texa ... police-say
Furfukssakes. :nono:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 am

Lone Star Justice...
Texas bartender faces charges for serving shooter before mass killing

A bartender who served a Texas man on the night he killed eight people at his ex-wife's house has been arrested and faces charges in connection with the incident.

Lindsey Glass served the shooter, Spencer Hight, in September 2017 at a local bar in Plano, Texas, where he appeared to be drunk and brandished weapons, police and state officials said in a report by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

After leaving the bar, Hight stormed into the home of his former wife, who was having a viewing party of a Dallas Cowboys game. He killed her and seven others before dying in a police shootout at the scene. An autopsy of Hight showed his blood-alcohol level was more than four times the legal limit.

Last week, police arrested Glass on a misdemeanor charge of violating the state's alcoholic beverage code, which says a person can be held liable for selling “an alcoholic beverage to a habitual drunkard or an intoxicated or insane person." Glass has not been formally charged and is out on bail. She faces up to a year in prison, a fine of $500, or both.

Glass’ attorney, Scott Palmer, said the charge is ludicrous. Glass attempted to make sure Hight was OK and to prevent him from doing anything dangerous, Palmer said in a statement to NBC News

"It is shameful of the Plano Police Department to go after the person who was vital in trying to stop the horrific events of that evening," Palmer said, adding that "Lindsey stands as the only person who tried to stop Spencer Hight."

Palmer said it was Glass who called 911, and that she was supposed to be at the party where some of her friends died. He said her arrest is "not in the interest of justice" and is "a last-ditch effort by the Plano PD to make someone pay."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... d-n1002706

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 am

Yebbut ZZ Top

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm

JimC wrote:
Sure, but like every country, there are limits. In New South Wales, abortion is a criminal offense, subject to CES v Superclinics - the exception is that it's legal if a doctor finds any economic, social or medical ground or reason that abortion is required to avoid serious danger to the pregnant woman's life or to her physical or mental health.

In the US women have a fundamental right to privacy which includes abortion. What that means is that the State may not prohibit abortion in the first trimester for any reason - it's pretty much abortion on demand through 13 weeks. During the second trimester, the state may regulate abortion only to protect the health of the woman. During the third trimester - which is 26 weeks to 39 or 40, the state may regulate or prohibit abortion to promote its
interest in the potential life of the fetus, except where abortion is necessary to preserve the woman's life or health. There are subsequent supreme court cases that tweek the general rules.

Plenty of countries have plenty of limitations on the right to abortion.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed May 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm
JimC wrote:
Sure, but like every country, there are limits. In New South Wales, abortion is a criminal offense, subject to CES v Superclinics - the exception is that it's legal if a doctor finds any economic, social or medical ground or reason that abortion is required to avoid serious danger to the pregnant woman's life or to her physical or mental health.

In the US women have a fundamental right to privacy which includes abortion. What that means is that the State may not prohibit abortion in the first trimester for any reason - it's pretty much abortion on demand through 13 weeks. During the second trimester, the state may regulate abortion only to protect the health of the woman. During the third trimester - which is 26 weeks to 39 or 40, the state may regulate or prohibit abortion to promote its
interest in the potential life of the fetus, except where abortion is necessary to preserve the woman's life or health. There are subsequent supreme court cases that tweek the general rules.

Does that imply that the recent Georgia law will be struck out?
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:07 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm
JimC wrote:

Does that imply that the recent Georgia law will be struck out?
Bear in mind when discussing abortion in the US with Coito that he actually said with a straight face, "It's not hard to find a place to get an abortion", and "Not quite sure who is having a huge problem getting an abortion if they want one", when in fact the reality is actually quite different:
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/paz ... linic-left

Earlier this year, Kentucky’s Republican Gov. Matt Bevin moved to close the state’s last remaining abortion clinic, the EMW Women’s Surgical Center in Louisville. Kentucky’s second-to-last clinic, run by the same providers in Lexington, had run up against new licensing requirements and was forced to close in January. Now, the Louisville clinic and the governor are in a legal battle to decide whether Kentucky will become the first state in the U.S. with no abortion provider at all.

Women in Kentucky aren’t the only ones running out of options. Across the country, the number of abortion clinics has been declining for years, and after another clinic closed in West Virginia in January, seven states have just one abortion provider left. (An eighth, Arkansas, has only one full-service provider offering both medication and surgical abortions.)

Demand for abortion in the United States is at a record low level as more women use contraceptives to prevent unintended pregnancies, but an estimated 926,000 abortions were performed in 2014. And women have ever fewer options for care as lawmakers — who cannot ban abortion outright — push ever more restrictions aimed at forcing providers to close.

Closures affect more than abortion care; each of these facilities offers a range of women’s health and other medical services, including pap smears and birth control. And even though it’s sometimes possible to get an abortion elsewhere (from a private physician or in a hospital or by driving across state lines), access for most women is limited to the nearest clinic.