Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Seabass » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Separation of Church and State done right

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm
..and black people? A sea of white faces.
Stone County, Arkansas has fewer than 13,000 people living in, and 97% of them are white. 1.3% are Latino/Hispanic. 1.6% are mixed. And, 0.1% are black. That's about 12 or 13 total black people in the entire county - I guess we should expect half of them to be cops.

What's the police force like in Caredigion County, Wales? In line with the demographics there, would you say? How about Aberdeenshire in Scotland? How many coppers there are black or brown? You've got 1/2 a million people in Cornwall, 99% of them are white. How brown is their police force? Rutland County?

Might see a sea of white faces there.

There in Stone County, it's a rural farming community of 12,500 people in the middle of the Ozarks which happens to be 97% white in a country that is still 77% white overall.

Here is what it looks like:

No black people to be found! Good fly fishing, though.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?

They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:09 pm
The police issue is a serious one. I don't know if you've noticed but it's become normal to talk about who would win in an armed conflict between the progressive left in this country and the right.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
God, you're insufferable.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am

Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

No true Christian... :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

Exactly!

You got the sarcastic point. Of course they're Christians and they act in accordance with their beliefs, which motivates them

Now apply that Islam....

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

Damn Muslims, they're relentless, aren't they?

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

Damn Muslims, they're relentless, aren't they?
Indeed, they are. Wtf is your point?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Does Dennis ever have a point? Pointless posts are the speciality of TC.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:26 pm
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

Exactly!

You got the sarcastic point. Of course they're Christians and they act in accordance with their beliefs, which motivates them

Now apply that Islam....
I always have, but with one bonus nuance you are missing. There are numerous posts of mine to that effect. I can't be bothered to search for them, so I just repeat: True Muslims, just like true Christians, have been murderous, saintly and everything in between. No matter what they do, they all claim to be the true followers of their respective religions. The Bible contains the equivalent of the Qur'an's "Pay, Oh Children of Adam, as you would love to be paid, and be just as you would love to have justice!" and the hadith's "As you would have people do to you, do to them; and what you dislike to be done to you, don't do to them. Now let the stirrup go!" [This maxim is enough for you; go and act in accordance with it!]". Conversely, the Qur'an contains the equivalent of the Bible's "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." There really isn't a lot of difference between those holy texts. Followers just pick from them what suits them at the time, and whatever they pick is always The Truth™.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Indeed. True that!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:33 am

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

Getting a rise out of liberals seems a more pressing concern than whether teh cops' bandoliers contain the blessed bullets of Jesus.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:27 pm

I mean, come on folks, it's a podunk county in north-central Arkansas, in the Ozark mountains, policing 12,500 people. It's like complaining that the Royal Motto of England is “God and my right” or "Dieu et Mon Droit." Or, Hungary's motto - With the help of God for Homeland and Freedom or, Leichtenstein "For God, Prince and Fatherland." (lol...so THAT'S where they went...) Monaco - "with God's help." Newfoundland, Canada - "Seek ye first the kingdom of God" - Poland "God, Honour, Homeland" - Russian Federation "God is With Us."