Notre Dame Cathedral Ablaze

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral Ablaze

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:18 am

A philosophy professor, eh...

I jumped to the conclusion he was a deranged atheist (having moderated lots of them), but then I saw this quote from him: "God wants me here."... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:37 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:18 am
A philosophy professor, eh...

I jumped to the conclusion he was a deranged atheist (having moderated lots of them), but then I saw this quote from him: "God wants me here."... :tea:
In the USA even students studying for their first post-graduate degree who work as part time casual tutors are considered to be professors. A few years ago I looked at the staff list of a US university with 12,000 students. Several hundred of its teachers were titled "professor".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am

It is like Belgium where all secondary school teachers are called professor.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:17 am

that's interesting, in France, "professeur" is not used in a logical way, primary school teachers are 'professeur des écoles", and top grade university teachers are 'professeur des universités"... and lower level university teachers are known by other titles, as are secondary school teachers.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:33 am

In Lamparello's case, he's working on a PhD. in philosophy.
Lamparello was an adjunct professor at Seton Hall University and part-time professor at Lehman College.

A Seton Hall spokeswoman said he started in spring 2018 but is no longer part of the faculty, though she could not confirm whether he has been fired.

Lamparello taught online at Lehman starting in the 2018-19 academic year.

Although [family friend] Altomare described the family as devoutly Catholic, Lamparello's mother Dolores described the family as "regular Catholics."

[source]

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:38 am

Professor in Australia is a lofty academic position. You need years of teaching and research to get there.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:40 am

As in most Anglophile areas. Professor here is the head of department in a university.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:56 am

'Professor' is not a title given to secondary school teachers in the US, despite the claim to the contrary above. Lamparello has taught at at least one other college (Brooklyn College), and has published a work on analytic philosophy. The publisher, Wipf and Stock, is not a vanity press.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am

There is a difference in word usage relative to academic ranks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_ ... w_Zealand)

Somehow, that will mean the North American usage is inferior. Probably because of American exceptionalism or something.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:09 pm

More & more indications that Notre Dame fire was deliberate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mmfXjnK0TQ

:nono:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am
There is a difference in word usage relative to academic ranks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_ ... w_Zealand)

Somehow, that will mean the North American usage is inferior. Probably because of American exceptionalism or something.
That is not something I argued. In fact, I did no more than to point out the difference in the usage of "professor", but if you think North American usage is inferior somehow, probably because of American exceptionalism or something, who am I to argue? :mrgreen:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Even more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sK7n9mXP7A

It's a shame, but there are psychos on this planet who stop at nothing to make their mark on the world or to get their way. The destruction of the archaeological sites and ancient buildings and museums & libraries are merely par for the course to them. They are like the arsonists who join the fire brigade so that they can enjoy the fiery spectacle that they created.

Of course all this is unavoidable. It is a law of Nature that there MUST be psychopaths in society. It is part & parcel of Natural Selection. Psychopaths & sociopaths tend to climb their way to the top... it is in their character to do so; they let nothing get in their way.

So we have a cabal of them in the high echelons of power. To give meaning to their lives they often have ritualistic organizations that allow them some play-acting. Esoteric mystical things such as the Freemasons, and other much more secretive organizations, Illuminati, Rosicrucians, and so forth. Some are in allegiance with each other, some oppose each other. But prominent in all of them is that the common rabble, the tax payers, the 99% are mere bottom feeders, beasts of burden, livestock; to be used and abused as the mood takes their oppressors.

The mainstream news media are simply tools to propagate the illusion of "freedom & democracy". Yeah, pull the other one! In this centenary of WW1 recall how gleefully the sheeple went into battle to die for their masters. :read:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Oh hello. How’s the therapy going?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Galaxian wrote:

except the spire was carpentered with pine wood... if the fire took there, it would have been very easy.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:41 pm
Galaxian wrote:

except the spire was carpentered with pine wood... if the fire took there, it would have been very easy.
And the oak beams are nowhere near 800 years old. The last time they were replaced was in the 19th century. If it wasn't for Victor Hugo's novel, the church may have been demolished altogether instead. Victor Hugo was obviously not a member of the Deep State.