Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

Post by Rum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 am

Best avoid being stolen, right?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:49 am

What being stolen?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 am

You. :ddpan:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 am

Who want to steal me? Some lunatic? :lol:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 am

You said it. :mrgreen:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Revealed: Facebook’s global lobbying against data privacy laws

Social network targeted legislators around the world, promising or threatening to withhold investment
Facebook has targeted politicians around the world – including the former chancellor, George Osborne – promising investments and incentives while seeking to pressure them into lobbying on Facebook’s behalf against data privacy legislation, an explosive new leak of internal Facebook documents has revealed.

The documents, which have been seen by the Observer and Computer Weekly, reveal a secretive global lobbying operation that has targeted hundreds of legislators and regulators in an attempt to procure influence across the world, including in the UK, US, Canada, India, Vietnam, Argentina, Brazil, Malaysia and all 28 states of the EU. The documents include details of how Facebook:

• Lobbied politicians across Europe in a strategic operation to head off “overly restrictive” GDPR legislation. The document includes extraordinary claims that the Irish prime minister said his country could exercise significant influence as president of the EU, promoting Facebook’s interests even though technically it was supposed to remain neutral.

• Used chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg’s feminist memoir Lean In to “bond” with female European commissioners it viewed as hostile.

• Threatened to withhold investment from countries unless they supported or passed Facebook-friendly laws.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Facebook

Post by Cunt » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:31 am

Rum wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:50 pm
One thing about Facebook. Post a picture of a dog or a cat being cute and you get 50 likes - or a lot more if you have loads of FB friends (I don't). Post a serious item, for example, I posted an article about a zip wire being installed, despite much local resistance in the Lake District (a terrible planning/zoning decision). The response? Nada, zero. Zilch.

Stay in touch but say nothing of interest basically. The medium truly is the message it seems.
Someone once pointed out to me that facebook doesn't have a 'dislike' button.

They are a distilled 'attention-whore', who angle for your views, clicks and likes. They are good at it, and we all learned that it wasn't safe to risk discussing anything more complicated than whether to go to McDonalds or Wendys.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Facebook

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 am

Rum wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:50 pm
One thing about Facebook. Post a picture of a dog or a cat being cute and you get 50 likes - or a lot more if you have loads of FB friends (I don't). Post a serious item, for example, I posted an article about a zip wire being installed, despite much local resistance in the Lake District (a terrible planning/zoning decision). The response? Nada, zero. Zilch.

Stay in touch but say nothing of interest basically. The medium truly is the message it seems.
It's not just Facebook. On forums, such as ratzkep for example, where you can give the thumbs up on individual posts, the serious ones get next to nothing, personal ones get a fair few, funny ones get a lot and sarcastic/bitchy/funny ones get swamped with them.

It's not as though nobody is interested in serious posts, though. They do tend to get a lot of attention and replies - just not likes.

Ratzkep is not the only forum where this happens either. It seems to be a general pattern.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 am

<like>
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 am

like, whatever...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:37 am

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm

We used to have a thing called a phone book. My name, address and phone number all in the public domain ready to be exploited.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Mark Zuckerberg leveraged Facebook user data to fight rivals and help friends, leaked documents show
The documents, which include emails, webchats, presentations, spreadsheets and meeting summaries, show how Zuckerberg, along with his board and management team, found ways to tap Facebook's trove of user data — including information about friends, relationships and photos — as leverage over companies it partnered with.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 pm

I love that manner of speaking about this stuff. "Found ways to tap.." - as if facebook had some system that it had to figure out how to use to get at user data. Facebook was created as a way to collect and use user data. That was it's purpose.

People on facebook aren't customers. They're product.

Soylent Green is people.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Employers already view with suspicion any candidate who doesn't share their social media accounts. Soon, you will be required to have one.

That won't be bad for everyone...
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.