BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:22 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:04 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:21 am
rainbow wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 am
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Leaving the EU doesn't prohibit trading with the EU. The UK will simply fall into another trade category. Once the UK leaves, then it can negotiate new treaties.
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :ab: :ab: :ab:

In three years the UK has failed to negotiate a deal.
:thinks:
How long would it take for the UK to renegotiate all its trade deals?
...just your estimate, to the closest decade will do.
This a bit old but still valid:
After Brexit: the UK will need to renegotiate at least 759 treaties
That does not include the vast amount of standards that have to be negotiated. It is huge and after their Brexit performance does really leave you wondering.

I am still with the notion that the whole sub plot of the right wing which is supported greatly by the world's 1% is the total destruction of the EU. It is not a lunatic conspiracy.

Bannon, although he is not the taste of the week, is not the only one but there lies a hard core in the 1% of the world (incl Russia) that hate big united free trade areas. They want to go back to the days of monetary speculation and cripple economies in order to make money. The EU has destroyed all their endeavours.

The Man Who Wants to Unmake the West

This is the real danger and many EU leaders and officials have often mentioned it.
All political blocks have enemies and rivals. Sadly it is the way of the world. They see each other as competitors one way and another - and of course go as far as killing each other in the process from time to time. The stupidity of men (mostly men anyway).
Interesting how that is portrayed - one side, the champion of the good, the generous, the self-less - they just want everyone to not be seen as competitors -- they don't want any monetary speculation, and they are in favor of helping economies (bot not for the dirty, vulgar reason of "making money" -- the EU has been a force for generosity, kindness and compassion, right?

The others -- they are the 1% -- just out for dirty money -- they don't cooperation, they want evil competition -- and speculation and they are out to cripple economies so they can make money on the crashed and crippled economies....

One side, good. Other side, evil. Can't even deal with the evils. They don't have a real position. The evils are dishonest from the get go. The good guys - Merkel - Juncker -- Donald Tusk - the European Council ,the Council of Europe - Euro Parliament - these folks are just out for what's best for the UK, like all members of the EU - they sit dumbfounded and aghast at how people would want to leave a group that does nothing but help its members equally - and all member boats are lifted by the rising tide of European success.

Just look at Italy - will there be a Quitaly? Perish the thought - the EU is so selfless, that all it's doing to helping Italy in a cooperative fashion ,and there is no possible way Italy could be better off outside the EU than in it. It would only be the forces of racism, deceit and bigotry that would suggest a Quitaly. We'll see when it gets hit with the "excessive debt procedure" for it's high-spending budgets. And, there is Greece again - which has elections coming up in October of this year - all it will take is a few more hateful bigots to be elected who well sell the damnable lie of Grexit to to the Greek people.....

The Polish prime minister said a Polexit is possible too - he called it "deadly serious."

So - you know - the portents of doom can't possibly be Europe's PR attempt to convince people that exiting the EU is a jumping from a frying pan into the fire - no not at all. After all, Poland and Greece and Italy - they're not in frying pans - they're in comfy, safe Sleep Number Beds - set to their particular preferences -- they'd be jumping from Shangri-la to Hades.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:31 pm
Anyway - panic if you like. But, the UK was once not part of the EU. It's not like it's life depends on the EU.
Me panic?

The worse it goes for the UK, the cheaper it is for me to visit.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:11 pm

BTW to correct your ignorance once again 42 the UK is still part of the EU and its life depends on it. Just leave us alone as your ignorance is an embarrassment.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

rainbow wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:31 pm
Anyway - panic if you like. But, the UK was once not part of the EU. It's not like it's life depends on the EU.
Me panic?

The worse it goes for the UK, the cheaper it is for me to visit.
The UK will be just fine.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:11 pm
BTW to correct your ignorance once again 42 the UK is still part of the EU and its life depends on it. Just leave us alone as your ignorance is an embarrassment.
I never said it wasn't still part of the EU. The vote has taken place, and Leave won. So, it's supposed to be exiting the EU. That's the discussion.

Go back to your mayonnaise laden french fries.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Your ignorance has reached as always the low of Trump. Leave claimed to have won the referendum three years ago but of the subtleties of European politics is away beyond you. Cant you find anything else to do in Moscow?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Well they’ve voted to ask for a delay. Can kicked down the road a bit..

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:47 pm
Once again I made a very stupid mistake reading your post. How is Moscow this morning?
It would have been three thirty in the afternoon in Moscow when that comment was posted. Give it a rest pal - you're starting to sound a little unhinged. Use the ignore function and be done with it.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm
Your ignorance has reached as always the low of Trump. Leave claimed to have won the referendum three years ago but of the subtleties of European politics is away beyond you. Cant you find anything else to do in Moscow?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Just so you know, Rum, Dutchy says Leave didn't really win. They "claimed" to have won, but due to the subtleties of European politics, apparently that's not the case.

Dutchy is so smart! Such an intellect.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 pm
Rum wrote:
Just so you know, Rum, Dutchy says Leave didn't really win. They "claimed" to have won, but due to the subtleties of European politics, apparently that's not the case.

I’ve been followingg the thread. Your understanding of the complexities is greater than his prejudices allow him to understand.

You are right of course. If all the negotiations in the world come to nothing in terms of an orderly exit, people will still want to trade. It’s what makes the world go round and people rich. But they’ll be a hell of a short term shock, including the likelihood of a recession.

And one thing that still won’t be resolved is the border in Ireland. A hard border, which would be the logical thing to put in place, will stir up the troubles again. There are already rumblings from the Republicans (the Irish ones!)

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:33 pm

What would happen if the EU doesn't have a majority vote to allow a delay? Crash-out Brexit? (In which case, the parliamentary vote against a no-deal Brexit would be very Canute-like...)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:33 pm
What would happen if the EU doesn't have a majority vote to allow a delay? Crash-out Brexit? (In which case, the parliamentary vote against a no-deal Brexit would be very Canute-like...)
I think it is very unlikely they will refuse but if they do we are out at the end of this very month.

An added complication, as if there aren’t enough, is that the European Parlimentary electioned are scheduled for 23rd May. If we have not left we should in theory be legally bound to hold them! What a shiftiest.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 pm
Rum wrote:

I’ve been followingg the thread. Your understanding of the complexities is greater than his prejudices allow him to understand.

You are right of course. If all the negotiations in the world come to nothing in terms of an orderly exit, people will still want to trade. It’s what makes the world go round and people rich. But they’ll be a hell of a short term shock, including the likelihood of a recession.

And one thing that still won’t be resolved is the border in Ireland. A hard border, which would be the logical thing to put in place, will stir up the troubles again. There are already rumblings from the Republicans (the Irish ones!)
He understands bugger all about European politics. He is used to the childish tantrums of of the Orange Manchild and like him he should refrain from passing any comments.

You dont seem to be doing much better of course. Northern Ireland is a totally different question but blame the Republicans why not. Simple is it not.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Jesus, you need to calm down. I sometimes wonder if the anger you spew here every day is what keeps you going.

If you are able to put a few rational thoughts together - a bit doubtful - what is it I ‘don’t seem to be doing much better’ at. ...ahhh - agreeing with your rants. Goddit.

Oh and if you think the NI issue is separate you are even more ga ga than I’m beginning to suspect you are.