Stars

Pogue

Stars

Post by Pogue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:55 pm

I was smoking a joint the other day and started wondering if earth will ever become a star If it gets blown up by technology, fire, and nuclear reactions.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Stars

Post by Animavore » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:03 pm

No. Stars are nuclear fusion reactors. Hydrogen converted to helium under immerse gravitational pressure.

At the very worst it could become a Venus-like hellscape with a runaway greenhouse effect. Though that's probably unlikely.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:56 pm

I’m surprised a member of this particular forum didn’t know that. Perhaps the dope..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm

if we managed to make Saturn collide with Jupiter, do you think the critical mass would be reached to make the mix flash up?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm
if we managed to make Saturn collide with Jupiter, do you think the critical mass would be reached to make the mix flash up?
Doubt it. Even if you put all the planets together as well as the asteroids and comets the Sun is still 30 times that mass.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm

thanks for the data, I knew that Saturn and Jupiter style gas giants were stars to small to light up , I didn't know by what order of size.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Pogue wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:55 pm
I was smoking a joint the other day and started wondering if earth will ever become a star If it gets blown up by technology, fire, and nuclear reactions.
No. It might become part of one, when the Sun expands into a red giant and eats us up.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 am

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm
Saturn is about as far from Jupiter as Jupiter is from the Sun. Getting them close enough to collide would be quite a feat.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:12 am

If Uranus tells Saturn that Jupiter has been sleeping with his wife then that could really blow up big time.

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT